Options

2021 Tongue Box Dimensions (320)

ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
edited January 2021 in Trailer & Towing
Can anyone provide basic dimensions for the new 2021 320 tongue box? I seem to recall them posted here at one point, but can't locate them in a search.

Am I correct that the new box should be able to easily accommodate a 20lb propane tank and two batteries?

Anyone know if the rear profile of the new box is the the same as the old? Specifically, will it match the lines of an older 320?

Is the new 320 box different from the new 400 box?

I'm considering various options for upgrading my front storage--mostly for the purpose of accommodating two batteries. The new tub is pretty but also pretty pricy so I don't know if I'll go that route but would at least like to consider options in addition to a standard square aftermarket box. 

So many questions... Thanks for any info you can provide! 
2015 T@B S

Comments

• Options
    cyoungcyoung Member Posts: 54
    35 1/4" long x 18 1/2" tall x 17" wide, overall outside dimensions. Yes a 20lb gas bottle and 2 6volt batteries do fit. 
    2021 320 BOONDOCK, 2017 F150 2.7 ECOBOOST
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    cyoung said:
    35 1/4" long x 18 1/2" tall x 17" wide, overall outside dimensions. Yes a 20lb gas bottle and 2 6volt batteries do fit. 
    I would imagine easily; my old style boondock/outback tub fits the same, and the new one is measurably larger. 
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Thanks much, @cyoung and @4ncar. Sounds like this would work, at least in terms of having enough floor space for all the goods. 

I have another specific dimension question. How wide (front to back) is the little trough designed to hold a sewer hose? Whatever I end up doing I would want to retain my closed sewer hose tube holder in its existing position mounted behind the tub but along the front of the trailer.

I'm wondering if the trough is wide enough that I could just secure the tube in it and cut a couple holes so it would stick out on either side. This would mimic my current setup but remove the need to attach the tube to the frame or camper body (as it is now with my floorless/backless plastic tub. Assuming the trough is indeed wide enough, does anyone see a problem with this approach?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @ScottG, the trough is wide enough for 4 plastic Camco stabilizer jack plates to fit in the trough. I can’t can’t answer the other questions yet.

Do you have the commercially made sewer hose holder?  I have one I can use to see how it will or can fit.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    @ScottG, the trough at the top of its front lip is 4 3/4” wide.  I will share photos. If you need more, please tell me. The T@B is just outside the garage.

Four stabilizer Jack pads fit easily in the trough. 5 are too tight to fit well.

Just to give you an idea of one of the longer Valtera tubs and it’s length across the front. (I’s just laying on top of the tub. 

It is in the 30’s here, but this is how far the lid goes up with the gas strut inside stopping it at this point. 

I have the Boondock model and it is in the way to really show you the lower left side of the tub. 

This photo shows how much room is at the side for the Valtera tube. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Thanks, @Verna! I have the standard Valterra carrier. I don't recall the exact O.D. but I think it may be a little chubby for that trough. I suspect clearance to the camper wall might also be an issue.

I might take you up on the offer of additional photos once I ruminate on it a bit more.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    @ScottG, I think the trough is intended for the sewer hose only. I have a couple of 5’ sewer hoses that I can put in there and photograph. Tell me when you’re ready. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    @Verna (or others). A photo from the front looking into the tub at the back wall would be helpful. It seems like the trough extends into the curved area at the lower back, and that there is some sort of partial partition behind it, but I can't quite tell from any of the photos I've seen. Thanks!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Here’s 3 more photos, @ScottG

I finally had some help yesterday to move my batteries into a battery box, so it will look a bit different than the first photos. 

There is a full back to the new style tub, with two holes cut out—one hole for the battery switch and the other for the propane regulator.  This is looking behind the left corner of the battery box, in the middle of the tub. 

This is the far left of the tub looking down behind the propane tank. The water drop you see is on the floor of the trough. You can see the gravel driveway through the hole in the back of the tub, plus part of the propane regulator. 

Until yesterday, I thought the tub’s floor was solid, but there are holes here and there, at least one large enough to run a propane hose through it. So, if driving on gravel or dirt roads, don’t be surprised to have dust inside this tub. 

If you want to see the photos full size, Scott, I can email them to you. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Thanks, @Verna. It's starting to make a bit more sense. Is the back wall sloped or curved in some way to maximize the space, or is it perfectly plumb? In the photo below (from another discussion) it looked like the trough might extend into the lower curve of the trailer. Hmmm, but now that I look more closely at it I'm not so sure.

2015 T@B S

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited January 2021
    It extends back towards the curve bit, so the tub is wider at the bottom by a few inches over the top area.  The back wall is still flat, but slanted back under the curve, think trapezoid.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    @ScottG, my tub is 1 1/2 woman’s fingers from the front of the T@B’s Diamond plate front. The back of the tub slopes down at an angle, but it does not follow the curve of the front of the T@B. So, it slopes at an angle, trapezoid (per Denny 16) is a good description. 

My thought is that you may need to move your tub out a bit from the front of the T@B so that you will not lose the stability of the front lip of the trough. You will lose part of the stability of the bottom of the rear wall as that will have to be cut in order for your tube to fit. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Got it--thanks Denny16 and Verna!

In lieu of being able to actually see one at the moment, I think I have a better sense of how the new tub is configured. Verna, I think you addressed the key point of my question--I probably wouldn't be able to install my tube in its current location without some serious modification, as the back wall looks like it might be right where the tube needs to go. 

To be continued...
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    @ScottG, is there room for you to hang the tube under the tongue, towards the rear of the tub?  I don’t know where your cross-piece is for the front of the body. Just a thought. I’m not sure about ground clearance for your T@B. Last resort is the right side of the tongue as it stays out of the way. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Back to pondering options...

I don't think there is room underneath to hang the tube as the dump valves would be in the way even if there was sufficient clearance. Side of the frame is an option but I'm still not ready to concede to that yet.  :-)

Another thought is to install one of the old style Boondock aluminum tubs. It sounds like they might be just enough larger to squeeze that second battery in, while still providing the lower back clearance to keep the tube in its existing location..

Anybody know if those are still available as a replacement part from nuCamp?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    @ScottG, watch for one for sale. There was one in the Carolinas for sale, cheap, but shipping is expensive. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Basil48192Basil48192 Member Posts: 261
    edited January 2021
    @Verna, Can you tell me where you found the double wide battery box shown in the photo above?  I have found extra-long boxes, but nothing in the double-wide.  Also, did you end up having to move your propane tank to fit this battery box?  I've seen some posts describing the need to cut the brackets and move the tank closer to the passenger side of the tub.  Thank you in advance!
  • Options
    https://allbatterysalesandservice.com/catalog/product/view/id/16094/s/century-plastics-heavy-duty-battery-box-holds-2-6-volt-golf-cart-batteries-gc-g/category/760/

@Basil48192, this is a very sturdy battery box.

I have the 2021 T@B 320 Boondock, so I have the new elongated version of the front tub. One propane cylinder, the dual AGM battery box plus some misc “stuff” also fit in the tub. The dual battery box fits just fine without moving the propane tank support.  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Basil48192Basil48192 Member Posts: 261
    @Verna. Thank you!  This is perfect!  I have the same tub (2021, 320S...not BD) and this is exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks again!
  • Options
    You are very welcome!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options