Options

Water system pressure relief valves drip while closed, Alde

A few weeks ago, when parked on concrete, I noticed a small puddle under the pressure relief valves of my 2019 T@B400. Upon inspection today I noticed it again. Background: I have been living in my T@B for 11 months. I always use the water pump, never connected to city water. I always filter and soften my water. I regularly open the pressure relief valves to renew the air cushion in the Alde boiler (Alde manual specifies this after 10 days of use). Do you notice such a leak in your T@B's pressure relief valves?
2019 T@B400
TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
Southern California
Full-timer since 2019

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    @jimcenname - I wonder if this only occurs when you initiate the pump?  If you adjust the pump pressure, maybe it will stop?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    @jimcenname
    I observe this when I first connect to city water. It drips a small amount for a smallish period of time (30 mins or so), and then stops. 
    I'm going with it is normal...
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    After five years, mine started dripping.  Not much, just enough to notice a small puddle under the plastic tube.  Ordered a new valve from Alde (when it was easy) and replaced the faulty one in about 10 minutes.  No more dripping.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
    edited December 2020
    Update: I renewed the air gap (Alde calls it an air cushion) in the water heater by opening the hot water relief valve and the hot water tap on my kitchen sink and drained the tank. Just as the manual describes, about 2.5 gallons of water were released. I then refilled the tank by turning on the pump. After 24 hours of use no water leak. I'll update again if circumstances change. 
    2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    You can renew the air gap, by just turning off the pump and opening the relief drain valve for a few seconds with the hot water tap open.  This allows the air gap back into,the top of the tank, as air from the hot water tap is drawn into the hot water tank.  Do this for the Flow tank also.  No need to completely drain the tank.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
    @Denny16, what is the"flow" tank?
    2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited December 2020
    It is Flo, as in Alde Flo, the auxiliary preheat water tank, thst sits next to the Alde, the red tank behind the Alde shown here:

The Flo tank was added in mid 2019 (above example from a 2020 TaB400, they are under the red pipe going from them Flo to the Alde) so you might have one, if so, you will have a second yellow pressure relief valve for it, in addition to the one on the main Alde unit.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.