Options

Cheating on my T@B

2»

Comments

• Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    sgttiki said:

My take on the T@B. I will be ordering mine [hopefully] within a few weeks. I will be ordering without ever seeing one up close and personal.

Initially, I had my doubts about a T@B. Problems with the A/C. Problems with the propane/battery cover cracking. Etc. These are engineering problems which LG needs to address with qualified engineers/fabricators. These problems should no longer exist. The factory should work to aggressively eliminate these problems from occurring/recurring!

All of the other minor problems that may arise, I can handle. I am a bit of a fabricator/tinkerer. Can't wait to transform my T@B!

As to the size of the T@B; I'm 6'2". Again, second thoughts about T@B. Here's how I justify my decision:

If I were lost in a forest, or desert, and found an abandoned T@B, I would, as a matter of survival, make do with that T@B. Well, if I can make do when it is a matter of survival, obviously I can [easily] make it work when the T@B is used for pleasurable outings!* IMPROVISE, ADAPT, OVERCOME!

*Discovering America!!

I do love the shape of the T@B and feel it will have ease of towing. Also, I'm well acquainted with downsizing to "just the basics." Prior to discovering the existence of T@B's, I was planning on building, or buying an "ordinary" teardrop trailer.

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

To all the good folks who are a part of this forum; HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY! We are all fortunate to live in such a great nation!  

Yes. I liked the quote about "the bigger the rig, the less you see (outside) of the occupants". Happy Independence Day to the U.S. Citizens among us. I for one am grateful for the public lands we have - so far the state parks by far are the best quality camping experiences and facilities we've found.
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    Is the T@B perfect? Well the answer is no.  But that being said, nor is any other RV on the road.

While I agree that the factory needs to address engineering shortcomings, the fact is that not everyone has issues with the propane / battery cover cracking. It seems that is is largely dependent upon your TV and the amount of turbulence caused by your TV. The A/C is a relatively new issue, since they have been installing A/C units in the upper configuration for a short time. Prior to these units they used a unit called a Cool Cat and installed in lower position. I think it's more about a residential A/C window type unit as opposed to the Cool Cat which is an RV specific unit.

The factory does listen, and adjust production techniques, but it is matter of the number of issues and the seriousness of the issues. 

Just keep in mind that if you bought something from one of the "big guys" (FR), stuff would be falling apart, not working, broken etc. and you would be hard pressed to get the attention of anyone. 

T@B owners have come to expect more and as such are more demanding. It's funny how that works. 

Please don't be dissuaded in any way by this forum. I have not seen any horror stories about the T@B, only minor issues that have been addressed. That can't be said about many other units. 
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • Options
    skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    We"d like to chime in on the comments sgttiki. We have been Little Guy/Pleasant Valley users since early 2009.  We've watch them grow tremendously over the last few years but always they have been really responsive to customers needs.  Personally we have never experienced anything less than an over-the-top response to warranty claims. On more than one occasion they have identified and corrected problems for us even before we have realized we had a problem. And we've watched them continuously improve the designs in response to user experiences. Besides the lovely design, it's this commitment to quality that continually makes us smile as we wander around the country.  As we meet folks that express an interest in our little T@B, we just cannot keep from bragging on the quality of service that we get from Pleasant Valley/Little Guy!
    Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    Patti said:
    Somewhere--don't remember where--somebody mentioned Lance trailers as the obvious next step up from T@Bs, and others praised them, too. I think it was on FB.

I'm just curious. Anybody here see them and compare them? Are they better constructed than R-Pods, which look flimsy even in the videos?
    They look better inside than the R Pod, but, they sure are ugly on the outside!
  • Options
    I know the Castia has a big following.  The interior layout of the 17' is very usable.  You do have to get past the fiberglass look.  I spent years with fiberglass sailboats so the look inside and out is kinda ok for me.  Not as nice as the TaB or Airstream look, but acceptable.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I seriously considered the 13' Scamp with wet bath, but decided to stay in the family ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Verna said:
    I seriously considered the 13' Scamp with wet bath, but decided to stay in the family ;)
    Well, the family comment is a very important one for me.  I have not found another manufacturer with the responsiveness of LG nor a forum as active and helpful as this one.  It really makes me consider waiting to upgrade to standing headroom and a fixed bed unit until the 400 comes out from LG.
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Airstream Bambi is a nice trailer, but you have to justify the cost factor, pays for many trips for the privilege of owning one.  Also, they are very heavy for their size and make sure you have ample storage in your TV, as there is minimum storage in the Bambi. Still a wet bath and only one holding tank.  Don' t get me wrong, I love Airstream.

Another brand of trailer you might consider is Livin' Lite Camplite, all aluminum frame and floor.  But once again it is a conventional shape trailer and very utilitarian interior.  
  • Options
    jdargis said:
    Airstream Bambi is a nice trailer, but you have to justify the cost factor, pays for many trips for the privilege of owning one.  Also, they are very heavy for their size and make sure you have ample storage in your TV, as there is minimum storage in the Bambi. Still a wet bath and only one holding tank.  Don' t get me wrong, I love Airstream.

Another brand of trailer you might consider is Livin' Lite Camplite, all aluminum frame and floor.  But once again it is a conventional shape trailer and very utilitarian interior.  
    I love the Airstream look, the set bed, standing head room and dinette but I'm not sold on most other aspects of the rig. Not a fan of the single holding tank, small capacities, weight and poor reliability.  Oh ya, then there is that whole cost thing...Yikes!

I'm liking the Camplite! Thanks for posting it.  
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    See very few Scamps on the road and only a few in campgrounds - I'm always on the lookout as they're built in northern MN - the ones I have run into don't seem to have held up very well so my impression is they aren't built very well. The Casitas seem to hold up better.
  • Options
    Casita doesn't have a 13'. That's why I was looking at the Scamp. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    Verna, I'm glad you stayed in the family.
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
    Yes the Lance is extremely well engineered and built. That being said, the smallest and lightest unit, the 1575, just seemed to be lacking any sense of charm. 

There is something to be said how you feel when you step inside an RV. Despite the knowledge that behind the wall finish, under the floor and inside the cabinets is the that you have a well constructed and durable product, if it still looks like a white box, it simply does not satisfy the desire for that certain feeling of warmth and comfort.

This is where the T@B shines, as it it does both, and it does it well. (Warmth, charm and excellent construction)

When you get into the larger Lance models, they do have a better ambiance than the 1575, but you need the appropriate tow vehicle and you have to understand that you jump from a 7' wide trailer to a typical 8' width.

The Camp Lite, Livin Lite units are even more amazing, but many find them to be even more "sterile" than the Lance. Once you understand how these are constructed, you realize they will look as good 25 years from now as they do the day you buy one. They are an Airstream without the mystique. They are extremely well built and contain no wood whatsoever.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    mawebb said:

The Camp Lite, Livin Lite units are even more amazing, but many find them to be even more "sterile" than the Lance. Once you understand how these are constructed, you realize they will look as good 25 years from now as they do the day you buy one. They are an Airstream without the mystique. They are extremely well built and contain no wood whatsoever.
    I have spent the last few hours on the LivinLite forum and was really surprised by the number of threads about leaks!

i thought it might be my next rig, small, same length as the T@B, standing headroom, a bed that can be left made as there is a small dinettes, very good holding capacities and fantastic storage.  

The leak threads may well be an anomaly, I will keep checking.

I do really like the utilitarian clean look of the interiors

Gotta pack, leave in the T@B tomorrow for a short trip up the coast.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    The Living' Lite Jeep campers is what originally got me into looking at RVs. I am sure I must have run across the T@bs when looking at those. I was also sold on the aluminum construction. I never cared for the RPod. It always felt like the teardrop that wanted too much to be a traditional RV. If I ever left my T@b, it would be for a Bambi and regarding storage, it seems to have decent amount... of course that's coming from a T@b. I love the big windows on those Bambi units.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Well as a couple of weeks ago, I sadly said goodbye to my T@B as I left the world of towables and now own a 22 foot Class C motor home. 

In in a lot of ways, I miss the T@B, but it was just not providing my wife and I with the camping experience we were looking for. 

My traded in T@B lasted less than a week on the dealers lot, as it was like new and was much less that buying new. 

I enjoy this forum so much, I continue to read and comment on posts regularly, even though I am no longer a T@B owner. 

In in terms of lightweight towables, I still think the Livin Lite is one of the best units due to its construction and the material used. 
  • Options
    mawebb said:
    Well as a couple of weeks ago, I sadly said goodbye to my T@B as I left the world of towables and now own a 22 foot Class C motor home. 

In in a lot of ways, I miss the T@B, but it was just not providing my wife and I with the camping experience we were looking for. 

My traded in T@B lasted less than a week on the dealers lot, as it was like new and was much less that buying new. 

I enjoy this forum so much, I continue to read and comment on posts regularly, even though I am no longer a T@B owner. 

In in terms of lightweight towables, I still think the Livin Lite is one of the best units due to its construction and the material used. 
    My T@B did not last long.  The new owners have their cashiers check in hand and will come into town Saturday to finalize the deal.  I have 4 different folks in line if for some outside reason the deal falls through Saturday.

As for the Livin Lite, I gave up on them none to see anywhere out on the west coast and the factory won't return my contacts.  I will take my money elsewhere.  

Enjoy your class C, I had one for about ten years.  
  • Options
    ELKELK Member Posts: 213
    edited August 2015
    Check out The Nest...made here in Oregon and really well designed. www.nestcaravans.com      The Safari Alto has a year and a half wait list!!

2015 T@B Max S.  TV: 2015.5 Volvo XC70. 
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Well, ya gotta get what works for ya kinda like LadyArtist and her Airstream - Hope you both stick around though.
  • Options
    judymacjudymac Member Posts: 403
    Conrad, did I miss your previous post?  Have you sold?
    Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

• Options
    edited August 2015
    judymac said:
    Conrad, did I miss your previous post?  Have you sold?
    No money in hand yet, that happens Saturday.  The buyers are very excited and say all the correct stuff.  However, it did come through Craiglist so you never know what can happen.  

We we continue our search for the perfect small trailer but the T@B has spoiled us in regards to the overall look, feel, charm and interior craftsmanship.  I sure wish it was a t@d bigger =)
  • Options
    Rad, Joe Kicos is serious about having the larger T@B, by the way. 6" taller, 3' longer, dedicated dinette. He wants it out by next Fall. This is what the Buzz said at Tearstock. It is supposed to be an Americanized version of the European T@B 400.  Will it have the same cabinetry of the T@B, or that of the Cirrus truck camper? I don't know if that has been figured out. Many are patiently waiting. (Not me!  I've had my T@B for one month and it's fine with me.). Be sure to consider electric/battery operated stabilizers and front jack for whatever you decide.,
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    ELK said:
    Check out The Nest...made here in Oregon and really well designed. www.nestcaravans.com      The Safari Alto has a year and a half wait list!!

Thanks, I just checked it out.  Way way way to much money.  Starts at 30k, then you have to add on all the stuff ya really need like air conditioning etc.  I bet it is 35-40k by the time you are done.

The interior looks difficult to use for two people.

Verna
    The problem for us with the bigger tab, it is 19' long, yikes. It it would be difficult to fit it into the area I have at the house to store it.  

We will keep looking
  • Options
    ELKELK Member Posts: 213
    I wish they still made the TADA...or that LG would make it. Although the T@B XL 400 is really nice.  Good luck, conRAD!
    2015 T@B Max S.  TV: 2015.5 Volvo XC70. 
  • Options
    vitovito Member Posts: 181
    Interesting thread. I'm a real newbie, both to using any camping trailer and to my new 2016 S Maxx in particular. My big issue before getting the T@b was that I don't own a truck or large tow vehicle, and didn't want to spend the big bucks for a new vehicle plus whatever travel trailer we would buy. While I saw some hard sided pop-ups and similar things before seeing the T@b they all seemed very flimsy and insecure to me. And some had toilets, but I never saw a small camper with a shower before we saw the T@b. I had pretty much convinced myself that our only camping option was to commit to the cost of a new motorhome (yes, I know it makes sense to buy used but I just don't like used vehicles and if I went the motorhome route it would have to be a new one). Not being sure if my wife and I would even really like the whole RV thing, I worried about making a $80-100K expense, especially now that I am retired. Then we were at a local RV show and saw a T@b. Both my wife and I were so impressed and taken with it (it was a model with the shower and toilet) that we suddenly realized that maybe we could buy something and tow it with our 6-cylinder Subaru Outback. So we ordered and now have the S Maxx Sofitel. We've spent some nights in it, and used the shower and toilet (cramped but workable). I also wish we had some more storage space, larger holding tanks, and most importantly, separate seating and sleeping space so that we didn't have to change the configuration twice a day, but overall I am very happy I bought the T@b. Its pricey for its size, but certainly can meet our needs and desires for far less than buying a big tow vehicle and larger trailer or a motorhome. 
    2016 T@b S Maxx
    2011 Subaru Outback
    Rockford, Illinois