Options

Tire Recommendations

Looking for any recommendations on when or which brand to replace tires on 2018 400 Boondock.  Current tires look OK but have about 10-12k miles .  Was thinking about Mastercraft Courser MXT.  Any thoughts? Thanks
2018 T@B 400/solar/2022 Honda Ridgeline

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,657
    Is that a passenger car tire or a trailer tire?
    Here is a thread with enough reading and info for the rest of the day.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Seems a little early for tire replacement. Are your tires wearing badly?
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    Just saw that Hankook now has ST tires.  https://www.hankooktire.com/us/special-trailer.html
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    B0atguyB0atguy Member Posts: 186
    Yep, its the size that is the problem . Almost no "main stream" tire manufacturers make a 235/75r15 "ST Trailer" size tire . Unless you go with an "LT" light truck tire, your options will be very limited. Weird how several RV manufacturers decided to go with a VERY unconventional "ST" tire size for mainstream RV's . Our brand new 2022 Winnebago 2108TB also has 235/75R15 tires x 4 , and I am dreading the day they need replacement . The ones on the WInnie are "off road" West Lake CR 857 .
    The best tire you will finds in an "ST" rating is a Goodyear Endurance sized 225/75R15 . They are fantastic tires . Just had 4 brand new installed on our 32' following a double blowout on Rt95 around Jacksonville about 2 weeks ago. They towed much better  , smoother, and tracked better than the stock "China Bombs" . Plus it felt way less stressful rolling on  proven Goodyear trailer tires than some unknown brand . The only downside is they are not "rugged" looking for the "Boondock" look . 

Sharon .........The Hankook's also do not come in the 235 size unfortunately .  
    2023 Ford F150 Sport 3.5 Ecoboost 
    2024 NuCamp T@B 400 BD,  Grey / White 
    2016 Ford Transit 350 XLT - Adventure / Travel Van / 320s interior !
    2019 NuCamp T@B 320s Grey / Black - SOLD 

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    Thanks @BOatguy.  I noticed they are also made in China.  I think when it comes time, we will get the GY Endurance.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    I’m pretty sure there is only one available aggressive “Boondock” ST tire out there.  It’s the Rainier ST.  I’ve had a lot of experience with trailer tires with my company trailers.  I’m really against the Chinese bombs.  But lack of American offerings makes it hard.  And I’ll not run passenger car tires on a trailer.  There really is a reason there is a special trailer (ST) tire.

https://www.tredittire.com/tire/rainier-st-apex/
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Yes, trailer or ST tires have a stiffer sidewall, and can be run almost flat, which would ruin a LT or car tire.  Having the extra thickness in the sidewall helps prevent sudden tire blow out issues, which could flip a trailer over is some situations.  
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    GatorEgg said:
    I’m pretty sure there is only one available aggressive “Boondock” ST tire out there.  It’s the Rainier ST.  
    Looks like there is another "Chinese" ST tire in 235/75r15 size available now . 
    We just ordered a new 2022 Winnebago Micro Mini , and they are lifted and have that "Boondock" look , like the T@B's . They are using a WestLake CR857 . They are about the same specs as the Rainier's and have that aggressive look as well . 

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Tires-and-Wheels/Westlake/WST54FR.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItuOqqsj47wIVqRitBh1_cQBSEAAYASAAEgKVqfD_BwE

• Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    Goodyear Endurance
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    @B0atguy Are those GY Endurance tires also the correct tire size for a 2017 Tab 320S?  My tires still look to be in really good shape, but since I am the second owner I do not really know how many miles were put on the original tires, they are at 4 years old now, and I plan to change them out before camping season this year.  Thanks!
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    lkc001 said:
    @B0atguy Are those GY Endurance tires also the correct tire size for a 2017 Tab 320S?  My tires still look to be in really good shape, but since I am the second owner I do not really know how many miles were put on the original tires, they are at 4 years old now, and I plan to change them out before camping season this year.  Thanks!
    Yes, if you have the 205/75r14 size , Goodyear does make the Endurance for that size .
    Its the Boondock size of 235/75r15 that is mostly the problem . The Goodyear Endurance on makes a 225/75r15 for a replacement size . 

Our tires also looked perfect , but were getting older  . We gambled and lost . Had 2 blowouts 15 minutes apart on RT 95 around Jacksonville FL , about 2 weeks ago . This was on our larger 32' RV . Was not a fun day ! Should have had those Chinese crappy tires replaced with the Goodyear Endurance's before our 2200 mile trip . Live and learn . 

I would highly recommend replacing those 4 year old tires for some quality GD Endurance tires . You wlll feel SO much more at ease while towing with new GD tires on the RV . You only have 2, so the cost wont be too bad . Also, because you have only 2 ........having a blow out would be VERY bad with a single axle trailer . Luckily we had a dual axle RV when ours blew .