Options

questions: transporting fresh water

It's the shoulder season and I still need to bring my own water to the campsite. 
Question: is there any difference between transporting the water in a canteen in the TV vs. in the trailer in the freshwater tank and Alde reservoir?
Is it better to just fill the freshwater tank only and then only pump it into the Alde reservoir after I arrive at the campsite?
If I'm only going a short distance and my trailer is light (no air conditioner, no television or microwave) is it OK to transport water in the trailer?
Am I worrying about nothing??? 
2014 T@B 320 S "Sunny" - 2015 Toyota Sienna LE - British Columbia, Canada

Comments

• Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Assuming tank is clean, transpoting in the tank does two things. Makes water readily available for cooking and bath as well as drinking (using a Brita or other device recommended).

Second, depending on your towing configuration it may help offset some tongue weight (don't know which T@B you have).

You don't have to top off the tank. Try 50% or so and see how that effects your towing and use requirements. 

2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Actually I recommend empty or full, less fluid slosh that way. While a tab doesn't hold thousands of pounds of water weight, you might still feel the waves on a partially filled tank.

If your tow vehicle is ok, then it shouldn't be an issue, maybe slightly reduced fuel mileage, but probably not even noticeable.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,027
    I always fill my trailer tank with water before a trip.  And drain any left over when it's time to go home. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Always always travel with full tank(320s). I also carry an additional 12 gallons on the front rack.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    I think this falls into the “Little Bit Pregnant” scenario. I always try to travel with empty tanks to save weight.  However, if water is unavailable at my destination, then I completely fill the fresh tank and two 5 gallon Jerry cans on the Outback front rack. I really hate doing this because of the added weight.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    Thanks everyone! Water will soon be available at my favourite off season campsites. So I'll be loading up and heading off this afternoon. First trip with running hot water! Mainly just for dishes though...
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    And to specifically answer your second question, I would completely fill the Alde (and all plumbing lines) with fresh water before leaving home. If you wait to do that in camp you will use several gallons from your tank, will need to run your pump for quite a while to get everything full and primed, and may start filling your gray tank prematurely as you try to get all the air out of the system.

Unless I know I will have a city water hookup at my site, I always fill and prime everything before hitting the road. It does add some weight to the trailer, but in general I think the benefit of arriving at camp ready to go is worth it.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Mellow_YellowMellow_Yellow Member Posts: 332
    Thanks everyone! I had a lovely trip and greatly enjoyed hot running water for the first time ever in my T@B! Everything worked like a charm and I continue to be impressed by the Alde, which provided near 'on demand' hot water, even during the quick shower I took. The 5 gallon fresh water tank (in my 2014 model) is definitely a limiting factor but I'm getting a 'safety siphon' I saw @Tabaz recommend on another thread so I can easily refill it often. I will almost never have city water connections, so this is an ideal setup.