Options

Alde settings on my 2018 320 clamshell

Marktab320cssMarktab320css Member Posts: 22
I would really like to know the settings on the Alde 3020, particularly, which electrical setting I should be using, 1kw or 2kw. When and why? Also, can anyone give me some real world knowledge on the glycol fluid? I bought my trailer used, had it 1 year and I should probably have it serviced. Any thoughts? I think the system is a good idea in theory. It's a bit touchy, the manual is almost useless and the explanation I got from Alde for red overheat failure didn't do anything to solve the problem. I found a post on this a while back and just disconnecting the power for a moment solved it. I'm assuming that since it can only be serviced by a dealer, I'll be paying top dollar, just because there's no other option. Anything else I should know about the Alde system, before it happens. If you have any words of wisdom, I could use some.
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 door and a 2018 Tab 320 clamshell.

Comments

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    @Marktab320css: 1kw if you are plugged into a 15amp shore power circuit, 2kw if 20amp or higher(30amp). 
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,500
    Congratulations on your new to you Tab! I have a 2017 320S, so the glycol tank is in a different location. I think yours is under a cabinet in the kitchen area, but I could be wrong. The tank has two marker lines, low and full, and using a permanent marker so you can actually see the lines is a good idea. You can buy a gallon of glycol off Amazon, 

Century Chemical TF-1 Heat Transfer Fluid Green, 50% Glycol / 50% Water ( -20 Below )

It doesn't take much, but it lasts. You want to check your glycol level off and on so it doesn't run dry. 

As for the Alde for heat I LOVE it! I have the 3010, I think the same as yours with a digital menu. It is radiant heat, so it takes a long time to heat your Tab but once it's warm in there it's great! I use 1 lightning bolt and have been fine. If it's going to cool off at night I close up windows to the locked vent open position in the late afternoon while it's still warm out, holding heat in. I also carry a small ceramic heater if I want a head start on heat. I usually crank the thermostat to 80', then turn it down when I'm comfortable until I hear the Alde stop. It's a very quiet bubbling noise. Keep asking questions, and have great journeys!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    The topic of servicing the Alde (particularly changing the glycol) has been discussed at great length in multiple threads such as this detailed tome.

Many owners have performed their own service using a variety of creative methods. It does take confidence and some basic skills, but the same could be said about servicing just about anything.

So, there are options. However, if DIY is not viable for you are probably correct that you will drop a lot of coin to get the work done, if you can even find a competent place to do it. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Marktab320cssMarktab320css Member Posts: 22
    I just read the posts you recommended. I’m doing my own this weekend. When I talked with the Alde tech, he made it sound like it was a tough job that required specific equipment. Maybe Alde is trying to supplement sales with speciality tools that are unnecessary. My glycol tank is forward and a pain to get to much less see the marks. NuCamp could have installed the tank in a user friendly position. Thank you for your advice. 
    2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 door and a 2018 Tab 320 clamshell.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    edited March 2021
    You're welcome, @Marktab320css --glad all that discussion and debate could be of use.  :-)

As you probably figured out, many owners just take the simplest approach of draining what they can and refilling. While this may not get all the glycol out, the idea is that is done regularly it will maintain the needed degree of  corrosion protection.
    2015 T@B S