Options

Cheating on my T@B

Well that's how it feels. 

My my wife and I were seriously considering trading in our T@B for a larger trailer. It was a Lance 1575, which is only 3 and a half feet longer and about 4 inches wider. It does weigh an additional 1,000 pounds. 

So so the question is why?

My wife and I are not small people and to be honest, we enjoy staying in 4-5 star hotels. We have never tent camped. 

We we wanted something to travel with that would allow us to carry our belongings, have a fridge, restroom facilities and a bed to sleep on when needed. 

We we have found the T@B to be a bit of a logistical challenge as everything requires some thought for each and everything you do. 

We we placed a deposit on the Lance and travelled some distance to vie it. We were so disappointed. That's not to say that the Lance is not a fantastic unit, it's just that the T@B is so much better than anything I have seen. 

So so we cancelled the deal and stuck with the T@B. 

We still would like more storage, more headroom and a permanent bed, but until the L400 comes to North America, it seems that T@B is one of the best towable options out there. 

So so it seems that Pleasant Valley / LG has the magic formula for lightweight towables. 

Now we may still make a switch to a Class B, but that is a much larger investment. 

So for now, my apologies to T@berious.
Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 

Comments

• Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    What were your thoughts on seeing the Lance 1575.  We are possibly thinking of purchasing one in the future, so we can take our indoor cat member with us. We owned Winnebago View motorhome for 7 years, so we do miss the larger holding tanks, plus the separate shower and toilet.  We are going later on in July to look at them in Duluth, MN, also going to look Winnebago Minnie Winnie, but hard to commit to this investment again, now that we are retired.  

Can you let me know, what you considered the good and bad about the unit.

Thanks,
    Jeff

• Options
    mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    Well the good:
    • Supperior construction, similar to that of the T@B, that is in terms of wall floor and roof.  It is well thought out and full featured. Okay, similar to the T@B.
    • The slide out is fabulous. Lots of room and comfortable. Not flimsy plywood with a slab of foam by any means. The bathroom has a shower that I would consider usable and for those with small children (grandchildren) the base of the shower is deep enough for bathing small ones. 
    • LED lights in and out, again like the T@B. 
    • Tons of storage space for everything. All the stuff that we are challenged with the T@B, such as chairs, awning mat, barbecue, and gas fire pit. Not to mention things like sewer hoses, levelling blocks and water hoses. 
    • Full time queen bed with a real mattress.
    • Options such as power awning with cool LED lights, microwave, oven and high efficiency roof top A/C. 
    • Width of the trailer is 7 feet.  
    • Lots of windows and are of the same design as the T@B, albeit, the shades and blimds
    The not so good:
    • Cabinetry well built, but not of the same charm and warmth as the T@B.
    • The bathroom is not accessible with the slide in. 
    • The interior feels Spartan compared to the T@B. I'm not sure why, but it just does not make you smile like the T@B does.
    • It seems big, really big, but that's compared to the T@B. Park it beside a typical 5th wheel, and it looks small, but it's all relative. 
    • Bed is side to side, so you have to organize your trip to the washroom at night. 
    If you are looking at the next step up from the T@B in terms of towables, the Lance 1575 should be on the top of your list, but be assured, you are now in the realm of real travel trailer, aka a box on wheels. 

The Lance is expensive. The 1575 gives up some luxury in order to be one of the lightest for its size and features. If you try to compare with other models such as the Lance 1995, you will see what I mean.

Here in Canada the Lance 1575 is almost twice the cost of a T@B M@xx S, and that is a significant investment, so it really has to make sense in terms of features. 

I encourgae those whose needs of a lightweight, (3,500 GTW) with plenty of space to look at the Lance. It is a well built unit and like Pleasant Valley / LG, they stand behind their product and are committed to customer service excellence. 

As as we all know, there is not a one size fits all solution.  The T@B holds tremendous charm and appeal and its size and weight allow almost anyone to enjoy it, however, as with everything, there are compromises. 

As as I sit by the propane fire pit outside my T@B, enjoying a glass of wine, posting this comment, I am thankful for what I have been blessed with in life.

Happy camping. 
  • Options
    In terms of the Mini Winnie and the Lance, while the Winnie may initially have better aesthetic appeal, the Lance wins hands down on quality and functionally. 
  • Options
    Sorry, I didn't know Winnebago made a trailer called the Minnie Winnie.  I was referring to the class c motorhome they manufacture.  The expense was in reference to buying another motorhome.
  • Options
    rkhammondrkhammond Member Posts: 54
    We also considered the Lance 1575 while we researched and compaired the light weight trailer options. It definately came in at the top as far as any 'box' style trailer in the light weight options. Something to consider is the cargo capcity / water carrying capacity. It has superior tank size compaired to the Tab, but if you are inclined to lean this way for your water needs you may find a large portion of the available cargo weight could be consumed with your water load. I beleive the total cargo capacity is 1025 lbs.   We ended up wanting simple over space. No slide out issues to worry about, and overall weight with cargo on the Lance would have taken our TV capacity to its limits.  I prefer to have a slight abundance in this area so we would have had to consider a larger TV also.  Plus, we love the keder rail feature on the Tab...so many tent and awning options!
    Kelly & Roy ~ Wyoming
    2016 T@B Q ~ 
    2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    I guess I'm kinda a vain critter, I care what things look like and I appreciate form.  The tear drops, and T@Bs are beautiful.  I enjoy walking back to camp or up my driveway and seeing the T@B.  The Lance does nothing for me in this regard.   Only one other travel trailer makes me smile and makes me want to stare at it, that is an Airstream.  
  • Options
    AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
    Martin.  If you are looking for a well built larger trailer, check out the molded fiberglass Escape.  Their workmanship is the best anywhere, and it comes in a 17', 19', 21' and a 5th wheel.  
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options
    Thanks Allie, I will check out the Escape. 
  • Options
    R&DAndrewsR&DAndrews Member Posts: 116
    We will be purchasing our T@B CS-S special order sooner, but the camper that I have also been interested in is Safari Condo manufactured in Canada http://www.safaricondo.com/en/ .  Have never seen one, but they seem similar to the larger T@B from Europe.  They are finally available for sale from the factory to the US, but husband didn't want to make a trip to Canada.  Has anyone ever seen one of these?  I don't like the interiors as much as the T@B though.
  • Options
    Just checked the link and it says there is an error, but if you click on Home or Travel trailers it works.
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    We will be purchasing our T@B CS-S special order sooner, but the camper that I have also been interested in is Safari Condo manufactured in Canada http://www.safaricondo.com/en/ .  Have never seen one, but they seem similar to the larger T@B from Europe.  They are finally available for sale from the factory to the US, but husband didn't want to make a trip to Canada.  Has anyone ever seen one of these?  I don't like the interiors as much as the T@B though.
    I think you're referring to the Alto - correct? Before I saw the T@Bs I was seriously considering that one but like you said, one would have to get it in Canada and I was concerned about warranty work. Guess if you lived far NE getting there wouldn't be an issue but traveling around and having to have work done on it would be. The one with the retractable roof is innovative (they also make a fixed roof model). And the pre-installed solar panels are cool too. I kind of liked the kitchen area and of course all the windows when the roof is raised. But I still love the T@Bs better.
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    My 2 questions are, that is a large seal area when lifted, future leaking problem and the other is, if the lift motor or motors die, does that mean no use of the trailer.  We saw one in camped in the Badlands, SD.  It is cool looking!
  • Options
    I think you're referring to the Alto - correct? Before I saw the T@Bs I was seriously considering that one but like you said, one would have to get it in Canada and I was concerned about warranty work. Guess if you lived far NE getting there wouldn't be an issue but traveling around and having to have work done on it would be. The one with the retractable roof is innovative (they also make a fixed roof model). And the pre-installed solar panels are cool too. I kind of liked the kitchen area and of course all the windows when the roof is raised. But I still love the T@Bs better.

Yes I like the fixed roof model as the layout is close to the larger T@B that is in Europe, but I agree with you that I like the T@Bs better and love that the factory is so close to me (Pittsburgh, PA).
  • Options
    I checked out the Escape trailers and they appear to be very well constructed. It looks like they have very limited production and are very much hand built. It's too bad I was not aware them a couple of days sooner as I was in the area where they are produced earlier this week. 

The Alto trailers are also interesting but no dealers here on the West coast of Canada. I find that they have more the feel of a refined hard side pop-up. I did see one on the road a couple of weeks ago, but did not get to see it up close. 
  • Options
    BBchBumBBchBum Member Posts: 105
    Martin - another well built larger trailer is the Oliver.  You can find information about them from the link below
    http://olivertraveltrailers.com
  • Options
    BBchBum said:
    Martin - another well built larger trailer is the Oliver.  You can find information about them from the link below
    http://olivertraveltrailers.com
    Nice! I owned sailboats for years and the inside of an Oliver really looks like a sail boat does below.  Nice approach.  
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Saw one of those in a parking lot late at night last year but didn't know what it was - it didn't have a single graphic or identifier on it other than a university sticker on a window. Was all buttoned up tight and was gone the next morning. Looked like a real nice, well made little unit.
    I'm not a big fan of the stark, white fiberglass interiors of these, the Casitas or Scamps though. To sterile and cold for my tastes.
  • Options
    I agree with the dislike of the stark white.  I did find it very strange that the Casitas and Oliver have the exact same interior layout, even down to the stove turned 90 degrees from normal
  • Options
    That was the only Oliver I've seen - Lots of Casitas out there, saw them everywhere. Tons of them around Quartzite.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Casitas have a yearly gathering at Quartsite in January.  Here in the Midwest, we rarely see Casitas or Scamps or Escapes or Eggs--never heard of an Oliver before tonight.  I couldn't believe how many I saw in the Southwest last winter.  Very popular.  Rather Spartan when you look at the Little Guy cabinetry and interior design. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Scamps are made in MN but I saw more on the road than I've ever seen in MN.
  • Options
    While I have been looking at other options, every time I open the door of the T@B, I am reminded why I bought one. There is just something about them that no other manufacturer has been able to copy. If LG / Pleasant Valley start production on th L400, the larger European T@B, I think they will need at least another plant as big as the one they just moved into. Everyone who looks at the T@B, thinks they are wonderful. The only reason many more don't buy them, is they feel they are just a bit too small. 
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    mawebb - Agree, the only downside for many is the size. There's actually more room than it looks on first blush but it's still tight for some.
  • Options
    mawebb said:
    While I have been looking at other options, every time I open the door of the T@B, I am reminded why I bought one. There is just something about them that no other manufacturer has been able to copy. If LG / Pleasant Valley start production on th L400, the larger European T@B, I think they will need at least another plant as big as the one they just moved into. Everyone who looks at the T@B, thinks they are wonderful. The only reason many more don't buy them, is they feel they are just a bit too small. 
    Definitely agree with you on this.  I have wanted a T@B since I first saw them in 2009, but they didn't have a bathroom and our son was only 2 so decided against them due to size.  Now there is a bathroom and our son is older so we can utilize tents for sleeping.  Would have purchased sooner if they had the larger T@B though. I think their production will skyrocket with the larger T@B because it will appeal to many more people.  
  • Options
    geromogeromo Member Posts: 33
    We looked at a unit called "lil snoozy" all fiberglass made near Columbia SC--awesome but very pricey. 
  • Options
    larrygonlarrygon Member Posts: 255
    mawebb said:
     The only reason many more don't buy them, is they feel they are just a bit too small. 
    The size and weight was the reason I bought the T@B. I have had the large trailers with pop outs and more room. I had a large truck and paid for storage but now I can tow this with my Outback and store it in my average two car garage. One size will never fit everyone so that is why there is US and THEM! ;-)
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
    2015 T@B M@X S White with Grey trim | TV 2021 Ascent Touring | Flagstaff AZ.
  • Options
    Hans111Hans111 Member Posts: 47
    edited July 2015
    We've known a number of RV-ing friends who began with a smallish trailer or class-C as a starter, and then traded up a few feet every other year or so until they were driving the big bus. And they love it. But the small aesthetic of the T@B appeals to us because it keeps things simple and efficient and lets us spend our time outdoors. No diesel pusher in our future!
    Doug
    Des Moines Iowa
    2016 S Max Sofitel
  • Options
    Hans111 said:
    We've known a number of RV-ing friends who began with a smallish trailer or class-C as a starter, and then traded up a few feet every other year or so until they were driving the big bus. And they love it. But the small aesthetic of the T@B appeals to us because it keeps things simple and efficient and lets us spend our time outdoors. No diesel pusher in our future!
    In the boating world in appears in the form of, " if I had a boat just 3' longer I could have a..."  It never ends. 
  • Options
    Rad - I have sailing friends, have heard that a million times. I keep tellin them it's just a bigger hole in the water to throw money into.
  • Options
    sgttikisgttiki Member Posts: 92

My take on the T@B. I will be ordering mine [hopefully] within a few weeks. I will be ordering without ever seeing one up close and personal.

Initially, I had my doubts about a T@B. Problems with the A/C. Problems with the propane/battery cover cracking. Etc. These are engineering problems which LG needs to address with qualified engineers/fabricators. These problems should no longer exist. The factory should work to aggressively eliminate these problems from occurring/recurring!

All of the other minor problems that may arise, I can handle. I am a bit of a fabricator/tinkerer. Can't wait to transform my T@B!

As to the size of the T@B; I'm 6'2". Again, second thoughts about T@B. Here's how I justify my decision:

If I were lost in a forest, or desert, and found an abandoned T@B, I would, as a matter of survival, make do with that T@B. Well, if I can make do when it is a matter of survival, obviously I can [easily] make it work when the T@B is used for pleasurable outings!* IMPROVISE, ADAPT, OVERCOME!

*Discovering America!!

I do love the shape of the T@B and feel it will have ease of towing. Also, I'm well acquainted with downsizing to "just the basics." Prior to discovering the existence of T@B's, I was planning on building, or buying an "ordinary" teardrop trailer.

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

To all the good folks who are a part of this forum; HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY! We are all fortunate to live in such a great nation!