Options

Advice Please! Ref DM Propane Tub

Good morning! I have recently replaced my beat and battered original propane tub with a new one. It is still the same style as the original. I have attached it to the Alko trailer frame but am yet to attach it to the aluminum interior shell frame. My question is....do I have to? It seems like the separate movement of the two parts while traveling would be more beneficial to each pieces benefit. I am not an engineer 😝 so tell me why or why not these two pieces should be attached together? 🤔 Obviously when I removed the original it was attached by six rivets across the top bar. I had to remove the frame and reweld its footing as it had cracked. The points of attachment (on the fiberglass tub) at the trailer had all cracked as well. So.....what ye say?

HB 2009 DM T@D@ being towed by 2021 Subaru Ascent Asheville, NC/Clayton, GA

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I would probably attach it to the original interior frame and secure it back in place.  It would eliminate some of the vibration and movement during travel.  You face the same result of cracking no doubt over time with the elements of sunlight, heat, cold, etc. but having it attached to the interior frame would seemingly give it more rigidity as opposed to just letting it sit there, bounce, flex, etc.  The frame does have some dynamics occurring when the trailer is going down the road, flexing with bumps, potholes, uneven roadway, etc.  You can always replace it with an aluminum tub the time around.  😀
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I agree with @Michigan_Mike.

Without the attachment to the shell frame, you'd be depending on only the bottom flange attachment points to take any flexing and wind force.

It's a pretty flimsy flange for that.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    It looks like the original configuration served you well for many years. I'd install the new one in the same manner as the old.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Be careful drilling that plastic! Probably want it a high-rpm drill, fed very slowly, so it doesn't catch and crack out. Maybe clamp the frame firmly to the tub before drilling.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    FWIW, I drilled some small holes in my tub when I relocated the original sewer tube holder that came with the T@B, and I didn't encounter any cracking issues. YMMV, though, so the suggested cautionary steps are well advised!
    2015 T@B S