Options

Scizzor jack for when you can't get dolly wheel off

vitovito Member Posts: 181
In my two days of T@b ownership I already encountered a situation where it was very difficult to get the dolly wheel off after hitching to my TV. The ground was a bit uneven and I eventually got it done but it made me leery of being stuck somewhere in the future. I know that some of you don't use the dolly wheel, but trying to manuver it manually in my driveway area with the wheel was a piece of cake, but very, very hard on my wife and I when we tried to do it without the wheel (by lifting the tongue/jack and moving the trailer at the same time). So I thought that maybe a scizzor jack placed under the tongue, which I could raise high enough to free the dolly wheel, then lower it to the ground before I hitch it to the car would be a good fall-back situation. Does that make sense? If anyone has done this, I'd really like to get some recommendation as to a particular scizzor jack that would work for this purpose. (I keep starting new threads because so many questions are popping into my head in these first few days. Thanks for all the great advice so far.)
2016 T@b S Maxx
2011 Subaru Outback
Rockford, Illinois

Comments

• Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    My simple thinking, get the proper length jack, or shorten yours and your life will be much easier. 
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    What kind of T@b is it - Dutchman or LG? I can't imagine not being able to remove the dolly wheel on an LG once connected to the TV.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Or, get the Jack-E-Up as you can pull the jack way up high and the wheel just falls off. Been in places with uneven ground where it would have been a problem without the Jack-E.
  • Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    I just use the levelling jacks at least he front of the trailer to raise about 1/2". A cordless electric drill with the adapter for the jack works great. 
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    BgkirkBgkirk Member Posts: 66
    I have the Jack E Up also. It works great. Another easy solution is a couple of small 2 x 6 blocks used to drive the tow vehicles (TV) rear tires up onto. This will raise the TV hitch up, usually enough, to remove the wheel. 
    Brian Kirk - 2015 T@Bulous CS-S M@x - Portland Or
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Or, get the Jack-E-Up as you can pull the jack way up high and the wheel just falls off. Been in places with uneven ground where it would have been a problem without the Jack-E.
    You are starting to sell me on the Jack-E-Up. Would you mind posting some photos of it in its various positions and how you had to make adjustments?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    larrygonlarrygon Member Posts: 255
    I am also using the Jack-E-Up.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
    2015 T@B M@X S White with Grey trim | TV 2021 Ascent Touring | Flagstaff AZ.
  • Options
    Hey Jenn - Will take some shots when I tear down on Sunday and post them when I get a good connection - right now the connect is having trouble even doing text.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Hey Jenn - Will take some shots when I tear down on Sunday and post them when I get a good connection - right now the connect is having trouble even doing text.
    Thanks!

• Options
    twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 198
    I've also had some trouble with the clearance of the dolly wheel.  I have since learned I should remove/insert the dolly wheel before disconnecting from the TV, especially on uneven ground.  This year I am using an adjustable hitch ball assembly that gets me to the correct tongue height, which is lower than I had last year, but the T@B rides smoother.
    Beth
    Minnesota
    Practicing to be a wanderer
    2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 8 speed automatic
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual
  • Options
    Adjustable hitch - Probably the same one I have since we bought from the same dealer :-)
    Yep, you can leave the wheel attached if it cranks high enough or drop it. I used to always drop it while traveling. Now with the Jack-E-Up it all just comes out and goes in the TV.
  • Options
    I bought the adjustable from e-Trailer.  It's a Hidden Hitch and I think it's this one.
    http://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Hidden-Hitch/80412.html
    I could not find a local dealer with enough drop for the Jeep Wrangler, so the T@B always rode too high on the tongue.  I would be embarrassed to share how many trips I made to Fleet Farm, O'Reilly's, and Northern Tool. 
    Beth
    Minnesota
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
  • Options
    vitovito Member Posts: 181
    How does the Jack-e-up work? I looked at it on Amazon and had no idea what it does? Anyone have some photos?
    2016 T@b S Maxx
    2011 Subaru Outback
    Rockford, Illinois
  • Options
    PXLated is posting some photos in the next few days
    Beth
    Minnesota
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
  • Options
    That's the one I have also - Got it from our friendly T@B dealer.
  • Options
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    jkjenn said:
    PXLated said:
    You are starting to sell me on the Jack-E-Up. Would you mind posting some photos of it in its various positions and how you had to make adjustments?
    Jenn, keep in mind, the conversion of placing the spare tire on the jack (I think you were going to do that) can't be done if you use the jack-e-up
  • Options
    You can't do the tire mounted to the jack but you can mount it on the side and do the Jack-E
    Hoever, you won't be able to fully open the back hatch with the side mounted tire unless you angle the TV to the left. It does allow you to open it a lot further than with the Jack in place.
  • Options
    Rad said:

Jenn, keep in mind, the conversion of placing the spare tire on the jack (I think you were going to do that) can't be done if you use the jack-e-up
    Thanks, Rad. Yeah, I put the spare tire on the frame, for now. It's easy enough to move to the jack if I don't go with a Jack-E_Up.

• Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    I gather, from watching the video, that you still need to take off the dolly wheel before you can remove the Jack-E-Up.  Is this correct?
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    You do still have to remove the wheel, but you will be able to raise the wheel high enough to do so, then just pull the pin, and the wheel will drop off.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    As an "FYI" I spoke to Scott Hubble about this problem a few months back and was told that the factory would start installing a new jack stand that would eliminate the above problem.   I know there have been many times in the past that I faced the same dilemma (needing a few more inches of height) and had to improvise to get the jockey wheel off the trailer jack.  Hopefully the new trailers are equipped with the newer jack stand and this problem will disappear as time goes on.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    Oh, good to know Mike - I'll let you know IF mine comes in that way (although it's close to being done and delivery next month that I don't know it would be on that one - hope so)!
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    Replacing the jack was the first thing I had to do to my T@b (due to my own stupidity.) It was extremely simple, so if a better jack stand comes out, that should be an easy mod for everyone.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I took the easy way out on my Silver Shadow. I had a friend cut off about 2" from the jack post, drill another hole for the pin, and I have absolutely no problem getting the wheel on and off now. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Verna - Can't cut on mine, the bottom end is a different diameter than the rest. The wheel wouldn't fit if cut.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I think Dan "squeezed" it to make it fit, PXLated. It works fine and easy.  Find a utility trailer company and I'll bet they would cut it for you. Their hourly rate is less than RV places. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    I was wondering if a person could just cut off a couple of inches.
    Beth
    Minnesota
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
  • Options
    Verna - No need, was just commenting that my version wouldn't be just a simple cut and drill - And I have the Jack-E so I never have the problem.
  • Options
    Jenn - Here's the Jack-E-Up photos I said I'd take...Sequence is unhooking...

1: I store the Jack and wheel under the back seat while traveling...

2: So, I unlock the hitch, get the jack/wheel out...you can kind of see that I used spacer washers to raise up the donut as it is a little too small to just rest tightly on the tongue bolts. When you remove the Jack, the donut bolts into the same holes...

3: I insert the Jack shaft and rest the little wings on the donut wings while I attach the wheel...by resting it here, there's more room below to attach the wheel. If you still don't have enough room to get the wheel on you can always raise the Jack shaft higher...

4: Once the wheel is attached, you just rotate the Jack shaft to drop the wings down the donuts spaces, align the bolt heads with the indents in the donut and start cranking. Until you get weight on the wings, everything will feel wobbly but it all tightens up solid...

5: Jack up to unhook, pull TV out of the way and jack to level...

You our can see above how the donut is spaced right above the bolts in the frame.

Hope that helps and is what you were asking for.