Options

Is a TAB 400 big enough

So my wife and I are really struggling to decide on a TAB 400 or having a custom Escape 19 built.  We toured a Tab at a local dealer and loved it.  My only gripe is size of fridge if you go 12v.  This will be our first RV.  We were tent campers years ago and I do a bit of backpacking so definitely not big trailer type folks.  Do you find the Tab 400 adequate for a couple to spend time in?  Do you ever wish for something bigger (maybe a TAB 500)?

I am hoping someone can sell me on the concept that advantages of small footprint outweigh size limitations.  Certainly easier to tow and maintain and not to mention more flexibility where you can take it.  I don't foresee us doing much RV park camping.  What are the pros and cons of this model?   Thanks! 

Comments

• Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    edited January 2021
    We haven't taken delivery of ours yet but I could speak to the refrigerator issue. 

You can always supplement the fridge with a 12v compressor-type cooler (there are several on Amazon) and keep some of your goods in there plugged into 12v or running off a Jackery type power bank and solar. Adds a bit more "stuff" to bring along but is still doable. 

We ultimately were flip-flopping between an Airstream Bambi and the 400. The Bambi has more floor space but we figured we'd be outside more than inside and the smaller bed and dark interior of the Bambi...oh, and that tiny wet bath...weren't for us. 

As for overall size, this is a subjective because some people find the 400 plenty big enough and others just need more space. I've always liked small spaces and finding ways to take advantage of every square inch of space....this goes for a house too. It's just cheaper in the long run and less of a headache maintenance wise. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited January 2021
    Whilst the floor area is small, it is large enough to get from the bed to dinette and in between. The aside is wide enough to comfortably use the galley without feel squished and it has more counter space than most similar size, or even larger units I looked at.  

As for the 12-volt fridge, it is almost 2CF and larger than it looks, and really keeps the contents cold, even in hot weather.  The TaB 400 Solo model, offers more floor area, and a larger 12VDC fridge, bit at the cost of loosing the large hanging locker.  This would have been our first choice, but we got a good deal on a standard 400 with the smaller 12VDC fridge, which factory solar.

Speaking of solar, for camping out in rural areas without hookups, you need the solar package, which comes with the Boondock option (either Std or Solo can be a Boondock).  This gives you the solar to keep,the battery charged, from running the fridge, and extends your camping length.  The Solo has a fore and aft bunk thst pulls out to bake a RV Queen, or use it as a single and use the dinette for the second bunk.  This is what my wife and I do, WHD has the bunk, and I use the dinette, which converts into a comfortable bunk.  This way we do not need to crawl over each other to use the head a night, something necessary as we age (we are in our 60/70s).  

So you need to take into account how you plan to camp, is sleeping together important, or sleep individually.  How much room do you need to feel comfortable.   Try spending some time in a TaB 400 on a dealer’s lot, look at the various option models (Std vs Solo) and check out how easy it is for you to access the smaller fridge under the galley counter.  Lay in the bunk, sit at the dinette.  Try out the head for size, pretend shower, etc.  Then you can decide on whether the TaB400 is for you before you buy one.

We find the TaB 400 big enough, after all when you are camping you are hanging out mostly outside, to enjoy the out of doors area you are visiting.  It is big enough to sleep, shower, cook a d eat in.  But then again, I lived in a 30-foot sailboat with a smaller cabin than the TaB400 has.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    kmulhkmulh Member Posts: 36
    We are upgrading from a 320 so the 400 will seem spacious for the 2 of us. We generally spend most of our time outdoors so the 400 is plenty big for 2. The fridge is a decent size but I always take an RTIC cooler also and it keeps the beverages cold for up to a week. 
    2021 T@B 400 BD
    2020 F150 3.5 ecoboost
    Columbus, OH
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Short answer...depends. 

So many variables on this one. Style of camping, are you indoor or outdoor people (trust you're outdoor given you were tenters), what's important to you in an RV, how important are materials and workmanship in your RV, etc.

Speaking for myself, yes. I find the 400 to be more than adequate on many levels. Would a bit more floor space be good...sure. But at what cost, both financially and from a quality standpoint? 

I find the 400 to fit the bill perfectly. Big enough to accommodate two adults for extended periods of time (assuming you like each other!), contains most all the bells and whistles you need to be comfortable, tows and backs with ease, and comes with industry leading customer support. 

Just one man's opinion...hope it helps. 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    The limited time you spent in one at the dealers lot should have helped somewhat. You came to grips with the headroom, much improved over the 320's. The 400 exists because many 320 owners decided that a bit more room would be nice. The popularity of the 400 more or less confirms that even campers who came from the tenting world and campers who are willing to deal with a small cabin may prefer a bit more room. With a small rig there are many tradeoffs but there are just as many advantages. It's nice to have an easy tow and a unit that is easy to park, one that does not require an enormous campsite. It's nice to have a cozy dry place to hang out that has all of the basic amenities you might want, the ones you don't get with a tent. Heat, AC, running water, lights, beds, a refrigerator. If you are moving up from a tent it's nearly decadent. If you want more space, add on outside, add an awning or a screened in area....The room in a 400 can be more than enough...as long as you are comfortable with the seating, sleeping and cooking area. It won't always be nice out. You won't always be spending more time outside than inside. There will be days when you end up spending more time inside than out. If your dream vacation on the beach turns into 4 straight days in the rain, will you end up checking in to a hotel? Ask yourself if you will feel like there is enough room for whole days inside and make a decision based upon that. 
  • Options
    johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    We will soon be replacing the dysfunctional Norcold 3-way with Isotherm Freeline 115 Elegance 2-way. It's a near perfect fit for the cabinetry "hole" left after removal of the Norcold. Will likely seal off the bottom vent. Isotherm has considerably more freezer and frig space. 12V power draw on the 115 is lower than their 85 cu. in. Cruise Elegance model.
    Only mention this since it may be possible to have nuCamp build trailer as being equipped with 3-way and not installing. More later when we have this work done. Likely post-vaccination. 

2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    One other consideration for you and your wife to think about is the configuration of the bed.  It would pay for both of you to climb back into the sleeping area and check it out.  The ceiling curvature does create challenges for sleeping, making the bed and should one partner need to use the bathroom late at night, etc.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    DW and I spent 7 months in our TAB 400 last year. We were camp hosts at one location for 6 weeks so we had plenty of time to make it our home during rainy days. We have the small fridge and only needed groceries on a weekly basis.
    We have looked at larger units but the faux wood and stapled cabinets were a quick turn off.
    We were surprised with the amount of storage in the bathroom which a lot of larger units don't have. We have come to terms with the bed as Mike mentioned and again, many campers have climb over beds.
    We are able to the 400 park next to our house which requires some tricky maneuvering for sure. I don't think we could do it with a bigger unit.
    The Alde heat is great. We hear the loud water heaters and furnaces from other units from a pretty good distance.
    The rear window and the view from the dinette are our happy places. There are actually two living spaces in the 400. I can sit in front doing planning and computer stuff and Amy can hang out in the back reading, etc.
    All this to say that we are satisfied and will be sticking with the TAB.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited January 2021
    Yes, there are two living spaces.  The filler cushion from the front dinette (to convert to a bed) can be used as a back rest on the rear bunk, it fits just under the board the lights are mounted to, and allows a comfy sit-up position to watch TV, read or just hang out.

The front dinette can also make into a pseudo couch, offering another lounge area.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    ColoradoSunColoradoSun Member Posts: 134
    Personally, I can't imagine ever towing and parking anything larger than a T@B 400 but many people do.
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2020 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab
    SW Colorado
  • Options
    morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155
    The bigger your RV.  The more time you'll spend inside of it.  
    As the owner of a 320 boondock, who used it to replace their tent- I'm so glad it's not any bigger.  
    Actually, the only thing I wish were a little larger is the fridge, which it is on the newer models.  
    Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite
  • Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    edited January 2021
    This is a very subjective question, it really depends how you intend to use it. I agree with @morey000, our 320 forces us to spend time outside, My suggestion is to spend some time in a 400.
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut