Options

Running external LED strip via 12V to inside of camper

I have a 2015 320 S and would like to attach an LED strip to the outside of my camper, along the keder rail, but run the 12V wire to the inside of the camper via the front cover near the handle area then run that wire to the front panel of my fridge and add a switch.  Sort of like the fridge fan installation - put a hole and place the switch.  Before I break something, has anyone ever removed their front cover near the handle and what's on the other side? I checked out Cyclone's install, but they did it in back.  I want my controls in front.  

2014 Little Guy T@B S Max

Comments

• Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    Could you run the wire thru that fridge vent?  To make it look neater use a piece of wire mold from the rail to the vent.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited March 2021
    If you do not have one, add a solar SAE connector wired to your battery and run the lights from it.  Simple, clean, and removable water proof connection.  As your battery is in the tub, the SAE connector could be installed on the passenger side of the tub.  This gives you an adoption for connection external solar panels too.   B)
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    Denny16 said:
    If you do not have one, add a solar SAE connector wired to your battery and run the lights from it.  Simple, clean, and removable water proof connection.  As your battery is in the tub, the SAE connector could be installed on the passenger side of the tub.  This gives you an adoption for connection external solar panels too.   B)
    cheers
    Funny you should mention this. I just had an a-ha moment a couple of weeks ago and realized that I could do this with the SAE port I installed for my solar panel. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    KarenKKarenK Member Posts: 50
    When I wrote this, I hadn't considered exactly where the 12V would come from.  My mind thinks in pieces.  Last night I thought I could perhaps tap into the 12V switch for the kitchen led strip.  That would mean getting in the wall and up to the switch which is located on the inside passenger side, above the stove. 

I don't have an SAE and have connected my solar controller inside by the battery monitor.  I was hoping that there would be a way into the inside wall somehow ??  Hopefully by removing that blue cover, but I suspect that won't work. 

I thought about running the cable through the fridge vent, but just don't think it would look good.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    @KarenK it is easy to drill a small hole in the Tub and mount a SAE plug, they come with the wires to connect to the battery to use asan auxiliary 12-VDC power plug.  If connecting directly to battery, add an inline fuse.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    GeoGeo Member Posts: 160
    @KarenK,  I installed an LED strip under the keder rail exactly as you are hoping to do.  Removed the trim (your blue cover) behind the handle and drilled a small hole to pass the wire through, then caulked it to seal it up.  No big deal to drill holes through the walls as long as they are sealed up with a good quality flexible caulk.
    Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
  • Options
    Hi Geo,  Thank you for the information - do you have any pictures?
  • Options
    GeoGeo Member Posts: 160
    @KarenK,  No I do not have a picture.  Once you remove the trim piece it's just flat wall behind it.  Any sealing should be done on that exterior wall, the trim is just decorative and needs no sealing. 
    Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
  • Options
    Thanks Geo.  I'm no electrician, so want to run this by you all.  I have decided to attach my LED strip via the back, like Cyclone did, because when the front door is open, I will not have easy access to the remote control sensor.  Hence, the current plan is to run the 12V wire through the back of the camper and attach with a t-tap connector to the bed lamp wire - hence, I was wondering, will that work?  Or will it compromise my bed lamp? I imagine flickering and issues when I turn on/off one or the other.  Feel free to let me know if my idea doesn't make any sense.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,670
    On the subject of using the SAE port as a power port:  I put together this "SAE to Cigarette Lighter Socket" last summer while doing the TV antenna test. You can use the 12V plug just like the 12V plugs inside the camper:  for the plug in phone chargers, or small inverters, etc.  I have a small 12V battery monitor in use in the photo.  (One of these cables would be an excellent way to monitor a battery...just turn off the battery disconnect and plug the monitor in.)  Tons of these on Amazon, but look at them carefully to make sure the wiring is correct, or be prepared to use an adapter.  Or, just make your own.  Very, very easy.  The SAE port is one of the sadly underused parts of the camper.  On my cable, note the red wire from the 12V plug travels to the "inside the plastic" part of the SAE cable.  You do not want the positive charge to go to the "big metal part" of the SAE cable.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    SAE to cigarette lighter outlet
    SAE to USB

There are are string lights with either cigarette lighter plugs or USB plugs, too.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I have added my LED lights and brought the 6V cable into the rear of the camper.  I would like to tap the cable preferably to the rear reading lamp or, if it's not doable, the Monodetector wires.  I have two questions.  1) Can I tap into the monodetector wires?  2) I tried fishing down the curved ceiling through the hole from the rear reading lamp wires and couldn't push my wire down towards the back.  Is there no air space between the ceiling and the roof?  I have a picture. I want to poke through the hole with the blue/white cables and go down to the back (rightwards). ??