Options

National Parks - Best Times to Visit

NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
I'm not big on crowds so found this chart handy...
Here's the link to the article... http://www.lonelyplanet.com/canada/travel-tips-and-articles/76839

Comments

• Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    Thanks!
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
    vitovito Member Posts: 181
    I just returned from Sequoia and Yosemite a few weeks ago, i.e., mid May. Sequoia was great but we did encounter some really cold weather which we didn;t expect ( 33 degrees and some snow) and Yosemite was already really, REALLY, crowded. Maybe its the proximity to L.A., but with as crowded as it was, I can't imagine trying to visit Yosemite once the schools are out across the country and the tourists really start showing up. We also visited Death Valley, and mid-May was fine. It did get a bit hot (100 degrees at Furnance Creek) but not intolerable, and the other parts of the NP were not as severe. Crowds were tolerable and areas off the main road were empty of visitors most of the time. If you never thought of visiting Death Valley, I guarantee you that it is a place well worth visiting. 
    2016 T@b S Maxx
    2011 Subaru Outback
    Rockford, Illinois
  • Options
    Couldn't agree more - Death Valley should be on your list - Don't think I've ever been in an area of such interesting geology. Warning - Don't exit west from Stovepipe Wells, 9% grade, 42 minutes of up. Would be a pretty drive with all the hairpins, etc if you weren't pulling a camper. 'Twas a struggle and you better make sure your brakes work because once you crest, there's 9% on the way down also.
  • Options
    vitovito Member Posts: 181
    I was in a car for my recent road trip, with no trailer. Many roads in that part of the country were fascinating, but I do wonder about how I would be able to handle them with a T@b behind my Outback. My wife was scared to death on several of the roads, and just kept repeating that she was glad we didn't take this trip by motorcycle! I think if I were planning to go back through Death Valley (and we did exit to the west past Panamint Springs) I would want a more powerful tow vehicle than my 6-cylinder Outback. And as for interesting roads, if you ever have the opportunity to ride US 191 north from Clifton to Alpine, AZ (we were heading to the Petrified Forest NP) you are in for an experience. About 85 miles with no services, and we saw only two vehicles the entire way. No cell phone service, speed limits at times of only 15 mph for miles at a time due to the twisting and slope of the road, and sheer drop offs made for an exciting ride. Again, it was challenging enough in just a car (I had to use the paddle shifters to downshift and not keep constant pressure on my brakes) that I doubt I would want to ride there with a trailer. It reminded me of taking US 14 (Alternate) through north western Wyoming on our way to Yellowstone NP last year. Not for the skittish driver!
    2016 T@b S Maxx
    2011 Subaru Outback
    Rockford, Illinois
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    The only thing you need to consider about the chart is that sometimes there is clumping because tit is the only time when most of the part is accessible due to weather. :) That being said, a winter trip to Yellowstone is on my "to do" list. :)

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    So, what is the best way to get into and out of Death Valley pulling the T@B? Coming in from the West on 190 is out. On my atlas that leaves only 127 North out of Baker, or 373 South out of Nevada, to the junction of 190 at Death Valley. Thanks!

• Options
    Depends on where you're coming from or going to. All I know is I'll take any of the other routes next time unless I have a V8. 190 was 42 minutes f mostly 3rd gear at 3000rpm and 20-30mph with my 6-cylinder Jeep. It was the shortest route from Death Valley to Lone Pine CA (one of my favorite boondock areas.
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    kybob said:
    So, what is the best way to get into and out of Death Valley pulling the T@B? Coming in from the West on 190 is out. On my atlas that leaves only 127 North out of Baker, or 373 South out of Nevada, to the junction of 190 at Death Valley. Thanks!
    Where are you coming from?  If you are coming down 395 I would not do the big detour to take 127 just to avoid 190.  If you are coming in from the south 127 is a beautiful road to take into the park. 
  • Options
    Death Valley is on my "must see list" as I think about our travels with the T@B. I'm not sure which way we would be coming from. Most likely we'd be coming from Arizona where friends live.

• Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    Parumph, 178, then 127 through Shosone, then 190, beautiful roads.  
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I've come in from Baker, Parumph and Beatty - All are fine entrances (or exits).
    190 from the west would be a great entrance to if you could have a chopper drop you and your T@B off at the top of the mountain.
  • Options
    Will2015Will2015 Member Posts: 9
    Surprised to see the North Cascades NP not listed. I have been to most of these and the North Cascades ranks right up near the top. Would strongly recommend you get to it if you havent seen it.
    My favorite campground there is Newhalem.

Put it on my T@B
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    The trip up through Death Valley through the panamints is beautiful.  i did it three times in a four cylinder Forester over the past four years.  Not an easy drive, but there are some wonderful long views of Death Valley that make it worthwhile for me.  Other places in Death Valley include racetack rock playa (requires four wheel drive), Titus Canyon is also stunning to drive thru (4 wheel as well).  If it was a wet winter, March - April sees the desert bloom (another winner time).  I've been there in September, January, March-April and May and was impressed each time I went.  Highly recommended.  (If you want to be frightened, take 156 through the lower sierras ... now that will stress out your vehicle).  

I like going though Jubilee Pass coming in from the south end (splits off from 127) , but have taken 190 in both directions as well.  127 from Joshua and down 190 if I'm coming from the Bay Area.  

May be high season in Jan - march but it is large place, easy to get away from the beaten path.

I generally try to do a death valley, joshua tree run at least every other winter.  Amazing skies in joshua (though much colder in January in my experience). 

Used to live by Yellowstone and it is COLD in the winter.  By April, it is starting to get reasonable and the roads are generally good by early may.  Last time I was there in early May, road sections were closed making it a bit difficult to get to some locations (particularly Lamar Valley with lots of wildlife).  It was doable but took some driving.  Madison Campground is open year round and the bison took over the valley in spring my last visit; lots of baby bison running through the meadows of the Gibbon and Madison.  Fox and wolves were generally in the lamar valley area.  

Top of my current bucket list is Oregon to Canadian Fjords of Howe Sound in British Columbia.  Hoping to make the trip this spring (I've done Oregon and Washington, but not north of Vancouver).  May try and catch Banff in late May during the same trip.   We'll see.

Second the North Cascades as well.  

They are all nice. 
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    As I'm starting to compile a bucket list of future T@B adventures I'm wondering if there is a good source of info on roads - grade, twistiness etc. Any way to know in advance?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    2canoe2canoe Member Posts: 74
    Photomom said:
    As I'm starting to compile a bucket list of future T@B adventures I'm wondering if there is a good source of info on roads - grade, twistiness etc. Any way to know in advance?
    Try mountain directory.com
    Also, the Allstays app has some information about grades and passes.  We are hoping to drive into Bella Coola in BC and we understand there is an 18% grade!
    2canoe, 2015 T@B Q-Max
  • Options
    KyBawpawKyBawpaw Member Posts: 183
    Wonder why Mammoth Cave Nat Park in Ky is omitted? Any others?
    "Not all those who wander are lost"- J. R. R. Tolkien 
    2014 T@B-S
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    Lots.  In California Lassen, Pinnacles and redwood aren't on.  Great Basin (dark sky and bristlecone pines) in Nevada, Crater Lake in Oregon (great blue water), North Cascades (great jagged peaks)  in Washington , just to name a few on the west coast.  I've been to all these parks and they are wonderful places, highly recommended for any bucket list. In Colorado, Gunnison (great canyon and less visited location), Great Sand Dunes (massive dunes and interesting weather), Mesa Verde (great sunsets and history) also quite spectacular.
  • Options
    BBchBumBBchBum Member Posts: 105
    I think it would be safe to say that all the National Parks are worth a visit. Each has it's own unique beauty. I haven't been to one where I wasn't thinking I need to get back here again. 
  • Options
    BBchBumBBchBum Member Posts: 105
    That said I'd recommend Yellowstone in late April/early May - the animals are still down and generally not to many people - and generally most of the roads are open.