Towing a 2021 T@B400 with Jeep Grand Cherokee with aftermarket tow package.

VinneyVinney Member Posts: 7
 I would like to know if anyone has experience of towing a 400 with a 3.6L Jeep GC that does not have the factory installed tow package. I know that it is pushing the limits and that the factory package is preferable (6200lbs & 620lbs tongue versus 3500lbs and 350lbs tongue) but what are people's real life experiences? Thanks

Comments

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited March 2021
    The Jeep factory tow package includes more than a hitch receiver and wiring harness.  It also includes an oil cooler, a transmission fluid cooler, and a bigger alternator, to deal with the added load being placed,on the GC, or any Jeep.  
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • BlueYonderBlueYonder Member Posts: 19
    For information purposes only. Actual scale results for our 2021 400 Boondock. Total axle with trailer less total axle without trailer = 3440 lbs trailer weight. Trailer weight less trailer axle = 360 lbs tongue weight.  Basic supplies and equipment for 4 days in trailer, one 20 lb. propane tank and chocks, hoses, levelers in tongue box.  No generator or bikes. Most of our camp equipment was in the bed of our truck. Moving this to the trailer would increase the above weights accordingly.
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited March 2021
    Looks like you could only tow a dry TaB400 with the Jeep GC without the factory tow package. A loaded TaB400 puts you overt the 350 lbs tongue weight limit, and total GVW of the loaded TaB is close to the CG’s 3500 lbs limit.  I would not risk this.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.