Options

V6 GMC Canyon, NOT diesel

PymburPymbur Member Posts: 6
Hi everyone! 
I’m new, but I have been browsing the forum without a login for a bit before joining. I’ve attempted to use the search bar for this question, but not having any luck. If I’ve simply missed something, feel free to link me. 

I’m wondering if anyone has any thoughts, or experience, towing a t@b 400 BD with the typical gas Canyon (or Colorado)? 

I’m looking to purchase a 2021 400 BD. Everything I’ve found in this forum focuses on the diesel Canyon/Colorado. I have the 2018 crew cab and the All Terrain package so I know that my vehicle can do it, I’m wondering how comfortable it will be doing it? A big part of justifying the hefty price tag is that I think this will be a much more comfortable tow than a standard TT (18’ or 20’). 
Part of why I’m so concerned about this is because the 320 and that tow experience is what initially attracted me to NuCamp, but it’s been decided that model just won’t work for my partner (or my German Shepherd). 

Thanks! 

Comments

• Options
    danny_teardropdanny_teardrop Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2021
    I'm also interested in that combination of T@B and TV.  Does anyone have any issues with the transmission (shudder/slipping) on the Canyon/Colorado?  Mea culpa to the OP for this segue.
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I can't speak to the vehicle configuration, but curious why you think a 400 will be a more comfortable tow than any other trailer of similar length?
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    xdrxdr Member Posts: 261
    I find the 400 to tow heavier than it actually is. Any amount of wind is readily noticeable due to the blunt nose profile. Our TV is a 1/2 ton truck with 395 HP and 400+ftlbs of torque so the trailer never bogs it down even on steep mountain passes, but the mpg varies greatly. At highway speeds, I notice mpgs from 12+ to 9 if its windy at all. 
    So, I would take that into account on your power train choice. 
    2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    @Pymbur ;  Welcome to the Forum and hopefully T@B Family.

You are correct that on-paper the V6 GM Twins can handle a T@B 400.
    How enjoyable the experience will really be depends on your planned camping usage.  For a few long weekends and say one multi-week vacation one can live with less than ideal towing conditions.  While if you're planning full timing or several multi-week trips with lots of crossing North America then a more powerful tow vehicle would be far more comfortable.

I tow the T@B 320S with a V6 4x4 Colorado and it is very good TV -to- trailer size match and I would not tow a T@B 400 with the V6 as 60% of my Colorado miles have been towing the T@B. Plus I'm in the western states so mountains and long sections of open highway are a regular part of my traveling.

Now why I would not tow a T@B 400:
      a)  I like a quiet cab. 320S rarely causes engine RPM above 3,500
            most of the time I'm running between 2,100 and 2,800 RPM  = quiet =
            Expect with a 400 3,200+ will be your standard RPM with 4,500+ on the big hills.

b)  Trailer width.  Expect you will want to add aftermarket mirror extensions
            to see well around the 400 { I dislike those aftermarket add-on / hang-ons }

c) Frontal Area . . . wind resistance.  Many articles note that for pick-up truck size towing
            wind resistance is a bigger factor on MPG and overall performance than load weight.
            GM does not provide Frontal Area [FA] data in their towing guides.  Ford does and a base
            F-150 set-up for towing is around 55-60 sq-ft FA.  I would assume the GM are that or
            slightly lower.

Now the 320S has a FA of ~46 sq-ft.  My V6 towing MPG averages 15 MPG, while
            the not towing MPG is in the 20-22 MPG range.

The 400 FA is ~63 sq-ft, that is 27% larger area than the 320S.
            So I suspect you will see even worse MPG when towing.
            While the extra weight will slow acceleration, etc.

So are the GM Twins a good TV choice for T@B 400 . . . depends on what is important to you.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    +1 for @MuttonChops post. 

I had a 2019 T@B 400 with a 2015 V6 4x4 Toyota Tacoma. Toyota’s specs says you can tow the 400, but it sure had to work to tow it. That large frontal area putting drag on the Tacoma was far too much in the Canadian Rockies. 8 to 9 mpg was totally unacceptable. 

The good part about the Tacoma was its trade-in value paid for half of the F-150. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    I tow a TaB 400 with a mid-size V-6 truck (Jeep Gladiator) designed in part for towing (max tow package), and it handles the 400 quite well.  The truck has an 8-speed auto transmission, and my towing RPMs are in the 2,000-3,00 range, no excessive engine noise in the cab.  That said, I tow at 55 to 60mph max.  So how fast you tow also needs to be factored in to thenTV’s capability.  It is more than just max tow and tongue weight ratings, it is trailer frontal area, and towing dynamics of thenTV being used.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    vhollowvhollow Member Posts: 71
    I towed my 2018 400 with a 2018 V6 Colorado, sister to the Canyon, for 2 years. I did not experience any transmission issues. I crossed the country from Texas to Maine, and Texas to the West Coast, twice, with separate trips to the Rockies, towing for about 30,000 miles. Throughout, I averaged 12 mpg. I did not use mirror extensions, because I could see through the trailer to check if anyone was close behind. MuttonChops, above, is essentially correct. The V6 will cruise below 3000 rpm at 65 mph, on flat terrain, without head winds. Add inclines or high winds and the rpms increase, first to the 3-4 k rpm range, then 4-5 k for steep roads, or high winds and high speeds. The V6 is a powerful, versatile motor with good mpg, but it can be a high rev motor with the Tab 400. My response would be to slow down to allow the 7 speed transmission to stay below 4000 rpm. Really, not such a bad solution on a long haul. That said, I discovered I wanted a 4x4 for my trailering and traded my V6 for the Colorado diesel, 4wd package. I now cruise while towing at 1800-2500 rpm, getting up to 3500 for steep ascents and high head winds. I have more torque but less horsepower. I average 14-15 mpg on long trips, and no longer need to slow down to keep the V6 rpms below he 4-5k range. I am happy with my new package, but really, the V6 is fine too if you don’t mind the high rpms or slowing down sometimes.
  • Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 271
    There is no problem towing a trailer that can’t be solved by slowing down. Having said that, no one wants to drive 40 mph up hills. I tow a 400 BD with a V6 VW Touareg and though I don’t set any speed records it does fine. I top out on the flats at 65 mph or maybe 70 mph with a tailwind. I bet a V6 Colorado would be in the same category. Just back off going uphill to keep the rpm’s down. That’s why they have passing lanes.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Options
    Wow @MuttonChops, thank you SO much for all that insight! 

Truth be told, I really wish I could just stick to my original vision and get a 320S. Canyon + 320S just seems like a match made in heaven! But the peace in my relationship comes first I suppose haha and it was a firm no to the 320S. 

Anyway, your detailed response helped me put a lot of things in perspective. I’m now thinking perhaps this truck will suffice for now since I’m a newbie and will be learning this entire process. Then when I’m ready for longer and more frequent trips it will be the perfect excuse to upgrade my truck 😉 
  • Options
    @vhollow thanks for the info! Super helpful to be able to learn from your experience, thanks so much for sharing. This community is great. 

Out of curiosity, what made you go with the Colorado diesel as opposed to a full sized truck? I’m just curious if it was strictly a towing decision, or if overall size of the truck factored in, or something else entirely. 
    The reason I ask is because before I even start towing something, I already have a love/hate relationship with my Canyon. Seems like I’m always going in and out of phases where I threaten to trade it in for a full sized Sierra or Silverado. 
  • Options
    @Binghi thanks, total newbie over here and I think I needed to hear that advice!
    Although I have to say that if I end up going through with this purchase, you might be to blame 😂 your comment gave me a lot of confidence in this decision haha 
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    I tow a 320s with a diesel.

I HAD the trans shudder issue resolved under warranty.

i have a friend with a 28’ TT that he tows with a V6. So a 400 is possible.  Quality of towing experience my be in question though...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    Pymbur said:
    . . .  I already have a love/hate relationship with my Canyon.
    Seems like I’m always going in and out of phases where I threaten to trade it in for a full sized Sierra or Silverado. 
    LOL =)   { { now getting a bit Off Topic } }
    My Colorado is the first Chevy I've ever purchased.
    Been a Ford Guy for decades.  Last Chevy I drove prior to the Colorado was Dad's straight six '63 station wagon 3-speed on the column and a real dog in the mountains of northern New Mexico.

The current GM Twins are the same overall size as my last Ford 1990 F-150; a 300-6 high torque engine regular cab SWB. . . really a great truck :)

I've been very pleased with the Colorado; size, performance, features.  One brother who also is a Ford truck guy (one very short life Chevy in his history) commented when I purchased the Colorado "any major US builder except Dodge (RAM) is OK", while another brother a life long GMC truck buyer was shocked I had switch brands . . .

Anyway, we all have love/ hate relationships with our trucks.  It is impossible for a single truck to meet every need and driving / towing demand after all humans designed them.

If I continue RV'ing with the 320S hope to get a new TV in 2022/23 . . . but looks like Colorado will join Ranger with one engine a 4-cly turbo . . . my VW diesel had a turbo and all was well . . . but the thought of the turbo (or is it two turbos) running while towing is something I need to think about.

On the plus side.  The few Ranger owners posting on this forum like the ranger 4-cly ecoBoost.

P.S.  On Canyon AT towing T@B 400
           1) Think your plan to see how it goes is good
           2)  If GMC AT package is like the Chevy Z71 package your truck has
                softer suspension (for off roading) which could mean you will need
                a WDH system or some rear spring aids to have a level TV.
                The tongue weight and camping payload in Colorado with 320S
                keeps my truck level +/- an inch . . . higher tongue weight of 400
                could produce some rear end sag.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    ExploreExplore Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2018 GMC Canyon gas engine and 2018 Tab 400.  I agree with what vhollow stated.  We have traveled through the Smoky Mtns , the Black Hills but not the Rockies — yet.  The vehicle has the power to pull but will rev high on the uphill.  I use a Curt sway bar which helped and provided confidence in windy situations.  You know you’re towing but confident with the truck.   I stay at max of 65 mph and average 13 mpg.  As to the transmission shutter, we never had issues towing but we have felt it on the truck on occasion when the engine is cold — we had it checked by the dealer and all is ok.  We like the truck and appreciate the great mpg.  
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @Explore, welcome to the forum. Thanks for so much information on your first post. Happy tabbing!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    simonseyzsimonseyz Member Posts: 44
    I'm using a 2016 Colorado with the v6 tv for my 2018 T@b 400 with no problems.

2018 T@B 400+++2016 Chevy Colorado, 3.6 V6
    Hamburg, NY
  • Options
    vhollowvhollow Member Posts: 71
    Responding to Pymbur and subsequent comments, when I would slow down to stay below 4000+ rpms, that would be to 65 mph, as opposed to the 70-75 range on flat interstates and on many wide-open Texas highways. So, slowing was hardly frustrating. Maybe I would briefly slow to 55-60 on a steep Rocky Mountain incline. No big deal. The V6 has plenty of power for a 3000 lb trailer. I also like the size of the mid-sized truck and the mpg’s when not towing. Finally, the truck fits nicely in my garage, where a 150 wouldn’t. I just have no need to go to a larger truck.
  • Options
    danny_teardropdanny_teardrop Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2021
    vhollow said:
    -So, slowing was hardly frustrating. Maybe I would briefly slow to 55-60 on a steep Rocky Mountain incline. No big deal.
    -The V6 has plenty of power for a 3000 lb trailer.
    -I also like the size of the mid-sized truck and the mpg’s when not towing.
    -Finally, the truck fits nicely in my garage, where a 150 wouldn’t. I just have no need to go to a larger truck.
    All attributes that make me lean towards the Colorado/Canyon as a TV.
    My only concern is the Colorado/Canyon transmission issues you can find all over the internet. I'm not able to determine how pervasive this problem is.