Alternatives to A/C, Replace it?

MadCityJackMadCityJack Member Posts: 106
Last November we purchased a 2017 320 TAB U MAX (no toilet/shower) with the factory installed Air Conditioner (A/C) removed.  The previous owner removed it because of leaking and felt that the roof fan met their needs for cooling.  They put a lockable vent cover on the outside and a matching wood cabinet door on the inside to make an aesthetically pleasing space where they stored a Thetford porta potty and other incidentals.  

We plan to mostly use camping sites without shore power in the generally cooler but sometimes quite humid upper Midwest (WI, MI).  I don't feel a strong need for an A/C, but given my "options-are-nice" mentality it seems reasonable to give it consideration.  The price to get a replacement A/C from the NuCamp factory is approximately $1200, per Austin the service manager, but I learned it can be done less expensively.  I do hope to travel through the South West at some point, but probably in winter months to avoid high temperatures.

BTW: So, far we have only driveway camped since November and, of course, temps have been cool to cold.  We are former tent campers and never thought of any cooling, but the TAB is likely to be more much hotter, at least when setting up after towing.  

I know that such preferences are personal and may not apply to us, but I am curious about what others think about the real utility of an A/C in the upper MidWest and/or what alternatives to A/C have proved really workable?  Thank You in Advance for your input (I did post this question on a FB group page, but participation was limited).
2017 T@B 320 Q Max 
2018 Toyota Highlander, XLE  
Wisconsin

Comments