Options

WiFi Antenna - Extender

I’m poking around the Internet regarding an antenna that would pick up our WiFi signal in the house and allow access in our barn.  I would like to be able to use my iPad out in my man cave or while in the 400 in the barn.  I’m guessing the barn is 75-80 yards out from the house.  Has anyone got any recommendations or experience in using the range extending antennas?  I use my iPhone to mirror TV programs but would like to use the iPad out there as well...  Thoughts or suggestions?   

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ

Comments

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 930
    edited December 2020
    We have been using an earlier version this BearExtender for years.  It makes wifi in most campgrounds work amazingly well in areas where the laptops built in wifi does not work at all. 
    https://www.bearifi.com/collections/cyber-monday-deals-2019/products/bearextender-v3-pc-usb-wifi-booster-new-for-2015
     We also have a external antenna accessory we use if in one place for a while.
    https://www.bearifi.com/collections/all-current-products/products/heavy-duty-7-dbi-antenna-with-11-ft-rp-sma-extension-cable-and-magnetic-base
    They have products for PC and Mac

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited December 2020
    You can set up an access point as a WiFi repeater, or you can install a dedicated mesh repeater.

Our home system is set up with a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter with an external ethernet-wired Unifi (Long Range) WiFi Access Point, and a Unifi Mesh Repeater (the repeater is weatherproof, and mounted outdoors).

I installed the Mesh Repeater on the outside of the barn (maybe 150 feet out back), so I could use the WiFi back by the pond.

They're all made by Ubiquiti, and both WiFi units have the function to 'mesh' with each other natively built in.

The Mesh Repeater has two radios, so is able to transfer data at close to full WiFi speed. If it were just a single radio, not mesh, it would cut the WiFi transfer in half, needing to transmit/receive both from the house and to my device.

It's hard to know, without trying it, whether you will get the range you need from the Wi-Fi access point and the repeater. My house is an old farmhouse with plank walls, that Wi-Fi has a hard time getting through, so I was unsure if the signal would get out. It seems to work okay though.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I’m probably out from the house about 75-80 yards maybe?  
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    Is the barn power service on the same meter/ breaker panel as the house?  I’ve been using a power line network extender from one end of the house to the other.  It supplies a wired connection and Wi Fi.  Works great.  Sometimes I have to reset the transmitter and receiver to synchronize them back up. I’m running a wired desktop PC and 3 streaming TV adapters.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited December 2020
    Mike, the access point (AP) I was referring to is this (from their literature):
    "The UniFi ac LR Access Point is an indoor, long-range 802.11ac dual-radio access point, capable of speeds up to 1317 Mbps with a range of up to 183 meters"

That range however becomes limited by walls and tree branches etc, so your have to expect less for this indoor model.

The UniFi® AP-Outdoor (outdoor model, which has the same range specification) mounted outdoors gives you the possibility to have line of sight transmission (no walls to go through) if your barn is in view of the house. You could mount it on the outside of your house and direct-wire it from your router (it supports POE, so no need for a separate power connection). You'd need two in that case - one on the house and one on the barn. They go for around $99, I think.

Also, you would need to be a little tech-savvy and be able to set up an AP - not necessarily difficult though.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    This won’t get accomplished until next year as we are heading west soon.  And yes, it is powered off of the same service line.  
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    This won’t get accomplished until next year as we are heading west soon.  And yes, it is powered off of the same service line.  
    I would look into the powerline system.

It'll be the easiest and least expensive.

And if you get it thru Amazon and it doesn't do what you need, they'll take it back without a hassle.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL