Options

Foldable/suitcase solar panel reviews

I'm in the market for a new solar setup. I'm leaning towards foldable/suitcase style panels. If you've bought panels within the last year or two I'd love to see a review - good or bad.

Thanks!
San Francisco Bay Area
2013 CS-S us@gi
Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab

Comments

• Options
    gderrickgderrick Member Posts: 15
    A couple of weeks ago I picked up an Allpowers 100W folding from Amazon for $119.  I like that it is a larger 2 piece design rather than the 3 or more fold design so not as floppy.  No built in stand but I believe most of those stands are too weak to be of much use.

The build quality looks good but I can't yet say if it preforms to spec with the couple of opportunities I've had for testing were partly cloudy days and the maximum delivered wattage I saw was 54 watts.
    2006 T@B
  • Options
    Newbomb_TurkNewbomb_Turk Member Posts: 18
    edited December 2020
    I have a Zamp 140W Unregulated portable solar panel set and a separately purchased Victron MPPT 75/15 controller. I used a short length of 10 AWG cable between the charge controller and the batteries and terminated the panel to regulator connections with Renogy MC4 connectors for easy setup. Battery bank is two Trojan T-105 6V wet lead-acid batteries.

The Zamp panel comes with its own carrying case which fits conveniently under the bed while traveling. The Victron controller has a nifty little app that allows you to monitor charge status on your phone.

Not cheap, but zero complaints.

• Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited December 2020
    @Marceline, we have a Renogy Eclipse 100W briefcase. Short answer is we're quite pleased with it. It keeps our stock 320's battery charged.

Sunny days it'll easily put out 4.5 to over 5 Amps.

The folded size is about 22 inches square (smaller than other 100W units we looked at). The unit seems to be a quality build. It comes with or without a charge controller and includes a nice carry case too.

We like it enough that we are going to buy a second 100W Eclipse briefcase and hook in parallel to feed a larger battery bank.

Price can fluctuate. I put one on my Amazon shopping list and am tracking it over time (as we aren't travelling right now). Amazon Warehouse offers them from time to time at a substantial discount. 

Edit: Our unit is the hard frame style (not the unit @VictoriaP describes below).

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    edited December 2020
    I bought this soft cased 100w Renogy Eclipse: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FWDHP6B/ (no longer available) due to its light weight and the high reviews of the Eclipse panels. Outfitted it with 20’ of cable and a Victron controller. Mixed emotions: definitely appreciate the lighter weight over the hard framed panels, and the Eclipse seems pretty efficient. Highest output I’ve seen was around 85w, average on a sunny NW day is around 70w. Hate the lack of a stand (it gets tossed on top of the car when in camp so I don’t accidentally step on it, but that limits positioning for maximum light), and for my region, I probably need more watts than this single suitcase produces. So I’m thinking about what to do next. I would definitely consider buying Eclipse again unless something proves even more efficient, but I think I probably should have gotten the framed ones.

My ideal would probably be to have a flexible panel on the trailer for charging while in transit, and a 200w suitcase, or for weight, two 100w suitcases linked together. 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    nbrandtnbrandt Member Posts: 63
    I have the Renogy 100 w suitcase.  I mounted it to a piece of plywood and then to the cover Tonau cover on the back of our Tundra.  I also wired it to the trailer - moving the controller for the solar panels to the tub of the T@B.  I mounted it so that it wouldn't get legs.  One could probably still steal it, but you would need some tools and time to get it done.  Probably not the best angle for full sun power, however the advantage (with an extension cord) was the ability to park the pickup in the sun and the trailer in the shade when camping.  On a 7000 mile trip this past summer it did a decent job of keeping up with the battery but am contemplating a battery upgrade and second 100 w unit and tying them together. 

• Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 542
    edited December 2020
    I bought a 100w Renogy suitcase to add to my Tab 400’s factory 200w roof panels. I am very pleased with the suitcase. I use it in shady sites to maximize the solar gain with a 30’ extension and I cable lock it to something secure to make it harder to steal. I also made a pivoting mount for my Jack-it bike mount to securely mount the suitcase mainly to top off batteries when under cover storage

@DenisP  - photo deleted due to size.
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    I have factory solar on my 2019 tab 400. Added connector and second victron smart solar, also a BMV battery mointor. This creates a Blutooth network which helps the two solar controllers share.
    Externally I bought Two renogy 100w panels with no controller. I connect them in parallel at the end of 15 feet of #10 gauge high voltage solar cable. Cable and connectors supplied by Renogy.
    There purchasing and support has been great. I chose the hard frame panels which have built in sturdy tilt legs and a soft case. They are pretty heavy, but sturdy. In Connecticut full sun I got about 65 Watts per panel. I would definitely buy from them again.
    I also added two more 6v golf batteries, same as the type already in it. Not sure if I would do that again.
    Looking for a good 2000watt inverter to replace my standard 1200watt unit.

• Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    edited December 2020
    Can't help with the OP's question but reading through the responses, have a related question of my own.
    I've been told that it's not advisable to mix solar panels from different manufacturers is not advisable, which would mean you shouldn't add say a Renogy panel to that of a T@B BD that has the factory Sunflare panel. Some of those responding in this thread seem to have done just that however.
    Can you combine solar panels from different makers, assuming you have a controller capable of handling the additional wattage?
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,670
    I have run panels from different manufacturers, but they were both 100 watt panels.  They matched up pretty closely on their specs, and it was not an issue. (I don't think!) Things get confusing when you start wiring panels with different spec.  This site has a rundown.......the math is a bit over my head, so I'm not even going to attempt a paraphrase.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    edited December 2020
    @CharlieRN it isn't so much the manufacturer, but the wattage and voltage of the panels that matters when combining panels.

If you are talking about rooftop and briefcase panels, I think you can get away with it as long as they feed into different controllers (anyone have a better answer to that concept?).

Here is a link to an article that may help.

Mixing solar panels – Dos and Don’ts • SOLAR PANEL SECRETS EXPOSED (solarpanelsvenue.com)

Edit:
    Wow! @pthomas745 you type faster than me...same source noted.  :)

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,670
    @CrabTab So funny.  That is a great page to use.  I'll have to go back and set my panels up like this again and see what my Victron tells me.  Both Renogy, but about six years apart in age. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    SubaruLouSubaruLou Member Posts: 119
    I just bought two of the new Rockpals 100W on a Black Friday deal: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CDNFH7M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Unfortunately, they’re not still on sale. I paid $179 each.
    I had watched several positive video reviews about the upgraded Rockpals and other panel reviews mentioned the importance of ETFE on the surface to protect the panel, which these have. 
    I have only tested these in less than optimal sun (Dec at 3pm). With both chained together attached to my Goal Zero, they were delivering just under 100W of power. Working at half capacity may sound bad, but my set up was laughable so I was pretty happy. All of the connections and wires look really sturdy/heavy gauge and they come with several different connection options. The corners have grommets and there are kickstands on the back, although those seem a little flimsy. The case is great, with an integrated handle and pocket for all the wires. 
    2019 T@B 320 S  |  2019 Subaru Ascent
  • Options
    rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    Another Renogy 100w suitcase fan. Purchased over two years ago on open box program. Arrived in like new condition. Added 20’ extension cables and SAE plug with direct connection to tub battery. We use it all the time and in full sunlight it can recharge the battery in 5-6 hours. Also have spare battery powering 1800w inverter and use it to top off that system. It full cloudy conditions and light rain/drizzle it still puts out between .5 to 1.5 amps. 
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI