Options

Victron battery monitor install on 2021 Tab 400.

I haven't found good instructions on how to do this. If there is a good thread you know of please point me to it.

I am going to install the Victron battery shunt to monitor my batteries over bluetooth through the app. I can fix most mechanical things but have never taken the time to learn the fundamentals of electrical systems. I want to be sure I install this properly and am looking for any guidance from those who have successfully done so.

Here is our battery setup currently. TIA for any assistance.

Troy / 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon / 2021 Tab 400 BD / Sarasota, FL

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    Follow the black negative cable coming from the battery (circled in red point no 1 in photo below), to goes to a small junction/buss box (point no 2 below).  Put the shunt between the battery cable and the junction/buss box (in the divider between the battery and outside storage locker (remove bunk plywood cover to see and gain easy access).  Connect the positive shunt small cable to the positive connection (red cable) on the buss box.   

Another option is to connect the shunt between the black negative battery wire (red circle no 1 connection) and the shunt, and connect the small positive shunt wire to the positive battery post (fat left point in photo).  You have the option of measuring mid point where the two batteries are connected together (center battery posts in photo).

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    The photo in this thread shows it well I think - basically Denny's Option 1 but you don't have to access the bus box.  You can just disconnect the cable at his #1 circle, connect that cable to the positive end of the shunt, then connect a new cable (you have to buy one - the BMV doesn't come with it) from the negative side of the shunt back to the #1 circle (negative) terminal.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/11992/2021-tab-400-battery-and-inverter-box-pics#latest
  • Options
    TRobTRob Member Posts: 54
    Thanks guys. That's exactly what I needed.
  • Options
    ColoradoSunColoradoSun Member Posts: 134
    edited February 2021
    AM Solar has a wiring diagram for installing the BMV 712 with two 6V batteries. (MONITOR-VTBMV-S.pdf) I'm considering the option of mounting the shunt inside the battery compartment in the small space to the left of the batteries in the photo. It is a tight fit but it seems to work if the shunt is mounted vertically on the side of the battery compartment closer to the inverter. My problem is drilling a pilot hole in such tight spot.
    One thing I noticed in the Victron instructions was when reconnecting the cables do the battery's negative pole last. I'm interpreting that to be the black cable coming into the battery compartment from the left side that had been disconnected from the the photo's point #1. That goes on the load side the shunt after connecting the short cable between the battery side of the shunt and the most negative terminal at Point #1. There is also the supply cable  running from the B1 connection on the shunt to the most positive terminal which is the terminal on the left battery in the photo.
    I've also read elsewhere to be sure to be disconnected from shore power, turn the battery disconnect switch to off and cover the roof top solar panel.
    Am I missing anything?
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2020 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab
    SW Colorado
  • Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    I don't know if you necessarily need to cover your solar panels when you do the installation.  It's not a bad precaution, but I'd just leave the reconnection of the Point #1 cable as the very last step in the process.  Until that point, there's no current flowing through your cables even if the sun's out - so just take care that you don't short any load wires to the chassis and I think you'll be ok.  In addition, I believe the MPPT 75/15 controller disconnects its output when detecting low voltage (which it will when you disconnect the negative of the battery).
  • Options
    Mounting the shunt next vertically would work, but you are going to need to extend the battery cable at #1 into the compartment next to the inverter to connect it to the load side of the shunt.  Then you will need a right angle drill to drill two two holes for, one for the cable now attached to the battery to go to the shunt, and one for the cable from the shunt back to the battery.  A vacuum to catch the bits from drilling, or remove the right side battery before drilling anything is better yet.  You do not want to drill a hole into the battery.

My original suggestion of just removing the passenger side of the bunk base, covering the storage locker is just four screws that are easy to access.  Then you will see the compartment where the battery cable no 1 goes to.  Here you can just simply disconnect the black battery wire from the junction buss box it is attached to and but the shunt between this cable (battery side) and the buss box (lids side).  Connect the shunt positive power cable and Bob’s your uncle... 

No holes to drill, other than the mounting holes for the shunt, or use self drilling screws.  There is room in this compartment to install the shunt, you could even avoid screws and use a commercial grade 3M foam double side tape, similar to command strips.
    cheers
  • Options
    TRobTRob Member Posts: 54
    Thanks for the help. The shunt is installed on the passenger side of the battery box on the divider between the batteries and the inverter. I have a 24" cable running from there to the battery negative (labeled 1 in the image). It's working perfectly. 
  • Options
    ColoradoSunColoradoSun Member Posts: 134
    I installed the stunt in the same location as TRob. It is a tight space to mount the stunt but it works fine once in place.
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2020 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab
    SW Colorado
  • Options
    warbler_roadwarbler_road Member Posts: 83
    I watched this guy's video and it told me everything I needed to know ... did the install from this alone.
    • Virginia
    • 2020 T@B 400
    • 2018 Tacoma SR V6 3.5L
  • Options
    PolanskysterPolanskyster Member Posts: 46
    Has anyone mounted the wired monitor.  I know it’s convenient to just throw it in the draw next to the battery or use the app but I was thinking of installing it next to the radio above the fridg.  Only issue is how to extend the wire to that location.  Any suggestions?

2021 T@B 400, 2020 Audi Q5 
    Portland, OR
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I installed the monitor on the closet wall facing the galley on our 2018, but that would not be an option for a 2021.  A better location might be up by the door with the other displays. It will fit, several members here have done that.  You need to fish the wire behind the galley cabinets, with the other wires.  Drill a hold in the facing where you want to mount it. 

You can pull the Alde or CoolCat displays out to get access behind that area and run a stiff wire back down through the wire chase.  You can use this to pull the shunt display wire back through, you have enough wire to reach.  On the TaB400, the angered panel at the foot of the bunk comes off, giving you access to thst end of the wire chase, just route the wire along the under bunk storage divider and back up.  Pulling the passenger side bunk support panel up will give to better access also. 

Another easy spot on the 400, but harder to read the display, in on the angle panel at the foot of the bunk, or under the back shelf at the foot of the bunk.  Lots of options, some harder to route wires to, but all are doable.

You can do a search here to find the discussion where this was done previously.
    cheers
  • Options
    PolanskysterPolanskyster Member Posts: 46
    @Denny16 thanks again.  Good idea, I will trace the wires from the Alde to the front door.
    2021 T@B 400, 2020 Audi Q5 
    Portland, OR
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Now there is a plan!  The wires get from the Alde side to the Pax side along, is along the inside of front bunk panel on the 400, 2021 has a double panel in the center storage area, that hides the wires.   Good luck
    Cheers