Options

Lithium battery install for new Tab 320 CS Boondock

13»

Comments

• Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    edited October 2021
    I have a 2021 320 BD with the older WFCO model. I've already made the switch to lithium batteries and so have to set up my solar suitcase to get to 100%, something Battleborn tells me should be done occasionally to ensure that the BMS can properly manage things.
    Does it make sense to swap the old WFCO for the new WF-8955LiS? I found it online for about $200, which is not much more than the cost of a supplementary Li charger. My hesitation is that it may not be same physical size, which would make the swap much more of a chore.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    ckjsckjs Member Posts: 64
    @CharlieRN  Rooftab (T@btop?) solar keeps our 200 Ah of lithium fully charged. In fact I disconnect the solar during those all-too-frequent times of “not camping” to keep them about half full. Turning the solar back on a few days before a trip is enough to top off the batteries.
    A battery monitor seems a better use of that ~$200.
    Charles & Judy, Santa Cruz, CA
    2018 T@B 320 CS-S; Alde 3020; 4 cyl 2020 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
  • Options
    Thanks @ckjs but I've already bitten the bullet on a battery monitor. In fact, it tells me that the factor solar, even with the controller set to Li, doesn't quite get my Battleborn to 100%. This may be because the panel on the T@B is usually not in full sun when we're camping and faces almost due north when stored in our driveway. I can get there with my solar suitcase, which obviously can be oriented for maximum solar gain, but this is less than ideal.
    While I like the convenience of getting to 100% when connected to shore power, something that the WFCO series 8735 in our T@B can't do, I'm not sure I want to shell out $200 to replace a perfectly good converter. I can get a 5 amp Victron plug-in Li charger for something like $75, which may be all I need to occasionally top the BB up to 100%.
  • Options
    WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 188
    I’m in roughly the same situation as you (2021 320S BD) but I haven’t gone to lithium yet. I probably will this winter. But I will be facing the same decisions.

I’m currently leaning towards the separate charger, mostly for flexibility. I have a deep cycle battery for a trolling motor in a boat so I need a separate charger anyway. If I go with the Victron lithium-capable charger I have the added convenience of the Bluetooth connection that is the same as the solar controller  currently in the T@G.  And it’s far easier - click “buy” and I’m done!

But another decision for me - 5 or 15 amp charger?  I’ll probably go 15 amp because of the trolling motor battery. 

And I agree - I would have a hard time replacing an almost new converter that’s in place and working. 

2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    I probably won't switch to a new WFCO converter when I go to Lithium mainly because I only use this when connected to campground power which is rare and if I have sun, the solar controllers will top it off. In my covered storage, I use an old 20 volt, 75 watt laptop power brick with a remote solar panel output connector plugged onto the trailer's remote solar input this will keep the Li fully charged (if I want).
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    WayneW said:
    I’m in roughly the same situation as you (2021 320S BD) but I haven’t gone to lithium yet. I probably will this winter. But I will be facing the same decisions.

. . .  But another decision for me - 5 or 15 amp charger?  I’ll probably go 15 amp because of the trolling motor battery. 

From what I gather, the difference in amperage only really effects the charging time. So if you're using the charger simply to top up a battery, it may make sense to go with the 5 amp. If your are bringing a battery up from deep discharge, and don't want to wait 24 or more hours to do that, the 15 amp may be the better choice.
    The difference in price is substantial and I'm going to do a bit more research to see if the 5 amp will work for me. I'm actually in the process of adding a second BB 100 aH battery and am not sure how that may effect things.

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502
    WayneW said:

But another decision for me - 5 or 15 amp charger?  I’ll probably go 15 amp because of the trolling motor battery. 
    I'm using a cheap 4amp Duracell charger that has a lithium mode. If I've put the battery on the charger, it means that I've parked the trailer after a trip, so it doesn't really matter how long it takes to recharge it. But if you're using the charger for other things (like your trolling motor) maybe you want something that will charge things up faster. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 188
    On further reflection .....  I have a Shumaker charger that works for my trolling motor battery and the stock battery in the trailer now (80 ah lead-acid).  But it doesn't work with lithium batteries.  I also have a 1.25 amp Battery Tender Plus that is good for long-term storage, but again, it won't work with lithium.  

Maybe I'm better off staying with the Shumaker for the trolling motor battery and getting the 5 amp Victron charger or some other make when I upgrade to lithium in the trailer.  Like @Marceline, if I put the charger on the battery it's because I'm home.  I have the factory solar on the trailer and a 100W Renogy suitcase with a lithium-capable controller so I can chase the sun while camping.

Thanks! You all just saved me at least $75!!  Another tank of gas!
    2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502
    WayneW said:

Maybe I'm better off staying with the Shumaker for the trolling motor battery and getting the 5 amp Victron charger or some other make when I upgrade to lithium in the trailer.  Like @Marceline, if I put the charger on the battery it's because I'm home.  I have the factory solar on the trailer and a 100W Renogy suitcase with a lithium-capable controller so I can chase the sun while camping.

Thanks! You all just saved me at least $75!!  Another tank of gas!
    There's only one time that I wish that I had a better charger. I couple of months ago I ran my battery down after 4 days in a deeply wooded area. If I had a higher rated charger I would've been tempted to pull the battery out of the trailer and recharge it for a couple of hours using power at an adjacent unoccupied campsite that had power. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    markblessmarkbless Member Posts: 17
    edited January 2022
    The stock power converter + panel for my 2022 Tab 320 S BD: WF-8735LiS. A close-up of the LA to Li switch is also attached.

2022 Tab 320 S Boondock towed by 2021 Volvo XC60 from Tucson, AZ