Options

Will 2 way 320 fridge retro into 2019 320 T@B

Sure would like to have the 2 way 12 volt to replace my 3 way absorption as I travel in high heat areas. Anyone tried to install a 2 way in a 320? Art
2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge

Comments

• Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 584
    I too would love to swap my 3 way with a 2 way. I emailed Austen at nuCamp to ask if the 2 way from the 2021 models would fit and he said the dimensions aren't even close and would require quite a bit of modification. 

Maybe someone has found one that fits...
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,486
    I think that is why a member installed a 2 way top loader on a pullout drawer - the regular 2 way frigs just don’t fit.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    B0atguyB0atguy Member Posts: 181
    edited March 2021
    12v DC top loader DC install ..........

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/87839
    2023 Ford F150 Sport 3.5 Ecoboost 
    2024 NuCamp T@B 400 BD,  Grey / White 
    2016 Ford Transit 350 XLT - Adventure / Travel Van / 320s interior !
    2019 NuCamp T@B 320s Grey / Black - SOLD 

• Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    I was looking at some utube small trailers and saw a small drawer type 12 volt one. Wish I could find it again! Art
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,499
    gulfarea said:
    I was looking at some utube small trailers and saw a small drawer type 12 volt one. Wish I could find it again! Art
    Both Dometic and Isotherm make drawer-style fridges.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    We've been using a 12v fridge in the car, in addition to the 3 way.   I've about decided to use the 3 way as a cooler when it goes belly up,  it seems to hold ice bottles for quite a long time and seems better insulated than most coolers.  We've been keeping important to refrigerate items in the 12v and moving them to the camper when needed for that days meals.  

Most of our trips are 1 week or less, so I figure by the time the ice bottles thaw, the remaining food will fit in the 50 qt. 12v.  The Massimo from Costco has been working great.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited March 2021
    I have had my ARB 50 qt. fridge/freezer for going on 9 years. I love it. While I have to watch where I put fresh veggies, it is  marvelous invention. I keep it on the floor of my rear seat of the F-150, and it will keep meat frozen or it will keep yogurt at just the correct cold temp. 

I always said that if my 3-way fridge went out on the 2014 T@B S Max went out, I would figure out how to put the ARB inside. I haven’t had to do that. But, with the 5 year warranty on the compressor on the ARB, I felt I couldn’t go wrong with it. 

I loved the 2-way fridge on my 400, and I’ll bet I’ll love the 2-way in the 2021 T@B 320. If not, I’ll have my backup ARB. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 584
    @Verna I thought it was a 2 way in the 2021 320?
    Thank you and @db_cooper. I'm headed in the same direction w/a separate 12v but sure hate to add more gear. I already have been using a Yeti cooler for the critical cold food on travel days but would really like a freezer section to keep food frozen longer and re-freeze water bottles for the fridge.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @dsfdogs, yes, it is a 2-way in the 2021, but I was referring to the 2014 T@B S Max I had before. I did correct the message above to be the two-way in the 2021. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    RonRon Member Posts: 137
    I have been thinking about giving the Isotherm Cruise 65 Elegance 12/120 volt a try.  The bottom is angled on the back side to match a sailboat hull which should allow it to side in far enough.  A part on the cooktop hangs pretty low which is probably the closest for making the Isotherm fit in.  The sides will need some filler strips because the Isotherm does not have all the propane equipment on the side which makes it narrower.  Has anyone else tried this yet?  If it does work, perhaps NuCamp could offer a kit with the refer and trim pieces to replace failing Norcolds.  It is not a slide out, slide in replacement though.
    2016 T@B MaxS, 2018 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, Rural Scottsdale, Az.
  • Options
    I am with you Ron and would to do that mod also! Art
  • Options
    bspiglejrbspiglejr Member Posts: 8
    I'm really interested in this as well.  Just use our 3-way fridge in our 2016 T@b 320 S Boondock for extra storage now since it performs so poorly.  What is the Isotherm model they are putting in the 2021 T@b 320?
  • Options
    Isotherm Cruise 65
  • Options
    I ordered the Isotherm 65.  Defender Industries "marine online company" had two. I got the next to the last one.  I will post my progress, if I actually have progress and did not buy a refer for the shop.
  • Options
    Ron I will be watching your progress and wish you the best as I want to do that mod! Art
  • Options
    edited April 2021
       I have 95% completed the removal of the Norcold and replaced it with an Isotherm Cruise Elegance 65 AC/DC.  The new refer came with a trim ring to secure it.  I had to make a vertical style for the left side, which will leave a small storage area on the left side of the cabinet.  I also added two 1" tall runners for the new refer to sit higher on and allow airflow under the bottom to aid in air circulation.  This is on 2016 T@B S.
       Things left to do are to get a trim grill for the top open space "Nucamp?", and to make a door similar to the under refer door for the small storage area on the left.
       Yes it does fit!  Very tight squeeze to get it through the door and pushed into place past the screen door.  It has a small fan that runs when the refer is working, but it is not loud at all.  I left the wall exhaust fan installed for hot days and plugged the propane exhaust and intake holes with spray foam.  If someone wanted to, it would be possible to reinstall the Norcold if they wanted to go back to it.
  • Options
    Oh I see lots of frig mods in the future!  Nice job @Ron!
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Edited for photo size.  Moderator

• Options
    @Ron Great work! Thanks so much for the photos. Art
  • Options
    bspiglejrbspiglejr Member Posts: 8
    So my info is much less interesting now that Rod has done a install and given us the great pictures, but I contacted NuCamp about doing an installation.  Bottom line was that they have not done it before and coudn't give a lot of advice.  They said they would the Isotherm Elegance 65 (I.E. the same Fridge Rod used) and would probably charge about $1300 labor which does not include purchase of the fridge itself.  They also said it would probably be a day job.
  • Options
    It could easily be done in a day by someone who know what they are doing, has the materials at hand, and has all the appropriated tools available.  I  pretty much fail on all these points.  They are very busy right now as demand is very high, hence the $1300 estimate.  That's how the trades work.  Isotherm Cruise Elegance 65 AC/DC Silver and the other materials used totaled about $1250. I bought the refer from Defender Industries online.  They were out of black, cheaper, and only had two Silver one's left.
    If NuCamp were to sell a retrofit kit with refer, wood door, and wood trim it would be great for older T@B owners needing/wanting to retrofit.  Orders are high and labor is in short supply right now, so I would not advise holding your breath.  I'll report back later this summer if this install was a good idea or not.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,354
    just saw Ron's Isotherm installation. With a little work, it is an almost perfect fit.  High quality unit that includes a small freezer section.  VERY quiet while running.  This is definitely an option for those needing to replace their Norcold.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    And Ron answered the big question, will it fit? Thanks Ron!
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,274
    Would it be possible to find an efficient 120V fridge that fits and use a dedicated inverter to run it on 12V? If so, there would be a lot more cost effective options.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    edited May 2021
    @Ron The door on the 320 seems narrow compare to the size of the fridge, was it difficult getting the old fridge out the front door?
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    It just fit through.  The Isotherm was very tight fit with the screen door in place.  With a bit of angle turning it slipped by.  Would be best to have a helper. I did it by myself.  The Isotherm is deeper.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,354
    The screen door can be removed as follows: remove the two plastic end caps at the top of the door.  Remove each screw holding the end pieces to the trailer wall.  Locate the two screws holding the bottom aluminum sill to the floor (use a flat head screwdriver to locate them under the fuzzy weatherstripping).  Lift the door up and out. No side screws need to be removed. You’ll see why with the door removed.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited May 2021
    @AnOldUR plugging a 120VAC fridge into an inverter large enough to run the AC load, would take about 2-3X the DC power to run, compared to the more efficient 12VDC compressor fridge.  The 1200 Watt inverter uses DC battery power the minute its turned in, even without a load, and it will eat more amps of DC power than the Isotherm Compressor DC fridge.  Converting 12VDC to 120VAC to run an appliance you can run directly on DC is going backwards mate.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,274
    Denny16 said:
    @AnOldUR plugging a 120VAC fridge into an inverter large enough to run the AC load, would take about 2-3X the DC power to run, compared to the more efficient 12VDC compressor fridge.
    Thanks Denny. I figured there must be a reason people didn’t go that route.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler