simple solution to draft from air conditioner

The last time I went camping ( November)  I noticed that sitting on the bench  under the air conditioner I felt an awful draft coming thru the air conditioner unit. I have a 2016 Tab Max S 400.. So today I fixed it ( I hope) with a very simple  solution.
 I cut a piece of that shiny insulated fabric ( a friend gave me some) and put a couple of velcro hooks on each corner  and on the T@B air con frame and voila it covers the outside perfectly. Of course it will only go on once I am parked and  this is just a winter thing.. 

Comments

• 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    When I first bought my 320, gazing in bliss at the interior, by eye was blinded by a bit of sunlight that was sleeping through a crack between the air conditioner & the beauty trip that surrounds it. 

My first modification was was to remove the trim and cram insulation around the air conditioner in its opening.  The beauty trim covers it. Since then I have added a plexiglass cover, similar to what you have done, but sealed with window/door seal and J bolted to the louvers.  It is sealed tight, and withstands Hwy speeds.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • ReenieGReenieG Member Posts: 175
    @4ncar do you have a pic you can post of your cover?
    2018 T@B 320S / 2020 Chevy Traverse V6 AWD / Phoenix, AZ
    @ReenieG: I will look to see, & if not, I will take one. Stand by...
    2018 320S Outback
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited December 2020
    @4ncar, your photo may resolve it, or I may simply be mistaken in how you closed off the air/light entering your trailer, but can you clarify where and how much insulation you crammed around the air conditioner?

If you stuffed the area on both sides of the air conditioner, and assuming it  is the same/similar to the Danby A/C, then aren't you cutting off the Exterior Air Inlet that is located on at least one side of the A/C?  I looked at the Danby owner's manual and it depicts the inlet on the filter opening on one side, but I cannot specifically recall when I removed my Danby A/C in the past if there are air inlets on both sides.

If you only closed off the area immediately behind the decorative molding around the interior face of the A/C, then that isn't an issue, but I would think you would have problems (while running the A/C) if you filled those side voids full of insulation.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

@Bayliss:  The insulation was only put around the front edge of the Danby, behind the inside beauty trim. No additional insulation within the cavity for which the Danby resides. 
    2018 320S Outback
    @ReenieG:  see pic below. 
    2018 320S Outback
  • SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 418
    I did the same mod without the center bolt.  I was concerned I was pushing the j-bolt too far into the screen behind the vent.  I ended cutting a little bit off of the curved end of the j-bolts.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
    @Slackers: I used Stainless Steel eyelets, as I couldn’t find “j” bolts in ss, and used a cut off wheel to make them “j.” They hook the grill, and are no where near the cooling fins.
    2018 320S Outback
  • ReenieGReenieG Member Posts: 175
    edited December 2020
    @4ncar thanks.
    Here's my mod. It was easy and cheap. I used that plastic board that looks much like cardboard and some of those 3M stick on plastic hooks. If I can figure out a way to add one on the right side where I slide it in, I may be able to leave it on, but for now, this is only for parking.
    I may see if I can make something more for highway speeds but for now, when parked I can cover the vent, but I still feel cold air coming in. I may need to add some bubble wrap, foam or wall insulation inside the trip as well to keep the draft out. I think it's affecting my
    thermometer/sensor on the Alde heater unit quite a bit.

2018 T@B 320S / 2020 Chevy Traverse V6 AWD / Phoenix, AZ
    @ReenieG: previously, I mentioned how I used fiberglass insulation to plug the gaps around the ac unit. This should help in the cold air infiltration, I’ll try to snap a pic of mine tomorrow. I also used sticky backed window/door insulation tape around my plexi cover, it helps to seal the plexi tight to the grill. You can see it in the pic above, it looks like a gray border.
    2018 320S Outback