Options

T@B 400...what’s the deal with the countertop?

manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
I think this has been discussed but I can’t find the thread.

On all new 2021s the space between the stove and sink has pretty much been halved by the mew placement of the stove. On older models that space was huge because the stove was more to the right. Why did they move the stove over?

I see the argument of now having equal room on both sides of the stove but, for me at least, I’d think most people would rather have one large space versus halving that space...right? 

If this was just an arbitrary decision I’ll just stick it in my bin of questions along with “why is the exterior storage door so small and unlockable now?” 

Is there a functional reason for the change?
2021 400 BD
2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 

Comments

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I haven't been in a new one, mine is 2919, but it might have to do with the fridge/stove interference? Both of those are a different model than older 400's.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,003
    I have a 2021 and actually like the way the counter is now divided.  The space to the right of the stove now has more room and is a nice space to put a coffee pot or other items.  It keeps them out of the middle of the counter and prep space.  So far we still feel like we have plenty of prep room, especially if we have the sink cover down during prep.   

As far as the door goes I do wish it was slightly larger.  I do like how tight it seals and the magnetic catch on it though.  But I guess they just went with an off the shelf door that came in that size.  And it should come with a lock.  I saw a photo of that same door with a lock in it months ago but for the life of me can't find it again.  So I believe it exists.  If anyone finds it let me know!  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    bergger said:
    I have a 2021 and actually like the way the counter is now divided.  The space to the right of the stove now has more room and is a nice space to put a coffee pot or other items.  It keeps them out of the middle of the counter and prep space.  So far we still feel like we have plenty of prep room, especially if we have the sink cover down during prep.   

As far as the door goes I do wish it was slightly larger.  I do like how tight it seals and the magnetic catch on it though.  But I guess they just went with an off the shelf door that came in that size.  And it should come with a lock.  I saw a photo of that same door with a lock in it months ago but for the life of me can't find it again.  So I believe it exists.  If anyone finds it let me know!  
    Good to hear the prep space is still ok. Just seemed odd not to capitalize on that huge space in between the sink and stove. 

I remember reading somewhere on here where somebody either did or was looking to add a lock on this door. I know you can buy a cheap cylinder lock and drill a hole in the cover to install it but those aren’t real secure...and I guess neither is the previous years’ door that matched the sidewalls (the typical rv storage doors. But any lock is better than no lock.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    bergger said:

@bergger
    I agree with both your comments. The counter layout works great...it is actually nice to have some counter to the right of the stove.
    And the outside storage door could certainly use a 'super-sizing'...but is usable - particularly given the relatively small space that is available behind it. But even so, a longer door would make the small space a bit easier to use. I use tool bags from Harbor Freight to store a lot of stuff under there...the bags just fit through the door, but allow me to get 4 of them in there and keeps things pretty organized. 
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Post up some photos. 👍🏻
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    edited January 2021
    Interesting change. Here's a pic from nuCamp website to give a sense. Also see nuCamp went with twin doors for the under the sink cabinet as well as changes to drawers and under the fridge storage. Seem like a good changes.  

Thoughts from 2021 owners?

2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    Here is a 2020 for comparison:

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Yeah, in theory it seems like the big space between the sink and stove would be more useable. I can see putting a drying rack there or being able to cook as well as prep and have the sink available without having to do musical chairs with the sink lid. But I guess theory and practice are two different things. We’ll see once we get ours. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Thanks, @Sharon_is_SAM. Gee, that looks familiar!  ;)

I like the larger space between the sink/stove but no doubt I could get used to the 2021 version. 

Another curiousity in the 2021...the cubby under the 3-way fridge. How deep is that? Seem to recall there is a fair amount of wiring, plumbing, etc. under there. 

San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    The thing I don't understand is why they don't rotate the stove 90° like some other manufacturers do.  That would give you several more inches of usable counter space between the stove and the sink. 

I don't have the measures but that cubby is pretty deep.  Our 10lbs chihuahua sleeps in there.  If he's not with us we put our shoes in it. 
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    That’s a really good point about rotating it. I think some smaller airstreams do that. I just like the idea of a large countertop space since we decided against the 16’ Bambi because it has next to zero countertop.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    edited January 2021
    If they rotated the cooktop, would they still be able to use the hinged lid?  Can they make the lid hinge to the other edge of the cooktop so it would still open toward the window?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    I'm not an authority on this but I seem to remember previous discussions on this.  Someone with the small fridge can likely confirm.  The fridge and stove moved when the axle was moved forward in 2021 to address tongue weight.  The location is consistent regardless of which fridge you have.  One countertop for production purposes.
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    If they rotated the cooktop, would they still be able to use the hinged lid?  Can they make the lid hinge to the other edge of the cooktop so it would still open toward the window?
    I would leave it as is so it opens towards the bedroom.  It would act as a splash guard in that direction and leave the window unblocked.  
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    I'd say no, since it is a stock Dometic part, and Dometic doesn't make a stove top in that configuration.
    Plus as @bergger noted, it would actually act as a splash guard for the bed if turned sideways with the current glass top.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
  • Options
    Just for the sake of the discussion, I think having the lid open toward the bed would be a pain. It essentially would block off direct access to the countertop to the right of the stove. Everytime you wanted to pull something off or put something on from the right you'd have to work around the lid. Not the best workflow scenario IMHO. Just my $0.02. That, and $5.00, will get you a Starbucks!

@bergger
    Thanks for the info on the cubby. I may look into opening that up to see if there's an opportunity to add a few cubic feet of storage. Every little bit helps. 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Or you could just remove the glass top all together...as the glass is an option on the Dometic, and simply unbolts. The cooktop is identical, with or without the glass top, right down to the attachment points.
  • Options
    When the screws for the lid loosened and one popped off (found it rolling around under a burner fortunately) during my last trip, I thought about leaving the lid off, as you mention @ChrisFix. I set the lid aside for the day until the next AM after breakfast. 

Found I missed the extra counterspace with the lid closed and just from an aesthetics standpoint, liked having the glass top covering the stove. Certainly an option, tho. 

Do appreciate the fact that nuCamp doesn't seem to be afraid of reconfiguring it's rigs and I'd suspect some of those reconfigurations are a direct or indirect result of customer feedback. Another thing I like about the support from Sugarcreek.  
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    @AirBoss
    I had the same problem with one of the screws falling out - on two different trips! I got it good and tight now...
    It's literally the only thing that has come apart in 8K miles of travel - and required almost no effort to repair!
  • Options
    AirBoss said:
    Just for the sake of the discussion, I think having the lid open toward the bed would be a pain. It essentially would block off direct access to the countertop to the right of the stove. Everytime you wanted to pull something off or put something on from the right you'd have to work around the lid. Not the best workflow scenario IMHO. Just my $0.02. That, and $5.00, will get you a Starbucks!

@bergger
    Thanks for the info on the cubby. I may look into opening that up to see if there's an opportunity to add a few cubic feet of storage. Every little bit helps. 
    If the stove was left in its original position with very little countertop space to the right of it then having the lid hinge in that direction would be negligible and give the benefit of being a backsplash (or side splash?).

I’ll add that we don’t even have our 400 yet so I’m basing this all off of theory. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    ChrisFix said:
    @AirBoss
    I had the same problem with one of the screws falling out - on two different trips! I got it good and tight now...
    It's literally the only thing that has come apart in 8K miles of travel - and required almost no effort to repair!
    My experience as well @C@ChrisFix

My last adventure for 8500 miles/7+weeks I had 2 minor issues. The screws on the lid (took 2 minutes and a nut driver) and I had to reset the Alde once. And thanks to whomever posted on here about how to do that...much appreciated. Took longer to get through all the bedding and mattresses and lift the access panel on the bed than it did to reset the thing. 

Very impressed with this rig to date. One always hears horror stories about buying a new RV and what they have to deal with time and again under warranty. 

Knock on wood...

San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    AirBoss, the space behind the blank panel under the fridge on your unit is occupied, AC ducts, wires, plumbing runs, etc.  you can pull the drawer and look down inside to see what is in there.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options

Yep...here's what it looked like prior to the installation of the Air 8 Plus back in July. They've rerouted the A/C ducts a bit to straighten and shorten the runs. Can't do much with plumbing without serious effort. Doubt I'll have much room but I'll give it a look. 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com