Options

Camper Top For Pickup Tow Vehicle for 320S

Hey All,
Finally pulled the trigger on the purchase of a better TV. Santa Fe is gone. It always felt like the tail was wagging the dog. Settled on a 2003 Toyota Tundra 4.7l V8. I know many will say its overkill in towing capacity. I just want to have confidence in the ability of the truck to handle any situation that may present itself. I am also considering a camper top for additional lockable protected bed storage. I have read that some folks have improved gas mileage towing with a camper top. Please feel free to weigh in on the topic. Good or bad reports are welcome. Thanks, stay safe.

Comments

• Options
    cmaccmac Member Posts: 90
    I have had an ARE brand fiberglass cover for my 2000 Silverado 2500 and now my Colorado, used both to pull our Clam Shell.  The one on the Silverado lasted 18 years with no issues and was always water tight.  So far the one on the Colorado is 2 years old, also dry inside.  The ARE is lockable and people can not see/snoop inside of it when it is down.  Note:  the storage height is pretty much level with the top of the truck's bed side rails.  The only thing I have to watch out for is when in the garage and I raise the lid, it will bump the garage door (if the garage is in the open position).
    The downside is I can not haul anything tall in the bed if needed - it would have to be able to be laid down.
    Would I buy another one?  You Bet!  Also, ARE will match the color to your pick-up very well.
    John
    John & Cheryl
    2007 T@B ClamShell by Dutchman "Goli@th"
    2018 Chevy Colorado V-6
    Edmond, OK
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,010
    I have an ARE on my current 2018 Nissan Titan and love it.  I've also had Leer and Snugtop toppers on my past Toyota trucks.  I love having a topper on my truck.  Any of those brands are equally good in my opinion and I've always shopped them based on the best price I could get.  That's why I've had all three brands over the past 25 years.  I can't comment on the mpg as I never measured it with and without.  But I would wager to say that if there is a benefit is it is minor.  The security is the best advantage of them.  I also use it to camp out of when I do not take the T@b.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 542
    I added an ARE Z series cap on my 2013 Tundra and I really like it. The cap replaced a hard three piece tonneau cover. I was fortunate to find a used cap which was a perfect fit and was a considerable savings from new. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    Tundra is not overkill, always better to have power/tow capacity available.

I just purchased a very used $50 fiberglass lift type hard cover for my RAM.  Will be using it for camping in about a week.

As cmac says you will be limited to only carrying shorter items.

I really wanted one of the hard roller type or 3 or 4 piece flip covers so I could haul tall items if necessary, but I didn't want to spend $800 + on one.

Will it help with mileage while towing?  Hard to say, but on highway driving without towing it should help.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    ARE fiberglass topper for for my current Ford F-150 (all topper windows can open making it easier to load and unload).

And an ARE fiberglass topper for my previous Toyota Tacoma. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    TerryHutchinsonTerryHutchinson Member Posts: 45
    I put a Gator hard shell tri-fold tonneau cover on my F150.  Substantially less expensive than the competitors.  It fits very well, keeps the interior dry and secure, locks in place via the truck tailgate lock.  They are sold direct to consumer rather than through dealers hence the lower price (at least this is my understanding).  The cover is much lighter weight (and much cheaper) than the fiberglass shell I was considering.  The light weight matters to me since we travel with a lot of stuff and I don't even want to think about payload capacity.  My Ford has a 2000 pound payload, your Tundra is a few hundred pounds less.  

As to mpg,  well the tonneau certainly didn't hurt it any.  But I can't say any improvement was noticeable.  We get about 15 mpg highway when towing the 320, that's at 60 - 65 miles per hour,
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,448
    I suspect the answer to your question is going to depend on a number of factors. Probably a balance between weight and drag and those factors will be unique to your specific set-up and circumstances.

I camp with a beat-up aluminum cap on my truck that not only keeps my gear out of the elements, but also serves as a kayak rack. I'm pretty certain that any efficiency I might gain from having the cap is negated many times over by having those boats up there.

Ultimately, I don't give it much thought. I'm already driving an expensive not-so-fuel-efficient vehicle stacked with expensive toys and gear, and towing an expensive trailer. Economically I'm so far in the weeds I don't worry too much about saving a gallon or so of gas every time I head out. YMMV!  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 542
    Just as a heads up of a scary incident that happened to my Tundra with a bi-fold hard tonneau cover with the hope no one has a similar experience.  While traveling 70+ mph in the passing lane on the Mass Pike, one of the front corner attachments broke loose and immediately the tonneau cover took flight. Luckily the brand new Maserati following me had sufficient space and reaction time to avoid the unthinkable.  The loss of a $650 tonneau cover would have been insignificant compared to personal injury or other property damage had it struck another vehicle or caused a multi-car accident. 
    The tonneau cover was attached using plastic hooks into the bed rails which failed. I still shutter when I think of what could have happened including if I were towing my 400 at the time. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Had the ARE MX series on our Frontier and loved it.  Had the Windoors, roof rack etc.  Switched to a 2017 Titan and waiting for the new ARE MX series to get here.  Like the MX series as it bumps up to give added height inside.  Will need a pull strap to reach the rear door now with the Titan.  Also the added height of the MX, blends the air flow with the 400 much better for us.  Helps protect the front window in the 400.  Can't go wrong with ARE brand and they like the T@B's are made in Ohio. 
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    USSBirdUSSBird Member Posts: 66
    Keeping in mind that this if from the "ARE" website regarding fuel savings.  There is a calc on the website to figure your ROI: https://www.4are.com/product/z/#
    "According to these studies, it does...

From the SEMA Research and Information Center -
    According a study conducted by Western New England College's Department of Mechanical Engineers, "The best way to reduce drag, and improve gas mileage for pickup trucks, is to add a tonneau cover." Their study yielded gas mileage savings of 8% by adding a tonneau cover to a Dodge Ram.

From Auto Trim & Restyling News - August 2001
    From "Tailgate Talk - Does Removing A Tailgate Affect Fuel Economy?"
    By Bruce W. Smith

According to many experts, the best way to improve a pickup's fuel economy is to leave the tailgate up and cover the bed with a quality aftermarket Tonneau cover. "Tonneau covers on pickup boxes reduce aerodynamic drag," said Ford's Jack Williams. "We've seen reductions of about 8 to 10 percent on the F150. The average steady-state [cruise control] fuel economy improvement at highway speeds is closer to 5 percent." "

2021 T@B 400 BD / 2020 Ram 1500, Northwest Arkansas
  • Options
    My fold-up ebike is taller than the side of my F-150. A tonneau cover would not work for me. I accept the small loss of gas mileage. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,448
    edited January 2021
    By "camper top" I got the impression (perhaps mistaken) that the OP was talking about a cap or shell that covers the bed but extends up to the roof of the cab (such as that shown by atlasb above). 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    yes, @ScottG, that is what I am talking about. Mine is level with the truck roof, and it has a rack on top, also. 

I am unable to add any photos.......

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    edited January 2021
    After install of my ARE Mx model topper on my 2019 Toyota Tacoma I picked up about 2.5 mpg while towing.  I also have a set of Yakima bars on the topper for toys.  I attribute this to the increased aerodynamics of the rig.  This average panned out over about 8000-10000 of towing.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.