Options

Greetings from Escondido, CA!

ShunyunShunyun Member Posts: 10
Hi folks! My name is Sean and my wife is Cindy.  We're eagerly awaiting our new T@B 320-S Boondock in the next few days.  Pretty phenomenal story how this has happened: We've been looking at campers for months... hold on, lemme backup...

In 2016 we sold our house and went on the road fulltime in a 2008 Numar Kountry Star.  That lasted for 2 years then we bought our home in Escondido.  After that I said "never again"... every time Cindy talked about a camper I cringed and said "nope."

Ok, so looking at campers... Cindy looking, me cringing.  We'd look at the boxes on wheels out there and I just knew there's no way I'm gonna spend that kind of cash on that kind of junk.

True story.  We went to a dealer in San Marcos to look at a mini Winnie and they said "go to Costco, we've got what you want over there". So we go to Costco and walk around looking at these trailers.  Anyway, we walk into one that has has a poor reputation for quality and Cindy's impressed with the layout but I'm looking at the materials and craftsmanship (or the lack thereof...).  Poor sales guy asks "whaddaya think?"  I say "I wouldn't buy it, lousy quality."  He says "Like, what do you mean?"  And Cindy says, while pointing to a SCREW LYING ON THE FLOOR "uh, like that screw on the floor?"  Poor guy, I really felt bad for him, especially when I laughed so hard...

So anyway, not spending my hard earned money on junk.  We start looking at teardrops and I'm discovering that used teardrops are getting snatched up as soon as they're advertised and new are backordered, a year in some cases.  And then a couple of Saturday's ago I call Little Guy Trailers down in San Diego and they say "yeah, we've got some."  I say "you've got some models I can walk through? What's your backorder time?"  He says "I mean, we've got some on the lot for sale, right now."  I say "I'll be right there!"

So we go down and look at them all.  They had Little Guy's, Luna's, and of course nuCamp's.  Honestly, I was prepared to get into something pretty tiny and was expecting the worse as quality goes.  And I was honestly blown away by the nuCamp's.  To be honest, I wanted the big Luna (that huge front window!) but the T@B 320 was like Goldilock's perfect bed. 

That was a week ago.  Waiting on financing to finalize.  Watching every YouTube vid ( at this point I suspect I might recognize some of you on sight...) and dreaming.  We've been there before, so I know what I'm getting into and preparing.  But can't wait to get out there.  Also look forward to meeting you all!

The other night I was lying there in my bed, looking up at the stars, and thought "Hey, wait a sec, where the heck's the ceiling!?!"

Comments

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @Shunyun, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your (impending) trailer! Best decision we ever made was our t@b. I hope you'll feel the same. Meanwhile, enjoy the a n t i c i p a t i o n. When you get your rig, post up some pics (like proud parents). We love pics. Pictures or it didn't happen. Happy t@bbing!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    @Shunyun Welcome and it is nice to be pleasantly surprised by a product and company when so many do not seem to care about quality. We love our 400 and plan many years of travels. You will get a lot of help and support here as well, during your "learning curve" Best of luck

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited May 2021
    Welcome aboard and congratulations Sean in Escondido!  B)
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    fischertechfischertech Member Posts: 4
    Welcome,  I'm probably the nearest TAB owner to you south of you in Rancho Penasquitos near black mountain.
    Just got back from the north rim Grand Canyon pulling the 2018 320S on dirt/gravel/ruts/washboards roads. Just need patients and can pull it most anywhere. Ended up at a very remote location on the rim with view into canyon of the Colorado river. 
    I'm sure you will plenty of fun adventures with your new T@B
  • Options
    cafyrmancafyrman Member Posts: 25
    We can debate the closest bit, since I'm in Poway. ;)

We have a 400 we bought from Little Guy in late 2018.

Oh, and also a Fisher...but with no C.
    2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    I may be closer still...Lake San Marcos.  ;)

Congrats on your new rig. I hope it's part of many, many adventures!

Purchased mine rig from same dealer in Dec 2019. Good folks in my experience. The quality of materials and workmanship blew the Luna and Little Guy's out of the water in my opinion. 

Jeez...maybe we should have a mini, North County Round up! 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop