Options

Need new tires - current recommendations? T@B400

1968Healey1968Healey Member Posts: 64
edited March 2021 in Products and Accessories
Our 2020 T@B 400 is ready for new tires.  I was thinking about putting LT tires on, but I know the Goodyear Endurance ST's are also well liked.

Anybody have any recommendations?  I have a non-boondocks T@B400 with the standard wheels.  Is there any chance I could increase the ride hight by an inch or two at the same time?
2020 T@B 400
2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Seattle, WA

Comments

• Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 539
    We swapped our original tires on our 2018 400 for Endurance D rated tires and put about 20k on them and they performed great. The added weight capacity, increased speed rating and being made in this country have given me peace of mind.  I just bought another pair for the Tab and another matching alloy wheel.  I had the used Endurance tires mounted and balanced on the spare steel wheel and the alloy for spares.  Based on my experience I would highly recommend the Goodyear’s. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    Second the Endurance.  They are rated up to 65 psi.  I had a hard time locating them last fall.  The Goodyear plant was closed due to COVID.  Finally found a pair online and they had a March 2020 manufactured date.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 922
    edited March 2021
    Why are your tires wearing out so fast?   Single axle, light weight trailers generally only need new tires because of excess age or road hazard damage.  There is nothing that causes any significant tire wear under normal conditions.  We have put  tens of thousands of miles on our T@B and have never seen any significant tire wear.  Possibly your e-brakes are set way too aggressive?

• Options
    @rfuss928  A follow up to the wear question. The original tires I removed at 6k looked like new just wanted better tires. The Endurance at 20k have more than 50% wear left. I wanted my spare to match my road tires and I am planning another 10k trip as soon as COVID settles down. 
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 922
    DenisP
    I understand wanting new tires for all the reasons you mention.  I got the impression from the OP and other threads that folks are wearing out tires and need new tires on T@Bs only a year or two old.  This is sort of unheard of on these and similar small trailers.  
    Just curious what has changed.
    Have fun and travel safe!
    Bob

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I had a tire blow on my 2019 400 back in late December.  The trailer was built in August 2018.  I attribute the blowout to age, normal wear and tear and the added weight of the 400 unit. Trailer tires in general are good for 2-3 years and with UV damage and the rigors of travel you are rolling the dice if you try to keep them on longer.  I look at trailer tires as the heart of the unit, that and batteries.  I’m certainly not an authority but believe that heating of the sidewalls, tread wear and the effects of UV exposure impact tires over the course of time and your chances of s catastrophic failure and subsequent blowout increase therein.  UV in the atmosphere attacks rubber constantly and this is something that we don’t see and that many are unfamiliar with.  We did studies at the power company and it wreaked havoc on lineman rubber gloves, hoses, rubber protective blankets, etc.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    1968Healey1968Healey Member Posts: 64
    Yup, you said it well Mike.  Our tires aren’t worn out, but they’re going on year 3 and I just don’t trust them.  We put almost 10k miles on them so I’m happy to move on.

Looks like Endurance tires are the way to go.

Any guides on getting both tires off at once?  Our T@B is parked in a super tight spot in the middle of Seattle so I’d rather just bring the tires to Les Schwab instead of towing the trailer over there.  Can I jack and put the axle on stands or some other way?

2020 T@B 400
    2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    dlbdlb Member Posts: 141
    I have done the jack stand routine for getting tires swapped on boat trailers.  Since my trailer was a dual axle, I did one side at a time.  Thus, Saturday was a multi run to the tire place, once in the morning to drop off quick midday double run and the final pick up.  Way easier then the drop off as I could get the rest of the boat ready for the season.
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    Yep, Goodyear’s.  After having a “China bomb” explode on I95 and take out the wheel well and cabinet inside over the well, Goodyear’s only.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Our Goodyear Marathon trailer  tires were made in China. Printed right on the side wall.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    GY Marathon tires were discontinued and replaced by Endurance tires which are manufactured in the US.
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    20,000 + miles on the marathon tires in the last five years. Still showing no serious wear, but the years are getting up there. Probably replace them with Endurance in another year or two. Especially if I plan any extended trip away from home.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun