Options

Installing Battery Monitor By Door on 400

Of all the mods I’m getting ready for (once we get our 400) the battery monitor is high up on my list. My question is how difficult is it to run the wiring from the battery to the front door location where all of the other control panels are? I could more easily install it by the bed but my OCD demands that it be next to all of the other panels. 
2021 400 BD
2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    The battery monitors with bluetooth capability will save your OCD from going into overdrive. The bluetooth phone apps make the displays (and the effort to run the wiring) redundant.
    My OCD, however, makes me enjoy checking the app more often than I ever imagined!
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    Well OCD aside, when we had ours installed the put it right outside the closet door next to the bed area. It was a much easier installation so it saved us some money (we had it installed at NuCamp when they did our solar at the same time). It's pretty unobtrusive, and I always use the app on my phone anyway, so I don't even notice it. We only had the physical monitor installed in case something went wrong with the app, and to have it visible for eventual resale. I might be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that the closer to the battery it is, the more accurate it is. Someone who knows more than I do can correct me if I'm wrong. 
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    The battery monitors with bluetooth capability will save your OCD from going into overdrive. The bluetooth phone apps make the displays (and the effort to run the wiring) redundant.
    My OCD, however, makes me enjoy checking the app more often than I ever imagined!
    This is my 2nd option but it does bother me to have a perfectly usable display locked away under the bed. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Deb55 said:
    Well OCD aside, when we had ours installed the put it right outside the closet door next to the bed area. It was a much easier installation so it saved us some money (we had it installed at NuCamp when they did our solar at the same time). It's pretty unobtrusive, and I always use the app on my phone anyway, so I don't even notice it. We only had the physical monitor installed in case something went wrong with the app, and to have it visible for eventual resale. I might be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that the closer to the battery it is, the more accurate it is. Someone who knows more than I do can correct me if I'm wrong. 
    I’ve heard the same as well. I do like just being able to quickly glance at the display vs. launching an app but maybe checking battery status isn’t something that warrants a quick glance constantly. Renogy makes a much cheaper (and more visual) battery monitor for half the price but without Bluetooth. 

Renogy 500A Battery Monitor, High and Low Voltage Programmable Alarm, Voltage Range 10V-120V and up to 500A, Compatible with 12V Lithium Sealed, Gel, Flooded Batteries https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RP5B5P7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_DLm6Fb2GC4NFP
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 611
    You could buy the Victron Smart Shunt.  Then you wouldn't have the display under the bed and you'd still have Bluetooth.  I have my display under the bed since the Smart Shunt wasn't available when I bought mine.

Routing the display wiring isn't too difficult.  If you look behind the kitchen sink you'll see a horizontal black PVC pipe that's the conduit for the wires going to the controls next to the door.  Pull the drawers out between the sink and the frig (if installed) to follow the conduit.  Depending on how OCD you are, you can just zip tie the display cable to the outside of the conduit, or try to run it inside the conduit.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    Horigan said:
    You could buy the Victron Smart Shunt.  Then you wouldn't have the display under the bed and you'd still have Bluetooth.  I have my display under the bed since the Smart Shunt wasn't available when I bought mine.

Routing the display wiring isn't too difficult.  If you look behind the kitchen sink you'll see a horizontal black PVC pipe that's the conduit for the wires going to the controls next to the door.  Pull the drawers out between the sink and the frig (if installed) to follow the conduit.  Depending on how OCD you are, you can just zip tie the display cable to the outside of the conduit, or try to run it inside the conduit.
    Oh wow. Didn’t realize they have that option. Much cheaper too. 

Sounds easy enough to route the wires...although it is yet another display to mount over in that area. Sounds like once you get your wires to the bed area then things are fairly accessible.

Maybe that smart shunt is the way to go. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502
    edited December 2020
    Horigan said:

Oh wow. Didn’t realize they have that option. Much cheaper too. 

Sounds easy enough to route the wires...although it is yet another display to mount over in that area. Sounds like once you get your wires to the bed area then things are fairly accessible.

Maybe that smart shunt is the way to go. 
    I have a SmartShunt. I got one of the first shipments to the US so I’ve had it for nearly a year. I’m very happy with it. Because there is no wiring to run to a display unit it is extremely easy to install. 

I recommend Bay Marine Supply for knowledgeable, friendly service. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    As a cheaper alternative I have just put it n the AILi shunt and monitor 

So far it works great, and I am going to put the monitor on the panel below the television above an outlet that is there. Helps my OCD to not have it in my line of sight during the day, but able to check at night when I get that feeling that I need to see how many amp hours are left😊

pics of my location and information at the thread below 

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/12517/battery-monitor-recommendation-non-solar#latest

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    @Deb55 the item that needs to be close to the battery negative lead is the shunt itself. The monitor can be anywhere the wire will reach.

Bluetooth ones make that a non issue but my other Bluetooth accessory is a propane monitor that never seems to connect reliably. So I am still ok with a wire.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    We have the Victron with a Bluetooth dongle.  I like being able to monitor our battery en route as we run the ARB frig on 12v.  Not that the ARB ever requires much, but it is nice to see the performance from the van.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio