Options

How Late is Too Late?

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
Now that my first year of RV camping is under my belt, I realize that I might not have done everything the right way (imagine that!)

When you are traveling, how late is too late to check in at a campground? There were a few places I checked in late a few times. Once was due to getting my T@b fixed before being able to move to next leg of trip. I tried to be very quiet and not open and close TB doors much, etc. The folks next to me said they never hear me pull in, and we were right next to each other. Granted, it was Moab in July, so everyone had their a/c blasting. When I knew I was running late, especially that late, I called ahead and the commercial parks seemed to have a late check in procedure. But, for one leg, arriving at a COE campground in Kansas around sunset, It seemed like the guy at the gate was waiting for me. Maybe he wasn't, but I felt bad thinking I could have kept him waiting a long time. There was no way to reach that person via phone, to my knowledge.

So, my question is whether there is an unspoken protocol for arrival time I somehow missed the memo on? Traveling in cooler weather will allow me to spend the night in a Wally World parking lot or other space more centered around overnight parking, but in the heat of the summer, with high humidity, a/c is pretty much a must. (Call me w imp if you want, I don't mind.)

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I always try to get set up at least a couple hours before sunset. Of course, I'm not heading to a reserved site so can pick whatever campground fits my timing.
    I've seen reserved people showing up at midnight and struggle to get situated. I would think a good rule is to go by what the quiet hours of the campgrounds are. I've found that's generally 10:00pm. So if you can get set up by then, it's probably ok.
  • Options
    Most non-reserved sites seem to have some direction for late registrations. I really like the NPS/NFS self-pay stations. They never leave any doubt.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Jenn - All the federal ones I've been at have self registration options or instructions. In fact, I've been at more without registration booths and are self register with pay kiosks than those with.
    The only trouble with coming in late without a reservation is the place may be full. I also try not to travel on Fridays unless very early as seems everyone is flocking to the campgrounds on weekends and can be hard to get a spot unless reserved.
  • Options
    It helps to know which campgrounds are popular and pick another campground. :)

I made reservations last year when I was driving west on July 4 weekend. It just seemed to make sense. I was glad I had.

• Options
    And how do you tell that?
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    And how do you tell that?
    I do research - read reviews, Bing, and sometimes I have NFS and BLM websites will mention the popular campgrounds in a region.

• Options
    "Research" - There ya go, I'll never know till I get there :-)
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    I research too, and usually reserve.  Since I tend to be a weekend camper, that whole work thing gets in the way, I choose a very specific location to be, and reserve it well in advance.

I have come into a campground very late, never been a problem.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    I have been to three state parks - one in LA and two in FL that I phone in advance to let them know I would be late for my reserved site. Two parks had locked gates and if I hadn't called I wouldn't have been able to get in without the code that they provided. At the third park in FL I wouldn't have been able to get in at all after sunset, so I had to forgo a planned sightseeing stop and make us some time.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    Yeah, especially if I am just passing through, I try not to do the full hook ups, anyways. I definitely call ahead, but I know you can't always talk to a live person.

I wish campgrounds would post their late arrival policy and procedures on line. You know, I know RV campgrounds try to lobby against overnight parking. Maybe the solution is for someone to start an overnight parking business and build along Interstates. Most of us would be willing to pay $5-10 for a safe overnight parking lot spot.

• Options
    Sandra, I think it was High Plains you stayed at, right? I had a reservation there but cancelled it when my timing changed. It looked like a great stop and the staff seemed really nice. I-70 from central to western Kansas seems like it can be pretty sparce.

• Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336

We’ve been camping for years up and down the east coast.  When is too late varies significantly in our experience.  We have determined research is essential.

Commercial campgrounds:

KOA: These normally have night check in systems.  With a reservation you find a receipt and map packet with your name on at a station near the gate.  There are typically several packets marked “Drop in” as well for those without reservations.  Office hours vary a lot.  We did a night check at our last KOA at 2:00pm on Friday afternoon.

Independents: These really vary, we would really recommend a phone call if formal instructions are not provided on a website or part of a reservation instruction.

State Parks, some of our experiences:

Florida: (As Mercator says) Gates generally close at sunset and you must call before this time to get the gate code.  The gate code does not come with a reservation confirmation.  Assigned sites.  If you have a reservation and another camper lets you in go to your site and check in the morning.

North Carolina:  Gates close at a set time.  They are closed and locked.  They made it sound like only a 911 will get you out.  Late getting back from dinner out, you’re in trouble.  As we recall these were assigned sites.

Georgia (limited experience):  Reservations get you an unassigned site.  Wander in anytime, pick a site without a tag.  Find the camp host.  Pay up in the AM without reservations.  They charge day use fees on top of camping fees as well.  We had a paid reservation and still had to go pay the day use fee in the AM.

We are trying to remember West Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York, South Carolina, and others.

County Parks:

You really need to communicate with these folks.  They run the gamut.

Boondocking? Still looking for an experience.

Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    ^ Thanks!!! That is great insight, not only for late arrivals, but early departures, as well. Sometimes I am up and out long before sunrise, even if I am staying multiple days. I would be really upset to find myself locked in!

• Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    Must say something about our camping style.  The idea of waiting at the gate to get out never entered my mind.
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    Must say something about our camping style.  The idea of waiting at the gate to get out never entered my mind.
    I am often up early to photograph the sunrise.

• Options
    Never been in a closed gate campground - what if there's an emergency and you need an ambulance or need to drive yourself to a doc/hospital? Sure doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    Sandra said:
    ........ only stop for ...., bathroom breaks and coffee 
    Less of the latter would reduce the former........just say'n

I'm feeling sooooo helpful today =)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Kartchner Caverns State Park in Arizona has a closed gate at night. They had too much traffic from across the border and also 4-wheelers messing up the park 's trails. They have the procedures listed on the gate and each of the two campground loops have two hosts/hostesses.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Moab Valley RV has a gate, but if I remember right they either gave you a code or an access card - I forget which.

• Options
    About the only time I'm doing anything like 8hrs is when I'm doing a major transition. Otherwise I limit it to 3-4hrs. Yesterday my move was 10 miles. Today, even shorter, 5 miles. Got a major one coming up though as I'm running out of food and water - guessing that will be 60 miles :-)
  • Options
    Sandra, I am probably more like you. I put in a couple of long days, probably around 10 hrs, sometimes a little longer, between the City of Champions and Denver, but from there until I start back east, they are smaller chunks.  I listen to the new on Sirrius and it helps keep me alert.

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I've pulled into campgrounds pretty late, and have had no problems. For overnight stops at KOAs, usually, just get into a pullthrough, plug into the electric, and go to bed.

There was a COE campground in Georgia that had a gate that locked at 10pm and not open until 7am the next morning. I had to cancel that one, as on that particular trip, had to be moving at 6am.

I also ran into a campground that the office didn't open until 10am. I had pulled in about 11 the night before, and was back up at 7 to get on the road. When I saw the office didn't open till 10, I decided to not wait on my receipt. Left them a note to charge the credit card on file and hit the road. Fortunately everything was fine.

Which brings up another point, for those campgrounds that are "open", I wonder how many campers pull in really late and depart really early without ever registering or paying?

For a lot of my long weekend trips, I usually leave the night before and get partway and overnight to break up my drive, but for the drive home, I push straight through and often have 8, 10, 12 hour drives to get home.

Us working folks have to maximize our time off. Fortunately having the T@B garage helps me extend that time. Push her in, plug her in, and go to bed. The rest can be done later.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890

Which brings up another point, for those campgrounds that are "open", I wonder how many campers pull in really late and depart really early without ever registering or paying?

Guilty.  At a state park in KY, the gate house was closed with no posted contact information and no self-pay service.  I made one attempt to contact when I got home, which failed, then just gratefully accepted a free night of camping.  Free was just about what it was worth anyway, and I did not use any of the facilities.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    There's a County campground NE of Bakersfield, CA - nice little campground on a river, all drive-thru. The staff doesn't work on Monday/Tuesday because they work weekends and there's no pay box. Looked all over the place, asked other campers, nothing. So moved on. Figured they just don't care or they'd have some method of payment or at least some info posted.
  • Options
    Sorry, your travel problem should not become everyone else's problem... I personally think all campgrounds should have a curfew on late arrivals - Big sign - Go away, Get lost (if you arrive after X)... Or maybe a $500 fine that's split up amongst the campers who were there on time and are now being disturbed.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Sorry, your travel problem should not become everyone else's problem... I personally think all campgrounds should have a curfew on late arrivals - Big sign - Go away, Get lost (if you arrive after X)... Or maybe a $500 fine that's split up amongst the campers who were there on time and are now being disturbed.
    So maybe Walmart isn't such a bad idea for those driving long days? =)

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Jenn - Nope, not a bad idea - Ain't gonna disturb many at Walmart if you pull in real late ;-)
  • Options
    KyBawpawKyBawpaw Member Posts: 183
    jkjenn- "a/c is pretty much a must. (Call me wimp if you want, I don't mind.)"
    I'm not sure the opposite of "wimp" is but call me a cool wimp too rather than a hot sweaty one of those. lol
    "Not all those who wander are lost"- J. R. R. Tolkien 
    2014 T@B-S
  • Options
    KyBawpawKyBawpaw Member Posts: 183
    RZRBUG - Which Ky campground was that? I live in Ky. I'll go find out how much you owe them, you send it to me and I'll see they get it. Just trying to help, ;-D
    "Not all those who wander are lost"- J. R. R. Tolkien 
    2014 T@B-S