Options

Yakima rack for 320 Boondock - Yea or Nay?

CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
edited March 2021 in Products and Accessories
Our much anticipated T@B 320 BD will arrive at the dealer this week. We've learned that it will have the alternate toilet installed but that it will not arrive with the Yakima rack. We have the option of having the rack retrofit by the dealer when the factory ships it, or forgoing it altogether and taking a credit of $300.
My first instinct is to get the rack since storage on the 320 is in relative short supply and having more has to be a good thing. On reflection however, the location of the rack and the angle of its mount make it not as useful as it might be, so not having it is not a big deal and saves a few bucks.
What does the greater T@B community think: Get the rack (eventually) or don't bother (it's not particularly useful)?
2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country

Comments

• Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,298
    @CharlieRN ... Below is a link to the parts required for the Yakima rack. The parts alone are close to a grand. Then there's the labor. That $300 credit is crazy! If nothing else, the rack will get the spare tire off the standard low clearance mount below your trailer.

Looking forward to hearing your impression of the T@B. Good luck!

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    One consideration is resale - a future purchaser will wonder why there is no Yakima rack on your BD.  The $300 credit is absurd for what you'd be giving up.  I love my rack.  It's a great location for the spare tire and other light objects.  By putting a 6' piece of 1/2" EMT conduit in the lower cross member, you gain a telescoping towel/cloths rack for drying.  Finally, it just looks cool.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,688
    Google isn't doing a good job on "image' search returns lately.  There are tons of photos of owners who put the rack to very good use, from installing solar panels, bikes, sewer hoses holders, various cargo carriers, chairs, etc.  So, here are a bunch of threads, and inside there will be lots of examples.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    edited March 2021
    A resounding YAY!!!!  I use mine to carry two bikes, a trenching tool & my Blueboy, not to mention the spare.  My advice is that if you do use it for bikes, beside to add tongue weight, you'll need it, otherwise the trailer will tend to get squirrelly with the lighted tongue.  Also...I'm 5'8(1/2 ☺️)...I have a folding steps tool to assist in getting the bikes off...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Thanks to all for the comments. Did not think about the rack in terms or resale. Also didn't realize it's value was so much more than the offered credit.
    Think I'm going to opt for the retrofit, which hopefully won't require the same 7-plus month wait as for the T@B.
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,298
    I’d try taking the dealer retrofit option, but get a credit with the dealer (Miller?) for an installation at a later date or, if you decide you don’t want it, you could transfer to someone else for much more than the $300 nuCamp is offering.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    GeorgiaMBGeorgiaMB Member Posts: 33
    My dealer said sorry - no rack. But you can pay us $300 later to install. I will check again with them before we pick it up. 
    2021 T@B Boondock 320S | 2021 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 
  • Options
    BaileyBailey Member Posts: 37
    Yey! Congrats on your new camper. I waited 3 1/2 months for delivery, and was told at pick up time that there was no rack. I had researched this rack on this forum before ordering trailer.  I decided on no rack, for same amount of refund. I didn't want tire or bikes in the very back end of trailer.  Bikes are locked up, packed in TV. I also did not want anything (owners put a variety of stuff on it, clothesline, tires, umbrellas, camp chairs, grills) on that rack that would be stolen while grocery shopping/errands on our way to a camp trip. Never thought of just asking for the rack uninstalled in order to resell but we are both working more than FT and likely wouldn't have chosen that avenue.
    2024 Tab 400 Boondock, Oregon
  • Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 382
    CharlieRN said:
    Our much anticipated T@B 320 BD will arrive at the dealer this week. We've learned that it will have the alternate toilet installed but that it will not arrive with the Yakima rack. We have the option of having the rack retrofit by the dealer when the factory ships it, or forgoing it altogether and taking a credit of $300.

Hi,  What is meant by the alternate toilet?  We placed an order in Jan. and it's due in late May/June.  Thank you
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    @Yoshi_TAB - If you look at the photo of the bathroom on the T@B website, you'll see the standard Thetford toilet which runs across the back wall of the bath area. Apparently nuCamp is having difficulty getting that model and is substituting one that is a bit different; slightly more rounded and with a small space between it and the interior bath wall.
    My understanding is that there is no functional difference between the two - both use the same waste cassette and work similarly. I don't know how extensive the supply problem is, so there is a chance that nuCamp will install the "standard" toilet again by the time your T@B is delivered. If you contact your dealer, I'm sure they can tell you which one yours will have.
    Someone posted photos here on the site but my quick search didn't locate them. I'm sure you could find them if you were more patient and thorough than I.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,514
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    To continue on with topic of the cassette toilet, we picked up our 320 S BD yesterday and it had the standard toilet installed. The folks at the dealership said that they believe that only the CS model is shipping with the alternate toilet.
  • Options
    LonesomeRoadLonesomeRoad Member Posts: 86
    I got pictures of our new 320 S BD from the factory earlier this week and it had the racks on it.
    2021 400 BD
    2018 Ford F150 
  • Options
    @CharlieRN. Thank you so much for posting this question. I was originally told I had to pay an additional $300 to get the roof rack installed… And did not mention a refund.  I clipped a portion of your post and showed it to my dealer, and they are like, of course we can remove $300 from the price 🙄 I would not have known to ask if not for your post. 
  • Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 382
    edited March 2021
    CharlieRN said:
     The folks at the dealership said that they believe that only the CS model is shipping with the alternate toilet.
    Hi.   Our dealer told me the same thing this week.  He also said the Yakima racks are now available.  Our TAB is due in the June/July timeframe.
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    @GeorgiaMB - glad that things worked out well for you and happy to have helped. Best of luck with the new T@B. 
  • Options
    Yoshi_TAB said:
     Our dealer . . .  also said the Yakima racks are now available. 
    Our dealer said that they expect that nuCamp will ship the racks for our T@B next month. I'm a bit apprehensive about our T@B being a guinea pig for the rack retrofit as installation requires locating the aluminum roof ribs and drilling mounting holes pretty precisely. I guess that I just need to take the words of a very controversial 76ers general manager to heart and "trust the process."
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 507
    My 2019 320 came with the rack on it. Sure makes it harder to wash with it on. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    @gulfarea Haven’t thought about the washing part… It just looks kind of plain without it. I’m going to wait and see how the install goes for @CharlieRN !  Let me know your outcome!