Options

Corrosion of Alde Convectors

1181920212224»

Comments

• Options
    grassgdgrassgd Member Posts: 133
    Finished repair and installation of the convectors which I repaired by cutting off the corroded ends and coating with 2 part epoxy. 

I mechanically cleaned the inside of the convectors and EPDM hoses to remove the white coating shown below:

This picture shows the white power that came out:

This shows a before and after cleaning of a convector:

I don't really know what the white coating removed was.  Don't think it was any type of corrosion because it was also in all the EPDM hoses.  My guess is was either a deposit of scale or a deposit resulting from the corrosion inhibitor in the original glycol.

I also trimmed some of the EPDM hoses where I was concerned with the integrity where there was excessive budging form the corrosion. I used some marine stainless steel railing to make connectors in lieu obtaining replacements form Alde since I had to accommodate for the shorter convectors and trimmed EPDM hoses.

Here is a picture of an example where I used a longer SS connector due to a shorter convector and trimmed EPDM hose:

Another picture showing the SS connectors being used:

I actually salvaged the original Alde check valve from the corroded aluminum pipe and installed it in a piece of stainless steel pipe.  

2019 T@B 320S
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,211
    I may have asked this before but have we heard of any corrosion happening on Rhomar-filled systems? I did a fluid exchange (Rhomar to Rhomar) last summer after two years and it looked practically new and no signs of crystallized chunks during the exchange. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road