Options

2021 external solar input

LammyWinnLammyWinn Member Posts: 26
The 2021 does it have an external solar input?

EDIT: called nuCamp. 

Comments

• Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,018
    It was not standard on the early 2021 that were built.  Ours did not have one but I requested one so they added it with no charge since they were going to make it standard on future 2021 models.  So yes it is now standard on the 2021 400 but on the first few months of the builds it was not.  Very easy to install though if you want one.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    Thanks @bergger. Not really at no charge, per nuCamp. But glad to know it wasn’t forgotten, but rather it’s for a 2021 T@B 400 BD version 2. 
  • Options
    rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    edited February 2021
    The newer 2021 400s have the stock solar port located right below the 30 Amp plug in and it is wired directly the battery bank.
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO
  • Options
    ColoradoSunColoradoSun Member Posts: 134
    We are considering replacing the charge controller on our 100W Renogy suitcase portable panels with another Victron MPPT 75/15. From what I've heard the two different controllers may not work well together, with the lower voltage panel being cancelled out. Another Victron controller could be networked with the factory installed controller and the Victron battery monitor I installed. At first I thought I would just swap out the controllers right on the portable panel but the Victron is not rated for outdoor use. I'm looking for the easiest location to install the second Victron on the wire running between the external solar port and the batteries. 
    I am hoping someone owning a 2021 T@B 400 BD has already done this. Any description of an accessible location for the controller and identification of the wire would be helpful.
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2020 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab
    SW Colorado
  • Options
    The solar plug is wired directly to the battery and is independent of the roof mounted system.  You should just be able to plug in the Renogy suitcase be just fine.  I don't believe the controllers every work together.  
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    I've heard some sources say with two independent controllers, only the one generating the higher voltage will actually be charging the battery bank. I suppose now that we have a battery monitor I should be able to test whether that is true.
    SW Colorado
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    Since both outputs of the controllers are connected in parallel they will both see the same voltage and will attempt to deliver as much current as the solar panel allows based on the specific algorithm of the controller. One reason to have compatible controllers and networked (like the Victron if you have an integrated shunt). BUT having any 2 controllers whether they are the same or not is usually better than hooking up two panels that don't get the same sunlight. Note that MPPT controllers are more responsive to solar conditions than the older PWM controllers.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,514
    @ColoradoSun - if you have 2 panels of different wattage on a single charge controller, then the output is limited by the smaller of the 2 panels.  If you have 2 separate arrays on their own controller, they work independently of one another.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @ColoradoSun - if you have 2 panels of different wattage on a single charge controller, then the output is limited by the smaller of the 2 panels.  If you have 2 separate arrays on their own controller, they work independently of one another.
    That is my understanding as well.  They should be completely independent.  
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Thank you for the clarification. I know most grid-tied roof top solar arrays now use micro-inverters or a power optimizer on each module so they perform independently.
    SW Colorado
  • Options
    dlbdlb Member Posts: 141
    I added a second Victron MPPT 75/15 on the inside connecting it between the solar port and battery.  I will be testing the system as soon as my portable panels arrive.
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    @bergger, when nuCamp say they will send the item out...do they actually do it or does it require following up?
    Update: Got it
  • Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    bergger said:
    That is my understanding as well.  They should be completely independent.  
    Kind of.. If the panels are in parallel, and you match the Vmp, you won't have much loss.  If the panels are in series and you match the max current, you won't have much loss either.  So in theory you could have different panels of different sizes that work perfectly well together.  You could also have same-wattage panels that don't work well together because they have different maximum current/voltage point.

In general, for installing parallel panels on the same controller, assuming your controller can handle the total current, it's more critical to match the Vmp.

Here's a great site explaining this: https://solarpanelsvenue.com/mixing-solar-panels/
  • Options
    dlb I am considering doing the same thing. What T@B are you working with? I'm trying to figure out where in the wiring from the outside port to the battery bank would work best install the Victron controller.
    SW Colorado
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    If you two identical panels and no shade, you can really get some great output by running them in series.  I ran a Victron 100/30 solar controller, used  #8 wire, and had 2 6v lead acid batteries. I was working from my T@b and FT for about 3 months. Only one day did I not get 100% recharge, and it was the only day of all cloud cover in that period. I had more than enough battery to get me to the next day when I recharged. High voltage will recharge faster, which is nice if you have to be checking out of a campsite at 11:30.

If you want plan on running them in parallel, the longer cable will cost you some efficiency. You can mitigate that by going with a thicker gage wire.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    I have a Tab 400 BD delivered in January 2021.  I pulled the drawer out from under the closet to get access to the wiring.  You will need your miniature elf suit to get in there to work comfortably.
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
  • Options
    dlb Thanks, that is where I suspected and I took a peek in there but haven't figured out how to get the drawer yet!
    SW Colorado
  • Options
    There are latch levers on the side of the rails.  Pull the draw out and you will see the extended levers with the hook on them.  Push them up or down, you will feel them release and pull the drawer out.
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
  • Options
    Thank you!
    SW Colorado