Options

New from Vermont

DougDDougD Member Posts: 3
So glad to join the TAB Forum.  Have lots of questions, but for now happy to connect.  We got our TAB 320 S in May 2020 in St. George, UT.  We were taking annual March vacation at Solitude to ski and visit children and grand children.  COVID quickly changed our return plans.  By May we realized flying and staying in hotels was out of the question.  So we sprung for our first ever camper, TAB 320 S.  There were none left in Salt Lake City so we traveled to St. George.  Immediately joined daughter and family for a weekend of Boondocking in/on Gooseberry Mesa.  Quite an adventure.  We are hooked.  Got back to Vermont for summer.  Now need to get back to the mountains.  I figured out with help of youtube videos the winterization process, hope I got it right. She is currently nested under trees and a foot of snow.  My question which led me to the forum was can we run the Alde heating system without using water heater.  Thinking of traveling back to Utah in March, probably too early to fully dewinterize.  The Alde site says YES this can be done.  Looking for feedback from the forum.  Enjoyed a couple of similar posts.  Also I need to replace battery.  Would like a good, AGM, not Lithium.  Look forward to learning a lot from this forum. 

Comments

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    edited February 2021
    @DougD, the simple answer to your question is yes. We have "dry camped" numerous times. Our 2017 (320 S) kept us from freezing while "STRANDED" in Evanston, Wyoming in 2018 for 16 days. We used the loo, mixing equal parts RV antifreeze with the liquids we"deposited" in the black tank. Ambient air temps hit -10°F for 2 nights. Black tank got slushy but stayed fluid enough to empty. If you have winterized, take a little extra time to figure out how to best cover your exterior a/c vent and maybe insulate around the unit to reduce cold air infiltration to the interior of your t@b. Carry drinking, cooking, washing and cleaning water in containers with you. There does NOT have to be water in the alde water tank to operate the system. The alde heats and circulates a special type of fluid called transfer fluid (glycol) to provide convection heat to the inside of the t@b. You'll be warm and comfy inside, if properly equipped and prepared, when outside temps begin to be inhospitable. Enjoy. Happy t@bbing. -Denise
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Excellent.  Thanks alot, especially how to 'use' the loo. 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    @DougD - not sure how you winterized, but the one caveat regarding heating after winterization is to make sure there is no antifreeze in the Alde water tank.  As long as the Alde water tank is empty, you can safely heat the cabin while winterized.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @Sharon_is_SAM, thanks. The stuff we take for granted is often outweighed by the stuff we have forgotten. I was remiss not pointing that out as I assume  everyone "knows" no rv antifreeze in the alde water tank for winter operation. Simply, I forgot this basic caveat. Great catch!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    @dragonsdofly - Two minds are better than one😁
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Got it.  I went over that step of the procedure several times before adding the AF.  Shut off all the intake/outtake hoses to the water tank.  So now if I want heat I just activate on the control panel, but leave hot water in the off position. 
  • Options
    There is a great dealer in VT. Dan Kearney's in the Rutkand area. Joe runs it and is great guy if you need dealer support.