Options

Battery Monitor

I read that it is important not to let the battery charge go below 50%. I have a new TAB400. Is there a way to monitor this or better still set an alarm? I understand that it is possible to buy a Victron monitor and have it installed but I wondered if there was something already existing that I am missing.  Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,655
    Do you have factory installed solar?  It should come with a Victron solar controller.  The Victrons have an app that will monitor your battery.

You can also learn to use a multimeter.  Or install a "shunt type" device that will also monitor the battery.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    The Victron 712 has display the mounts inside the trailer. It has an audible alarm. I am not 100% sure that the app will provide an audible alarm.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    This appears to be very similar to the Victron at a fraction of the price. Although it doesn’t offer blue tooth. Reviews have been very good. I also watched a YouTube video.
    I want to recommend this product at Amazon

AiLi Voltmeter Ammeter Voltage Current Meter Voltmeter Ammeter 100V 350A Caravan RV Motorhome 999 AH
    by Battery Monitor
    Learn more: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07FGFFHC6/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_imm_awdb_QWJZ56HJWBG4NGFXH0BN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    VinneyVinney Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the suggestions. I do have the solar package and found out that I can monitor the battery from the Victron App although there is no alarm to alert you if charge is getting low. 
  • Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    That battery level is only accurate if you're not running any loads and your solar or external power are not charging the battery.  It's really not a great readout.  If you're using that alone, keep to 50% discharge to be safe.

If you install a proper battery monitor, you can safely take your batteries to 20% (80% discharged) without damaging them, with only a small decrease in overall battery lifespan.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited April 2021
    Yes AGM batteries in the TaB400 should be capable of a deep discharged down to 20% remaining, stopping at 30% is better, and quicker to recover from.  @Vinney your solar should keep the batteries charged up, ours does, and right now after three days off the mains (AC) battery is still at 9%8-100% charged, with s battery monitor reading of around 14 VDC, due to the solar panel output.  In the winter with less sun, it is a 13.4-7 VDC when on AC hookup.  A USB fan is running 100% time to circulate air.  The solar in the fall kept up with the trailer running lights and the fridge during a week long camping trip.  So I find an alarm unnecessary.
    cheers

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    @Dalehelman said: This appears to be very similar to the Victron at a fraction of the price. Although it doesn’t offer blue tooth. Reviews have been very good. I also watched a YouTube video.
    I want to recommend this product at Amazon

AiLi Voltmeter Ammeter Voltage Current Meter Voltmeter Ammeter 100V 350A Caravan RV Motorhome 999 AH
    by Battery Monitor

I have this as well and found it very easy to install and set up. Gives you a lot of piece of mind to know the exact amp hour capacity and usage.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,655
    What Denny and Tom are trying to say about the Victron monitor:  to get the most accurate reading of voltage, the battery switch should be off, and the solar panel should not be producing much power.  Running things in the trailer and taking a reading will make you think your battery voltage is too low.  With the panel in full sun, taking a reading will show your battery to be "too high". 
    I can completely disconnect my solar panel during the day and turn off the switch and get a more accurate reading.  You might have to wait until dark to get the most accurate reading with an installed panel.

The reading of a "rested" battery is an issue no matter what the battery monitor type.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    aphillipsaphillips Member Posts: 27
    @qhumberd We just bought one of these for our 2022 400 BD. Where did you install the monitor panel and any other installation tips/tricks to share? Thanks! 
    2022 Tab 400 Boondock
  • Options
    WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 188
    We have the AiLi monitor and like it. I mounted ours in the lid of the battery box that is in the front tub (2021 320s boondock). That way I didn’t have to drill holes or run wires or anything. It is wired to a 100 aH Ampere Time lithium battery. 

I installed the battery and monitor at the same time. At first I was always checking it. As I hoped, I got more comfortable with the new battery and now only occasionally feel the need to open the tub to look at the monitor. I can also look at charging status and history with the Victron solar charger via Bluetooth. 

Of course, your installation will be different with the 400.  Like me, you’ll probably want to look at it often at the start. But as you learn the system and become more comfortable with it, you won’t need to look at it nearly as often, so it doesn’t need to be at eye level (IMO). 

2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  • Options
    edited August 2022
     Battery monitor mounting options on a TaB400 are next to the door, where the Alde and CoolCat controls are, fairly easy to access by removing the CoolCat or Alde monitor to access area behind, requires a hole saw to cut the panel.  

Another option is in the wardrobe (or 3-way fridge option) wall by the cubby, easy wire access from under bunk., or under the bunk next to the battery, easiest install, no holes in cabinets, but hardest to access to get a reading where you do not have a Bluetooth app option.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    OinfrontOinfront Member Posts: 37
    I also have the AiLi monitor. Its a great monitor. I have it mounted at the front door with the other monitors.
    2019 T@B 400
    2014 VW Touareg TDI 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    @Oinfront, your monitor install looks grand.  This is a good spot for the monitor, as the rest of the system monitors are there, and keeps everything together in one spot.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    @aphillips it’s not that hard if you have a distribution stud in your setup. In mine this allows connection without removing battery case in my 2019. I put some pics in this thread https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/12517/battery-monitor-recommendation-non-solar#latest
    and was going to mount mine near the outlet at the foot of the bed but found the space by the battery
    access/outside storage door works fine. So it just lies there beside the battery cutoff switch. I found I check it when hooking up and at stops and when in camp I don’t need to go inside. But your battery is more in the middle if I recall in your model year.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    Yes, the 2022 TaB400 battery is under the rear center area of the rear bunk.  The black distribution box show above, is between the battery box and rear outside storage locker divider.  Easiest access is,to remove the rear bunk center panel and the battery area cover panel.  
    Cheers 
  • Options
    aphillipsaphillips Member Posts: 27
    Thanks everyone! We really appreciate this forum. Working on a forum inspired silverware drawer modification now and will start on this battery monitor project next! 
    2022 Tab 400 Boondock