Options

Inverter that will run Microwave

I tried running the microwave in the Tab400 with the Aims 1200 factory install inverter, but it would not work. I think the microwave is only about 900 watts, but it is the startup that is giving it trouble. Does anyone know of a different inverter that could start up the microwave?
Also kinda of related, if not, has anyone removed their microwave and converted the space to a cabinet?

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    edited March 2021
    No, a AIMS 1200 watt,inverter will not run a microwave.  For starters, the power drain of a microwave when starting up is not 900 watts, more like twice that.  I tried a small 700-watt microwave, a d it only ran for 20 seconds and stopped.  The 900-watt cooking power rating requires more than 900 watt ,of AC power to run, more like 1800 watts, depending on the microwave design.  

You need a full (not surge rated) 2,000 to 2,500 watt inverter to run that microwave.  An inverter does not run at 100% of its rated capacity, more like 80%, so 1200 watt inverter is only good for about 900 watt continuous load, which is why yiur 900-watt microwave will not run on it.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    Word of caution. I have a 2000W/4000W inverter and a 700W microwave.  The power loss using the inverter is very noticeable.  A 4 minute meal on shore power takes almost twice as long using the inverter.  I've just about given up using it when boondocking.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    Yes, that is the other issue, and battery drain.  Microwaves just do not like running on small inverters, it seems.  Looks like a 3000 watt inverter may do the trick, but this requires 300 amps of battery to run efficiently.  Every 1000 watts of inverter takes 100 amps of battery to support it.  If you are running a 2000 watt inverter on a 100 amp battery, it is not going to get the current flow it needs.
    cheers
  • Options
    Denny - I have over 240AH via two 6 Volt batteries.  So your analysis seems to bear out my experience.
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited March 2021
    @agilityvision Another word of caution. I don't have a microwave, but run the air conditioner and other hefty loads (375Ah of battery), and can recommend you choose your 1500-3000W inverter carefully. I've wasted $$ going through a few.

Most list a surge or peak power double the alleged pure sign continuous rating. But these things are only 85-92% efficient, and as @Denny16 said, mainly seem safe, without frying, at 80% of their advertised power. Buying a 3000W or higher inverter not only costs money, takes more space, and requires a bigger bank, but generates far more waste heat. But buying too small or just barely adequate, without a good surge capacity, can be wearing on your appliances. So there is a right size, a Goldilocks zone, for your needs. And not all surge capabilities are created equal. Once you get the specification or installation manual for an inverter, some will state the inverter can handle peak power for 1.00 seconds  :) while others specify the surge will be provided for up to 0.05 :s seconds. The latter is not enough for an air conditioner or microwave if you've chosen to purchase on the low side of the 1500-3000W spectrum.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
     The Inverters most often used by VanLife people are Renogy 2,000 Victron, AIMS 3,000 watt unit and the more expensive Xantrex Freedom Inverter.
    cheers
  • Options
    agilityvisionagilityvision Member Posts: 7
    All great info, I'll give up on trying to get the microwave to work. I wonder if nucamp sells replacement cabinet doors to reclaim that space and remove the microwave?
  • Options
    I'm sure the microwave works great on shore power.  If you only do boondocking, then getting rid of the microwave makes perfect sense.
  • Options
    @agilityvision. You could contact customer service at nüCamp and see if they will fo that.  If so, then you can order the replacement door through your dealer.
    cheers