Options

Flagpole Mount?

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
Has anyone fashioned a good method for mounting a flagpole to their T@B? I am thinking something that uses U bolts around the tongue jack might be the answer. I have seen hitch mounts, but I am in and out with my Jeep too much to mount there.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Was thinking about flag poles myself. Was thinking something mounted to the frame but though I better get a flagpole before figuring out how to mount it. They had some telescoping flagpoles when I was in Quartzite but didn't pop for one, should have.
  • Options
    Trum@nTrum@n Member Posts: 34
    We've found one of these telescoping flag poles to be quite versatile. We drive on to the base & fly 2 flags. You could pull the tab on to it but as tall as it is I'm afraid it would knock against the top. You could use u bolts for the jack but would have to be sure it's not too tight as it might squish the thin aluminum. We've used big zip ties & attached it to many things. It also works great for getting an antenna up higher for better reception.
  • Options
    Trum - Where did you get it?
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    I found a good use for a fishing rod holder I had in the garage.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Trum@nTrum@n Member Posts: 34
    Sam's Club but many years ago & haven't noticed them there recently. A quick search online shows those that do sell them are pretty proud of them.
  • Options
    R&DAndrewsR&DAndrews Member Posts: 116
    Really like this, good idea.  Do you have any cushion/padding on the clamp or any issues with it causing marks?
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    I used some clear plastic tape.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
  • Options
    This is exactly the kind of solution I was looking for. It looks nice, too!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    That, right there, is a great solution, and you can adjust it too.  I like that idea.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    sgttikisgttiki Member Posts: 92

A flag should fly without obstruction(s). I have a 24" piece of rebar which I hammer 12" into the ground. I made a flagpole of PVC pipe. I drilled holes into the PVC (top section) and attached the flag with zip ties.

Note: I sectioned the PVC in half and, when I need to fly the flag, I simply screw  (Don't muscle) the two halves together. I slide the bottom of the PVC over the rebar. I've never had a flag blow over, even in stiff winds. The flagpoles have never snapped!! Amazing!

I have made dozen of these for my organization, which attends many Military & Veteran events. They work great. I've not ever had a problem!

The flag flies properly. Storage is very easy. Simply unscrew the PVC halves and roll inside the flag for easy/proper storage. If anyone wants photos, go to YouTube, or Google: Patriot Guard Riders. Good Luck. Thanks for showing your Patriotism by flying the FLAG!

I carry dozens of the above noted in the back of my SUV without problem. 

• Options
    I ordered a set up which should arrive this week. Will post pictures when they arrive. I also ordered a WifI antenna to mount on it.

• Options
    ruminatorruminator Member Posts: 8
    Jenn, that would be most welcome. I will want to have a flag to fly and a WiFi antenna would be good too.
  • Options
    Jenn - Did you ever get a cell booster? Could antenna mount that also.
    About the only time I'm within range (boosted or not) of open-access wifi is if I'm parked outside a library :-)
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Jenn - Did you ever get a cell booster? Could antenna mount that also.
    About the only time I'm within range (boosted or not) of open-access wifi is if I'm parked outside a library :-)

Yes, I did get the Weboost 4GS (previously Wilson Electronics) booster. I have not had a good chance to really try it out, but should this weekend. My brother gets very weak service at his house. I believe I could mount the antenna on it, too. I think it would be fairly simple to mount a metal plate or bracket of some kind. Some new wireless boosters will probably come out next year, but it sounds like the cost will be a lot higher, so it might be a good time to buy in. I am not sure they really expect huge gains in reception from newer products, either.

I will do a full write-up once I get everything up and running. The antenna I got is indoor/outdoor so it could be used without deploying the flag pole, which could come in handy in bad weather or overnight at Walmart. I got a Ubiquity Nanostation M2. I plan to mount it on a 14' Flagpole to Go and mount it with a rod holder, similar to Dale's.

The Nanostation was open box from Amazon Warehouse so I paid half the price. We will see if it works. Amazon Warehouse isn't what it used to be, I have recently found out. Also, the M2 requires ac power. It uses POE front the antenna to an adapter and then ac power. The outside outlets will be perfect when I have power and I can use one of my Goal Zero devices when I don't. I have not found a simple way to runt he POE over 12v yet and not sure it is worth the effort because I would guess if you can access WiFi, you probably have electricity. This might be really nice for state parks that are starting to offer WiFi. I know that OH and CO both have some parks that offer WiFi.

The M2 will actually come in handy in my own backyard as my home WiFi is pretty weak into he backyard. I have a USB antenna, but it is finicky. It did help at campgrounds last summer, though.

• Options
    Jenn - When I'm parked in one of my brothers driveways visiting and hooked up to AC, I plug in a little Apple Airport Express ($100) and configure it as an extender to their wifi network - works like a charm.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Jenn - When I'm parked in one of my brothers driveways visiting and hooked up to AC, I plug in a little Apple Airport Express ($100) and configure it as an extender to their wifi network - works like a charm.

The biggest problem I have is that the USB CPE USB cord tends to get loose and so the connection is constantly getting dropped.

The Nanostation packs a bigger punch than a standard item like an airport express or normal extender, from what I understand Al; lowing you to connect over longer distances. It is meant for indoor/outdoor use, so that is also a bonus. I have read, however, that it is not for the computer challenged. There are a pretty good tutorials out there and I am fairly network literate, albeit a little rusty. It does require a router for more than one device to connect, but I can use my My Passport Wireless for that.