Covid Vaccine While on the Road

4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
Has anyone been successful in getting a vaccine while traveling.  Full timers, what do you do?  I don't qualify(too young, too healthy and not a first responder/medical prof) and plan to hit the road in the next month & 1/2...
TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
2018 320S Outback

Comments

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    I am not sure there is anywhere you can get one if you are under 65 and don't fit into another special category tight now. A local health system has held two mass vaccination events, recently (3,500 in a day), and have said they could vaccinate up to 10-15k people in a day if supplies were higher.

I know FT RVers who are above 65 and who had been able to get the vaccine, though. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    @jkjenn, yes, I understand the age, health & type of work part, but what about residency? Right now, isn't it only provided to the legal residence of each state?  Once they release to under 65, will I have to go back to my legal state of residence?  I'm hoping that at some point they will allow you to go anywhere...thats my hope at least...
    2018 320S Outback
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    Where ever you happen to be, it seems you would have to closely follow the local health departments.  Supplies are getting better and the shots will get easier to find as time goes on. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    I know some FTers who got the shot in states other than their home state. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

jkjenn said:
    I know some FTers who got the shot in states other than their home state. 
    Thats promising...
    2018 320S Outback
  • ColoradoSunColoradoSun Member Posts: 134
    In Colorado you do not need to be a state resident to qualify for the Covid vaccine.
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2020 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab
    SW Colorado
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Indiana is only allowing residents to get the vaccinations. But some nearby out of state residents will be able to get their 2nd shot here after getting their first shots here. Not a lot of full/timers here in the winter😁
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • dlbdlb Member Posts: 139
    In NC there is no restriction on residency.  It takes good luck to get the appointment.  As the supply increases this has become less of an issue.
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
    NC is in our travel stream...now if they would allow under 65 to be vaccinated 😬
    2018 320S Outback
    I was fortunate. I had an appointment for today. But they had a no-show last week, I
    so I got in a week and a day earlier than planned. 👍
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    @Verna: what are you saying, Indiana isn’t a travel destination?🤷🏻‍♂️
    2018 320S Outback
    @4ncar, we’ll we’ve had the coldest and snowiest winter in about 7 years. But the ski resorts can’t stay in business, no hot springs, and no warm tropical breezes. The best we can offer is our Hoosier Hospitality, and that goes on year round👍
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    @Verna: my little sister was visiting my mom( in the independent living apts) and they had unused vaccines. It was to be thrown out, so she got vaccinated! She’s 52, jumped right to the head of the line being in the right place at the right time! Me...still waiting!
    2018 320S Outback
    @awesome, @4ncar, your sister was lucky. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 449
    Florida still at 65 or older, but Gov says he’s lowering age come first of March.  Must be resident or part time resident.  No waiting here, just go.
    Wife and I won’t be going near it.  Y’all can have our share.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

I am traveling starting in April I just don't qualify and by April, will not have a permanent residence any longer...thats why I've asked the question
    2018 320S Outback
  • rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 484
    @4ncar - where do you hope to be traveling?  If you're coming to Washington, I could offer some locations that do sign-ups just a couple of days before they're available and don't check for residency.  Also you could look here for state-by-state information
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
    @rh5555: thanks for the tips, and by the time I get to the west coast, maybe they will have opened up to the<65 crowd...
    2018 320S Outback
  • TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    GatorEgg said:
    Florida still at 65 or older, but Gov says he’s lowering age come first of March.  Must be resident or part time resident.  No waiting here, just go.
    No waiting? 

Have you tried to get signed up?  We called and got on a list for a call back, no reply.  Then found a web page and registered, again no reply.  Neighbor gave us a phone # and we finally got registered for our first shot 2/9.  Waiting on a call back for our second one for tomorrow.

Trying to arrange for a shot at Publix, Wal-mart, Sams, you have a better chance of hitting the lottery or getting struck by lightning.

And the county/state sites don't schedule your second shot when you schedule your first, like most of the other states do.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • dlbdlb Member Posts: 139
    4ncar said:
    I am traveling starting in April I just don't qualify and by April, will not have a permanent residence any longer...thats why I've asked the question
    Get the one shot J&J vaccine!!!!!
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
    @Tampakayaker: my SO was a teacher. While she was teaching, I tried to get her a shot(here in MD)...I had her signed up everywhere...return call...no, email reply...no. It’s frustrating 
    2018 320S Outback
  • qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    Maybe not everyone's destination location but heard on a Zoom call tonight that Mississippi is allowing both residents and non residents to get the vaccine and apparently it is available.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 449
    edited March 2021
    GatorEgg said:
    No waiting? 

Have you tried to get signed up?  We called and got on a list for a call back, no reply.  Then found a web page and registered, again no reply.  Neighbor gave us a phone # and we finally got registered for our first shot 2/9.  Waiting on a call back for our second one for tomorrow.

Trying to arrange for a shot at Publix, Wal-mart, Sams, you have a better chance of hitting the lottery or getting struck by lightning.

And the county/state sites don't schedule your second shot when you schedule your first, like most of the other states do.
    I walked into Publix on Gunn Hwy this afternoon and was asked if I wanted one.  Not on your life.
    My buddy got called by the VA in Bay Pines and was asked when he could come in for his.
    Our friends had a vaccination bus come through their Pinellas Park neighbor last weekend offering shots.  We were invited there also.
    Both our doctors(different insurance, diff docs)have offered the vaccine.

We have turned down the vaccine offers at least 5 times in past couple weeks.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

qhumberd said:
    Maybe not everyone's destination location but heard on a Zoom call tonight that Mississippi is allowing both residents and non residents to get the vaccine and apparently it is available.
    Isn't there a scenic river there? Asking for a friend!!! 😏
    2018 320S Outback
  • tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 423
    If you are a veteran you may schedule a vaccination at a VA hospital. As you might expect, some are more well managed than others so getting an appointment (it's the VA) may involve some trial and error.
    You will not be able to decide which vaccine you receive. You get what you get so you will need to figure out how you will receive/schedule your second dose.
    Since the Pfizer vaccine has proven to be extremely effective with one dose, you might gamble on a single vaccination but that seems like it would be somewhat foolish and unnecessarily risky.
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    If Texas is your domicile state, even if full-timer, just sign up with your county of residence's public health web site. DW and I both got second Moderna dose a month ago. EZ-PZ.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

4ncar said:
    qhumberd said:
    Isn't there a scenic river there? Asking for a friend!!! 😏
    Actually I should not disparage MS since they have some wonderful places to visit. My favorite is the Natchez Trace Parkway, which has a couple of free campgrounds (currently closed for the pandemic) along the 444 mile route from Natchez to Nashville. Natchez itself is worth a trip and does have a scenic river!

GatorEgg said:
    GatorEgg said:
    No waiting? 

I walked into Publix on Gunn Hwy this afternoon and was asked if I wanted one.  Not on your life.
    My buddy got called by the VA in Bay Pines and was asked when he could come in for his.
    Our friends had a vaccination bus come through their Pinellas Park neighbor last weekend offering shots.  We were invited there also.

We have turned the vaccine offers at least 5 times in past couple weeks.
    Actually good to know that FL has such good availability. Not all states are like that. In TN we are encouraged but not required to get the vaccine however we are starting to see the benefits already and that is encouraging as it means more travel will be opening up! I'll get to head to FL in a few months for a visit with my sister perhaps.

• TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    edited March 2021
    qhumberd said:
    GatorEgg said:
    GatorEgg said:
    No waiting? 

We have turned the vaccine offers at least 5 times in past couple weeks.
    Actually good to know that FL has such good availability. Not all states are like that. In TN we are encouraged but not required to get the vaccine however we are starting to see the benefits already and that is encouraging as it means more travel will be opening up! I'll get to head to FL in a few months for a visit with my sister perhaps.
    I think Gatoregg was extremely lucky.  Publix, etc appointments fill up in minutes.  Possibly they had some leftover vaccine from no shows and wanted to use it before it expired.  We had an extremely hard time trying to sign up.  We were supposed to get our second shot today.  They called me yesterday to schedule and I was at work and my cell was cutting out.  Took me 7 attempts to get the person to take my work phone #.  Told him I was going back inside so he could call me.  As he hung up he said someone else would call me.  Never got a call back, still waiting. 

UPDATE:  After never getting a call back for our second appointment started making calls.  Talked to 3 different agencies and the answer was the same.  You have to wait for a call back for your second shot.  There is no one you can call that will be able to schedule a second dose.

Going thru my emails I found a message in my junk about scheduling for our second shot on line.

Went to do that selected a  link to a date, and get a message no dates available in March?

Click on a different date link and it goes thru! Someone needs to go back to coding school!

So we are now scheduled for Friday.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL