Options

A Different Kind of Bike Rack

Last year I took a trip out to Big Bend. The plan was to ride my bike around the park and sightsee. So I modified a standard bike rack to mount on the hitch receiver and off I went.  Little did I know that very little of Big Bend is flat. After just a couple of miles I was exhausted.  So, after a lot of research, I purchased an Electric Bike. Unfortunately it weighs almost 50 pounds and the regular bike rack would not support it. On Amazon I found a roof top rack that I could mount across the A Frame between the jack and the propane storage box. It has worked out perfectly. Now I can just roll the bike onto the rack and strap it down as opposed to trying to lift it. Plus I can carry my wife's bike too. The down side is that I had to remove the spare tire carrier that was in that location. I do not believe that a normal human can put the spare tire back under the rear of the T@B. After many attempts and a lot of cussing, I've decided the spare can ride in the back of the SUV.

Amazon - CyclingDeal Alloy Car Roof Bike Bicycle Carrier Rack for 2 Bikes Max Load 66 lbs - SUV Rooftop Mounted 

Gerri (Gary) Ewing
Montgomery TX (Birthplace of the Texas Flag)
2018 320 S - "No Agenda Hacienda"
Tow Vehicle 2023 Honda Pilot AWD

Comments

• Options
    TabulatingTabulating Member Posts: 84
    That looks great. Is that on a 400 or a 320?
    2018 T@b 400  towed by a 2012 JKU
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Looks great, any issues with the extra width of the bikes when turning
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    BogieMeisterBogieMeister Member Posts: 114
    My T@B is a 320. I would have to jack knife the trailer for the bike to hit the TV.
    Gerri (Gary) Ewing

• Options
    tinglebellstinglebells Member Posts: 14
    edited March 2021
    EXCELLENT!!!   Much better than what I did.   What did you do with the spare tire? Can you please tell me how it is attached?  Below is my attempt at bike racking:

tinglebells - Photo too large and deleted.  Moderator
  • Options
    SubaruLouSubaruLou Member Posts: 119
    @BogieMeister, I love that you named your rig the “No Agenda Hacienda”. Very clever! 👍🏼
    2019 T@B 320 S  |  2019 Subaru Ascent
  • Options
    Basil48192Basil48192 Member Posts: 266
    @BogieMeister, Did you have to modify the bracket to attach the rack to the tongue steel?

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited March 2021
    Gerri, that's great.

When you get a chance, can you shoot details of how you attached to the a-frame?

Also, a shot of it with bikes on it? 

Any idea of tongue weight while loaded?

Thanks.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    BogieMeisterBogieMeister Member Posts: 114
    Actually the attachment is fairly simple. The bottom of the tray the tire sits in has a channel that will accept a 6" long 1/4 bolt. I drilled holes in a piece of flat aluminum bar and put that on the underside of the a Frame.
    Gerri (Gary) Ewing

• Options
    cmcelhosecmcelhose Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2021
    I've got the Jack It. The side bonus is you can take the bike wing off and use the Bump It accessory to transfer them to your Tow Vehicle hitch when your Tab is dropped at camp.

@cmcelhose - Photo too large and deleted.  Moderator
  • Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 419
    edited March 2021
    We just installed a Jack It over the weekend too.   Didn't go for the Bump It but am interested.  Let us know how well that works.  I noticed the main part of the rack is sturdy but where the upper portions of the Y are attached there is some movement.  I'm thinking of adding a wrap or two of electrical tape around the lower section to shore it up. 
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    cmcelhosecmcelhose Member Posts: 13
    Slackers said:
    We just installed a Jack It over the weekend too.   Didn't go for the Bump It but am interested.  Let us know how well that works.  I noticed the main part of the rack is sturdy but where the upper portions of the Y are attached there is some movement.  I'm thinking of adding a wrap or two of electrical tape around the lower section to shore it up. 

I periodically check the bolts and pins as we travel. It works fine but bolts do occasionally loose up a little on long cross country rides. Was thinking about using some locktite this season.
  • Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 419
    edited March 2021
    The two upper pieces of the Y holding the tire mounts held in place with pins have some play in them.  A wrap or two of electrical tape on the sections that these fit over should remove that.  I'll follow your advice on periodic inspection and tighten the main bolts.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    BogieMeister are you still carrying your bikes on your tongue mounted Cycling deal bike rack? I was just hoping for an update, and see if you still liked it, or that issues had cropped up. I am considering trying this on my 400.
    Karen and Chris
    2021 T@B 400, 2018 Land Cruiser
    Dallas, Texas
    “May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.” Edward Abbey