Zamp or Victron??

As we get ready to take delivery of our BD T@B400 next month, communications with our dealer have increased.  I thought that NüCamp default was the Victron controller for the BD package.  After watching videos online, I decided to get the Victron app to familiarize myself.  We were just told that our trailer will come with "The standard Zamp panels and controller" but we can pay extra for the Victron controller?  Is it worth the money to "upgrade" to Victron? Looking to see what your thoughts are.  Th@nks in advance.
AJ & K
Virginia
2021 T@b 400 BD (N@lu 'Ima Ola)
2013 Toyota Tundra Ext. Cab V8 5.67L 4x4

Comments

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    The trailer has an "SAE port" (a standard, ordinary SAE connection used for many different things.)  NuCamp used a label several years ago that marked it as a "Zamp" port.  (Zamp was about the only game in town for small trailer solar setups just a few years ago). 
    This mis-labeling of a simple connector has confused the interwebs/dealers/owners, and it will never end.  The port is called a Zamp port, even though any panel can be connected with the port.
    Most likely the dealer has fallen into this "trap", also, confusing the SAE port with Zamp, and somehow only Zamp will work with it.
     If  you are getting factory installed solar, they will be wired directly to the controller from the roof.  Unless NuCamp has made a massive change, you will have a Victron controller in the trailer.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    NuCamp has never used Zamp panels or controller.  If your dealer told you this info, I would email customerservice@nucamprv.com and ask for confirmation.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • KamateKamate Member Posts: 26
    Thank you, checking with them. I thought the same. 
    AJ & K
    Virginia
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited January 2021
    I had Zamp solar panels and a Zamp controller in my 2019 T@B 400. The nüCamp factory had used them for a short period of time and I believe I received the last ones. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    Verna, I did not know they made flexible panels.  
    Sharon, it is amazing what they market!  Full solar panel arrays for home and business, etc. I haven’t looked at their website got a while. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    I wonder if this may be another supply issue?  You are the only 400 owner that we know of with Zamp panels.
    There are others, Sharon, but evidently there was an issue between Zamp and nüCamp and possibly the pricing.....
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    The trailer has an "SAE port" (a standard, ordinary SAE connection used for many different things.)  NuCamp used a label several years ago that marked it as a "Zamp" port.  (Zamp was about the only game in town for small trailer solar setups just a few years ago). 
    This mis-labeling of a simple connector has confused the interwebs/dealers/owners, and it will never end.  The port is called a Zamp port, even though any panel can be connected with the port.
    Most likely the dealer has fallen into this "trap", also, confusing the SAE port with Zamp, and somehow only Zamp will work with it.
     If  you are getting factory installed solar, they will be wired directly to the controller from the roof.  Unless NuCamp has made a massive change, you will have a Victron controller in the trailer.

Thank you very much for the response.  The dealership did call me back and cleared up the first conversation, matching exactly what you said...Kinda makes me feel like they monitor the forum :)

Appreciate the help!
    Stay safe!!
    AJ & K
    Virginia
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    I could have said, "nope, probably a Victron, check with your dealer"  and saved you the "Zamp/SAE rant".  I should never post before coffee.
    Find the Victron App for the phone of your choice and you can have it available to check the status of the new battery and solar on your new trailer.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
    I could have said, "nope, probably a Victron, check with your dealer"  and saved you the "Zamp/SAE rant".  I should never post before coffee.
    Find the Victron App for the phone of your choice and you can have it available to check the status of the new battery and solar on your new trailer.

Knowledge is power, so, much obliged!!
    AJ & K
    Virginia