Help, I think I blew a fuse...

Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
Thankfully still in the driveway, while plugged into house power, I was running the Alde and a space heater plugged in the kitchen outlet (while the Alde was warming up). After a few minutes, the space heater lost power and I'm not sure if the Alde was still generating heat - but it sounded like it was still running. The overhead lights still work but the kitchen outlets seem to be dead. Any suggestions on what to check? 

Update: the Alde seems to be running but no longer generates any heat.

I read through https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/3512/fuses-for-newbies/p1 and ran out and bought most of the fuses on the list - I'll try to find the 3.15 amp ones for the Alde tomorrow. I opened the circuit breaker box and checked some of the blade fuses. None were obviously blown. No red lights on the fuse panel and none of the breakers had tripped either. 

Thankfully, I'm still in the driveway and was not out winter camping when this happened. What have I done???
It's a 2014 T@B 320 S, brand new to me.
2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada

Comments

• dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @Mellow_Yellow, what were you plugged into at home? A properly wired 30 amp plug? More than likely, you were plugged into a standard 15 or 20 amp circuit and tried to pull more power than that through the circuit. Check the house outlet or breaker. If you have not popped that breaker, check the reset on your g.f.c.i. outlet in the trailer. Not sure where that is located on a 2014, but is usually a small reset button on the inside outlets located on the face of the benches, somewhere near your converter.
    If you are running your trailer on a standard household circuit, only use the single lightning bolt setting for the alde. And then limit the accessories or amount of power to the 15 amp combined limit. I have run my alde on the single heating element and the fridge on electric since 2016 and not tripped the 15 amp house breaker. I can also run the 5,000 btu a/c and the fridge on electric in the summer without overdrawing or tripping that household circuit.  I would start troubleshooting there first rather than the trailer in this instance. And good luck with this. Keep us updated on your progress.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    You might have popped the breaker either in the house side of your power, or a circuit breaker inside the converter itself.  Turn that heater around and read the label that talks about how many watts the heater uses.  If it was cranking out a thousand watts and your Alde was too.....that sounds like circuit breaker check time for me.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,393
    What you describe is consistent with a complete loss of 120V shore power (in this case--as noted above--most likely from overloading the circuit you are plugged into and tripping a breaker in your house's panel).

Your lights continued to work because they run on 12V--when shore power is lost the T@B battery takes over.

The same is true for the Alde. The Alde's circuitry and circulator will continue to run on 12V, however, the Alde's electric heaters will not. That's why the Alde appeared to be working but wasn't generating any heat!
    2015 T@B S
  • Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    thank you @dragonsdofly , @pthomas745 and @ScottG SO much for your speedy replies! The house circuit breaker had indeed been tripped. I reset the house breaker and started the Alde on the first 'lightning bolt' setting. We had quite a cold snap last night and it's starting warm up in there. The learning process continues - the T@B is tougher than I thought!
    2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada