Step modification

Is there a 2 step replacement available somewhere that also folds in under the T@b, and turns on the light when folded out?  I have a 2021 T@b 320s boondock.
Dawn

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Not that I know, but you can purchase a short portable step to place in front of the attached step.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    Vernas link is elegant.

I made a couple of 2x4 and plywood boxes for extra steps when we had our pop up.

I've seen pictures of people using plastic spa steps instead of the fold out step.

Only problem is they are bulky to store/transport.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Even with a pickup truck, space is valuable. These legs fold and the legs are adjustable. I fold it up and lay it inside the T@B door (wiping it off as necessary). Easy to use, lightweight. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    Verna said:
    Even with a pickup truck, space is valuable. These legs fold and the legs are adjustable. I fold it up and lay it inside the T@B door (wiping it off as necessary). Easy to use, lightweight. 
    You mean your truck bed doesn't have the Tardis option with infinite space?  You got gypped!
    Tampa FL
  • DawnSDawnS Member Posts: 4
    Looks perfect, thanks Verna.
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    edited March 2021
    I have stepped on @Verna's step and it is really solid.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• LisamorrisetteLisamorrisette Member Posts: 44
    Thanks $60 sounds much better than the $200 to reboot my old step. 
    Furbug 2014 T@B S - TV Toyota RAV
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    My Outback sits slightly higher than the standard T@B. The Harbor Freight step stool for $20 bucks is exactly at the factory pull-out step height.  Been using it for several years.  The factory step is "squishy."  I don't feel comfortable using it. 
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    The steps are also useful if you have a side tent.  The tent skirting hides the pull out step, so the portable step comes in handy.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    m_lewis said:
    The steps are also useful if you have a side tent.  The tent skirting hides the pull out step, so the portable step comes in handy.
    I cut a slit in the skirt to let the step out and down. 

After several near falls, we also found the step too squishy and too small, so I built a two-step stacking porch out of PVC boards, some dowel pins, and a couple of latches to hold the pair together.

At most campsites, we use both, but at those that are sloped where the door side is lower, we just use the one step. 

I also taped the slit closed, wish I hadn't cut it.

Looks like your top step is just below the T@B floor, and the bottom step is about the height of the slide out step?

What's the approximate weight?
    Tampa FL
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    I totally agree with the to small and squishy. Our solution would not solve the height problem but has worked very well for the other two. I enlarged the step with a piece of 3/4” plywood. Bolted directly to the original step. I then mounted  a small scissors jack from Harbor Freight to the underside. When the step is retracted there is still a portion extended. This works well for quick stops. Where we do not want to fully extend the step. When the jack is retracted it no lower than the lowest part of the step assembly. This has served us well for the last 5years.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    another @Dalehelman first!!!
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
    Dale - what is that strut you have on the door????
    edited March 2021
    @Tabaz It allows us to close the door without having to go outside to release the latch. It’s also handy on very windy days, but you don’t have the wind issue down where you live. 

Photo resized.

1. Hash  T@B Fun
    Clever as usual Dale.  Would not work for me because I have a thin metal rod that I attach to the door's plastic latch and the receiver on the sidewall.  This allows me to lock the door in an open position without the top of the door hitting the XL Visor.  I think that too was one of your mods.
    @Tabaz Correct, but the strut is mounted so the door is not in the full open position. So it doesn’t interfere with our visor. I also took a piece of 1/4” clear tubing about a foot long. Slit on side with a razor knife. Then I slipped it over the top edge of the door so the aluminum doesn’t rub the underside of the visor.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    I picked up something similar to Verna's, as I'm finding it is needed with our Boondock..our legs aren't adjustable but love how compact it is..I do wish NuCamp had a switch inside to turn the step light out after you hit the sack. Canadian Tire again filled our needs.

Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    edited March 2021
    Dale needs to publish a book!!! lol
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • GeorgiaMBGeorgiaMB Member Posts: 33
    @Dalehelman. How did you attach the rug to the step? Is it just laying on it or secured? I just don’t love the kind you have to wrap around and strap down. 
    2021 T@B Boondock 320S | 2021 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 
    @GeorgiaMB
    Glue and flat head screws.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun