Options

Camping Recommendations (Master List)

NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
edited June 2015 in Camping & Travel
Lots of good camping/campground recommendations here on the forums - Only trouble is they're scattered throughout various threads (many as side topics) and they are all in different formats so it's really hard to search for anything in the area one is in or thinking of going to.
The purpose of this thread is to try to standardize this a bit and have one thread that we can peruse/search for recommendations. Doesn't mean you can't continue posting them in other threads but hopefully you'll also post them here in a standardized way. Might be useful if you included in the description the date you stayed there and/or what you paid at that time and if you have a recommended site number.

Here's the format...
Discussion Title: State Code - Nearest City - Campsite Name - Type (NP, NF, COE, ST, CTY, MU, Commercial, etc)
Description:
Area Recommendations:
Cell Coverage:
Pictures:

Am thinking this thread shouldn't have comments unless it's to add some details or experience to an already listed location and one should still use the "Discussion Title" line to start it so it's still searchable.

Comments

• Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    edited November 2015
    AZ - Phoenix East side - Lost Dutchman State Park (SP)

6109 E Apache Trl Apache Junction‎ Arizona‎ 85219

Description: Site #45 - pull through -- beautiful Sonoran desert park. Very hot (110°+ in the summer) mild fall and spring, cool winters. Great mountain views, mostly quiet, great hiking, clean bath house, water and electric available

Area Recommendations: great little touristy gold mine railroad place close by with coffee shops and restaurants 

Cell Coverage: pretty good Verizon LTE.

Pictures: this was our maiden voyage!

Attached Image
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    Ok, bgualtieri jumped right in but the rest of you folks are pitiful - Come on gang, you can do it, go fetch your pics and add to the list. You know I'm gonna hound ya'll till you do :-)
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I am not going to repeat, but I have reviews and pictures for the following in other threads (hope it is OK to just cross reference)

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Jenn - Thanks - Would prefer to get them reposted here so someone doesn't have hop-skip-n-jump to all kinds of posts. Would be nice it it was just go to the master list and either search or scroll to the state designaters one is interested.
  • Options
  • Options
    Verna - Not here, just list and show your favorites or recommendations :-)
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    This is meant more for personal reviews/recommendations from T@B owners kind of like the folks at http://www.wheelingit.com/ do. With pics. Right now there are a ton on these forums but they're hard to find because they're spread out all over the place. "Show Us Your Setup" is one thread but that's really about how you set up your site.
  • Options
    KatsKats Member Posts: 95
    edited July 2015
    PA--Dingman's--Delaware Water Gap Recreational Area (National Park System)

1006 Rte 209, Dingman's Ferry PA

Description: beautiful, spacious, wooded campsites with water and electric. We had site 101. Nice, clean campground with showers. Friendly, helpful people at the store. Can rent canoes/kayaks for the river if you want, and there is a shuttle service if you float the river. It was very quiet there when we camped (on a Monday in July). You can walk down to the Delaware River. 

Unfortunately for us, we thought we might fly fish there. It wasn't the nicest river for that purpose. It was no more than knee deep where we were, the water was warm, didymo present on many rocks, and all I managed to catch in the sweltering humidity was a huge carp (ick), and a large smallmouth bass.  I imagine it is a better river to fish closer to the ocean where you can get some striped bass.  Other than that, it was lovely, and plenty of hiking/biking trails all around. Lots of deer.

Near Port Jervis, NY which is a pretty little town. 

Cell coverage is spotty.

This photo is from when we were packing up to head home...

• Options
    MN - Crosslake - COE Campground

Fairly big campground on Crosslake north of the damn - probably 100 sites. All sites have large trees and shade. Two new and very nice bathroom/shower facilities. Two dump stations. I'd recommend sites below #40 - I had #23 along the lake. #s 21, 23, 25, 27 (maybe 29) are along the lake and are very large so neighbors aren't very close.

Outside the campground, across the highway are amenities - bar/restaurant, coffee shop, gas station, breakfast restaurant (great), butcher shop. Within a couple blocks is a large grocery store, the largest hardware store (Ace) between Mpls and the Canadian boarder. Chocolate shop and pizza a couple more blocks away. Other bars/restaurants up the highway.

Cell coverage: 4-bars, LTE - Highspeed WIFi at both the bar, coffee shop and restaurant across the highway.

Pics... Forgot to take any :-(

Side note: Checked out another COE on my drive south that was also really nice with new facilities - Federal Damn on Leech Lake by Walker, MN
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Blythe, CA
    Mayflower County Park
    about 7 miles off I10 just north on 95
    quiet park next to the Colorado river.

There is a boat launch area and big tall trees and shady picnic tables. We didn't fish, but I saw lots of pan fry size swimming around. The sites are grassy and you back in. The  snowbirds aren't here yet so it was really quiet, there were more camp hosts than campers (us and two others) so we spread out.

Cons: The bath house/rest rooms were dirty (yay for our S model!!) and it is still pretty warm (98-99 last evening) - we slept with the AC on.

I would stop again - it's almost half way between PHX and the California coast. 

2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    CA - Laguna beach - Crystal Cove State Park Moro Campground (http://www.crystalcovestatepark.org)

Description: Wow. This one is as spectacular as they say. The park is pretty much full, but the sites are stepped up the hill, stadium style so everyone has a view of the ocean down the bluff. There is beach access through a tunnel under the pacific coast highway. There are sites with electric and water and there are dry sites. All are back in onto gravely cement. The bath houses are immaculate. The showers cost tokens, two for a dollar - two were enough for me.

Area Recommendations: the ocean. We saw a seal playing in the water this morning. As well as walking the beach there are hiking trials up the canyon. I'd like to go, but it's getting warm today. I might go tomorrow. The breezes are cool but today is unseasonably warm - upper 80s.

Cell Coverage: excellent -- full 3-4 bars LTE and there is free wifi all the way to the beach. The wifi was definitely functional using my iPad. This review was composed and posted from their wifi

Pictures:
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    edited October 2015
    Bgualtieri - Was it "hard" to get in (did you have to make a reservation well in advance)?
    And what site # did you have?

Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    We have site #16 right next to the bath house. There's shrubbery so it really isn't too close, and we turned the T@b to face sideways to the ocean. We got the site back in August and it was a little tough. We got only 3 nights, no weekend nights, though we could have stayed longer if we were willing to move to a different site.
  • Options
    We have site #16 right next to the bath house. There's shrubbery so it really isn't too close, and we turned the T@b to face sideways to the ocean. We got the site back in August and it was a little tough. We got only 3 nights, no weekend nights, though we could have stayed longer if we were willing to move to a different site.
    Good to know --- I'm hoping to get into some places overlooking the ocean (and realize I may have to book in advance). Thanks!

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    Michele - The only time I got snookered on a campground was on the Big Sur coast run. Ended up in a real nice county campground inland in towering redwoods so it wasn't bad but not on the coast. This was in Feb/Mar, thought it'd be low season but there were people everywhere.
  • Options
    CA - Coronado (San Diego) - Silver Strand SP beach - http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=654

Description: Well, it's basically a parking lot for RVs with electric and water hookups at every site. But it is RIGHT on the water. If you get the front row your T@b will be literally right next to the sand, steps from the surf. We are in site 310, the third row.

Cons: it is noisy - last evening had a tailgating atmosphere, kids riding bikes, helicopters and jets from the navy base going over, and of course packed in, no shade. Overnight last night, a couple had their expensive recumbent tandem bike stolen - someone with bolt cutters chopped the lock and took it. Our cheapie lawn chairs and mat were safe. There was a homless girl panhandling at supper time, the the cops came and shooed her off. Rules: you have to have an interior bath with grey and black tanks - they inspect. No showers, though there are flush toilets marginally usable.

Pros: THE BEACH! I lived in Sarasota, FL for 13 years near Siesta Key beach, perennially one of the 10 best beaches in the world. This beach is amazing.  Wide, clean sand, rolling beautiful surf, miles of open expanse. You can walk forever. There are a few shells, but not enough to bother tender feet. The town of Coronado is nearby (<5 miles - you drive through on the way) with lots of quaint artsy shops and upscale shopping if that's your thing. If you have kids, the beach is safe for younger ones to learn to enjoy the water - shallow for over 50 yards out less than chest deep, and the waves this week less than 4 feet. A family/grandkids friendly place.

This place is totally different than our AZ  camping and Crystal Cove where we were earlier this week, but I was needing my ocean fix really badly and the drawbacks are very worth it for me. Lots of zombies going by saying "it's so cute!" because we are by far the teensiest unit here.

• Options
    Maiden Voyage in Island Girl

Roper Lake State Park
    ~2 hrs east of Tucson, near Mt. Graham
    Site #35/pull-through, elec & water, $25/night

Pros: Lake area so lots of birds and ducks. A natural hot springs tub right on property. Boat launch (non-motorized) and a "beach area".  Right near Mt. Graham (I didn't go but if I were to go back I'd at least take a drive there and hike). Also about 4 miles south of the town of Safford, AZ (if supplies are needed).

Cons: Not enough hiking for my taste but one does lead to the top of a mesa so the views were nice.

T@B related thoughts after first trip:

Pulls great!

Getting ready to go and then setting up - a little hard for me getting the coupler down and locked and then pulled up upon arrival (but the silicone spray and rubber mallet are helping!). Also was hard for me to push in the electrical cord into the T@B (have to muscle it more). I'm sure the entire sequence will get easier the more I do it. LOVE the Bal leveler. Also love the custom foam mattress topper I had made to fit the twin bed I make up to sleep wheel to wheel.

As noted on another post, was disappointed the string came out of the blinds. Hoping I'm able to fix it myself (PXL - I know you said how to take the blinds off but is there a diagram of what goes where? That would be helpful).  Also, the city water inlet plug is too small and wouldn't stay in on the way back. Anyone have any recommendations on how to get it to stay in?

• Options
    Blind diagram - Never seen (or heard of) one.
    My little rubber plug has never stayed in. I finally just screwed my blowout plug in and leave it there.
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890

... Also, the city water inlet plug is too small and wouldn't stay in on the way back. Anyone have any recommendations on how to get it to stay in?
    Michelle, do a search for "City water cover."  Others have had this problem.  I have not so far, but there are some solutions listed in the discussion.  The PVC cap sounds like the best solution to me.  You could spray paint it black.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Lathrop State Park, Walsenburg, CO.  Just west of I-25 south of Pueblo, CO, on HWY 160.

This is Colorado's first state park.  Has great views of the Spanish Peaks.  Has fishing/boating lakes, hiking trails, horseback riding, nestled among scrub oak and pinon pines.  Flush toilets and coin-operated showers, which are in decent condition.

This park is located on HWY 160 and is on the way to Durango area.  The town is an old mining town and has the usual touristy attractions.

I highly recommend site 100 (where I'm parked) if you can get it.  Best view in the park, and close to bathrooms and shower house.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    RZRBUG said:

... Also, the city water inlet plug is too small and wouldn't stay in on the way back. Anyone have any recommendations on how to get it to stay in?
    Michelle, do a search for "City water cover."  Others have had this problem.  I have not so far, but there are some solutions listed in the discussion.  The PVC cap sounds like the best solution to me.  You could spray paint it black.

Just did and saw the suggestions. I'll check out the PVC cap but will measure first as I don't know the size. Thanks!

PXL - "Blind diagram - Never seen (or heard of) one". ---- I've searched the internet and there a lot of diagrams for restringing various rv blinds but I haven't seen one yet that's like ours.  When I popped the end cap off there were 2 screws. One holding the black string and one to the left of that. I assume that's the one to take it off.  It's one thing to get it off and another to figure out how to restring it. I've emailed Elsie to ask Ed for either a diagram or the brand name and type of blind so I might find something directly from them - I would rather have a plan to follow if possible. If I find one, I'll be sure to post.

• Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Larry -- I camped at Lathrop State Park for 5 days last fall and also LOVED it.  What a gem of a state park in Colorado.  So sorry I didn't know you were going to be there.  We will meet up one of these days.  Glad you had fun.
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    NV - Boulder City (Hoover Damn) - Boulder Beach NP Campground

Location: Just down the hill from Boulder City, NV and only 3-4 miles from Hoover Dam (a mile as the crow flies)

Description: Great little campground even though Lake Mead is way down so it's no longer lakeside (lots of sand now between the campground and water). Central water and flush toilets. Tree-shaded sites with plenty of foliage. Generally quiet. In winter months I've never found it more than half full. Have passed through here 4-5 times. Became kind of a crossroads for me last year. I like the northern section along the first two roads. These are pull-through but several have fairly low hanging branches so have never seen any big rigs in them. Makes for a nice big camping site without real close neighbors. Recommend sites 147, 144, 141 - all on first road. Have camped in 107 also. All of these (even though tree covered) allow you to get your solar panels out in the sun for most the day. In 147 you can pretty much get solar all day if you have an extension cable.

Recommendations: The Coffe Cup downtown Boulder City is an old style, family owned cafe with great breakfasts (closes at 2:00pm). Just a couple doors down is Jake's bar for burgers and drinks. The laundromat (Suds) on the eastern edge of the main road in Boulder City has very good, high-speed wifi. 

Cell Coverage: Great Verizon coverage in the campground, 3 bars, LTE

Pics...

This is site 147...

Oh, and Jenn, NP with a senior rate of $5/night :-)
  • Options
    I'm very excited to see this PXL as this will be my first major stop next year when I leave Tucson. I have friends in Henderson so will spend several days at that campground. I'm hoping very beginning of May won't be too crowded (?) and I can get a spot (as there are no reservations). Thanks!

• Options
    Michele - Another nice one on your journey north would be Katherine's Landing (part of the same Lake Mead NP park region) just north of the Davis Dam just north of Bullhead City. Same deal ($5), central water, flush toilets. Pay showers down and across the entrance road. Never saw that one more than half full.
  • Options
    Great - will add that one as well. Thanks!

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Good looking pics PX and a nice looking camp site too!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Michele - "I'm hoping very beginning of May won't be too crowded (?) and I can get a spot (as there are no reservations)" - With most no-res campgrounds I've stayed at (many), it's pretty much wide open Sun afternoons thru Thurs. Friday/Saturday's they tend to fill up if they ever do. I rarely try to get in one after noon on Friday.