Options

Use sump-pump hose for grey water

cmaccmac Member Posts: 90
Hi everyone!
Too much time on my hands during this time and getting too cold to spend much time outside, sooo, I've been thinking about how to make/modify my grey water setup for easier handling but yet good drainage to the sewer inlet.

First, I'm talking about a 2007 Dutchman Clam Shell with kitchen type grey water only.  I currently use a modified connection to the drain to hook up a standard RV sewer hose. Works well but is bulky to store.

So, I had this revelation, why not use sump-pump hose instead - cheaper and is approx. 1 1/4 or 1 1/2" inside diameter.  BUT, would this reduced diameter drain as well as the larger hose?  (In the past I tried 3/4" garden hose without success)

Has anyone tried using sump-pump for their grey water only drain and if so, how did it work?

Thanks,
John

John & Cheryl
2007 T@B ClamShell by Dutchman "Goli@th"
2018 Chevy Colorado V-6
Edmond, OK

Comments

• Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    edited December 2020
    cmac said:
    Hi everyone!
    Too much time on my hands during this time and getting too cold to spend much time outside, sooo, I've been thinking about how to make/modify my grey water setup for easier handling but yet good drainage to the sewer inlet.

First, I'm talking about a 2007 Dutchman Clam Shell with kitchen type grey water only.  I currently use a modified connection to the drain to hook up a standard RV sewer hose. Works well but is bulky to store.

So, I had this revelation, why not use sump-pump hose instead - cheaper and is approx. 1 1/4 or 1 1/2" inside diameter.  BUT, would this reduced diameter drain as well as the larger hose?  (In the past I tried 3/4" garden hose without success)

Has anyone tried using sump-pump for their grey water only drain and if so, how did it work?

Thanks,
    John

I'm using a sump pump hose (two 25s hooked together), but I have it connected to a 12 volt maceator pump to empty my black and grey tanks at home.

Using the pump it works great.

Not too sure how the hose would work just using gravity, unless the run is a mostly downhill slope.

But if you utilized a small pump and the hose, it might still take up less space than the equal length of the normal sewer hose.

And you might not need a maceator type pump if you only have water in the tank and not a lot of kitchen scraps.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 930
    edited December 2020
    I've been using this waste water line made from "sump pump hose" for my 2009 CS for many years.  Very lightweight and compact.  No problem with flow and no vent required.

More discussion in this thread:
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/142387#Comment_142387

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Question. Why didn’t 3/4” hose work? I have used a 1/2” hose to drain gray water onto the grass at home many times. The hose must always be lower than the tank.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    edited December 2020
    I use the same thing as you. a modified sewer hose to drain my 2007 Clamshell. I mounted a hose holder on the front of the trailer. I have removed my propane tank, but this will fit behind the propane tank.

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL