Options

CURT Echo Smart Control App Locks Android Phones

DonaDona Member Posts: 35
My husband and I each have an LG G6 phone.  We've successfully used the wireless brake controller until our last trip.  Now, when we tap on the App we get "System UI has stopped" and our phones freeze until we restart them. Because this started happening to both phones at the same time I'm thinking it's the APP or maybe our Androids??  Has anyone had this problem?  I've searched the internet and tried all kinds of crazy tips to deal with the System UI error.  We've uninstalled the App and reinstalled (many times), and each time we tap the app, the phone freezes. Thanks!
Dona & Ben / 2019 T@B 400, no solar, 2008 Tundra / Boise

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited April 2021
    Dona, I had a similar issue with my iPohne, when I didn’t pair it correctly.  The Echo controller unit needs to be plugged into the TV, the app opened and then the trailer connected when you see the solid green light on the controller.  Then the app should work.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Thanks Denny... that scenario no longer works for me. There’s a system problem with my phone ad the app.  I appreciate you, thank you.
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited April 2021
    @Dona Ouch. It still works on my Huawei Android phone this morning, but Curt does show they updated the app to 1.8.9 on the 5th in the Play Store (previous version 1.8.8 was 3/26/2021).  Do you have any old backup phone or tablet you can try that has the Echo Smart Control installed?  I don't think the carriers are pushing out updates for the G6 lately, but I could be wrong... it's most likely the app update that broke things for you guys.

If you try: 

https://m.apkpure.com/echo-smart-control/com.curtgroup

...and scroll down a ways, you can download 1.8.5, 1.8.3, or a previous version that used to work for you fine.  I use a couple malware detectors just to make sure apk files I load manually are less likely to be messed with by some bad actor, in case I have to manually load an old version of an app from my USB backup or a site like apkpure for situations just like yours.

You can also analyze any of the older APK packages from non play store generally accepted sites if you're a developer or have those tools.  You should see the exact same activity, receiver, permission, and service components used as the Google Play Store versions. The only difference on downloads from APKPure, for example, will be they build binary files like libc++_shared.so right into the APK to keep the main consistent with its libraries.  I checked those particular older versions and there were no additional suspicious links to sites like please_steal_my_identity. com... just the normal Google API links. Just don't use the APKPure app itself, as some nasty adware or malware was reported on in one recent version this year.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    Hi @DougH
    thanks for the awesome reply!  Neither T-Mobile nor Curt could help me, your solution makes sense.  Before I try your idea I’m going to ask a friend to download the app to see if a different phone works.  I clicked the link you gave me and see the older versions, but I’m nervous about your warning of malware... and downloading from APKPure. 

I do need a solution, however, because we have no trailer brakes. Don’t want to buy a new phone, and don’t want to ditch the wireless controller as it’s less than a year old... and there’s no room in the truck for a hard wired brake controller (gotta tall husband).  I appreciate your time and tips, especially checking out those older versions for malware. 

I’m just so curious why this happened to us and not everybody else? and if I download a different version could it happen again?  Etc... nagging mysteries!  Thank you!
  • Options
    @Dona Blame it on the hundreds of different kinds of Android phones.  Each time a developer makes new updates, there's a chance the new features don't work with some phones. Developers often test with the popular models, but sadly cannot auto-test with everything. The latest Curt version had some Bluetooth updates, and maybe they used a new mode the LG G6 hardware or software layers doesn't support. The G6 was popular, but less so than the latest Samsung, so there's proportionately less chance Curt's dev team (?) tested with it. 

It's hard to freeze on a perfectly deterministic combination that works forever though. Even if you go back to a version of Curt software that worked for you, Google Play Services is always being updated. That and other security updates can always lead to combinations that don't work. For example, I use a great audio frequency equalizer on various phones called "Neutralizer".  It will work for several months, then break for a month, then start working again... and it hasn't been updated in years. The surrounding layers of software it interacts with just sometime cooperate and sometime don't.

So a previous version is your best chance of getting the Curt to work right away with your particular phone. But as you say, a different phone will likely work, or with the next Curt update it may be working correctly again (watch for a date change from April 5th, 2021 on the What's New section of the ECHO Smart Control entry on the Play Store). You can leave a review on the Play Store that includes the phone model, when it used to work, and which release broke things, and that might accelerate the fix. But on apps with so many bad ratings, the developer(s) may not read the reviews too often.

Finally, my understanding from the Curt advertising is that the Curt will still work without the phone. It will just be stuck on the last sensitivity setting you used, and you won't have the big button to apply the trailer brakes without your tow vehicle brakes to stop swaying. Still better than nothing though, and you'll still have normal trailer brake function when you brake with the tow vehicle.

Guess somebody can quickly test that by setting the Curt to maximum sensitivity so the trailer always locks up below 10mph on gravel or dirt.  Then unhook the Curt completely, turn off the phone, connect everything back up, and see if it continues to work the same way. I can try that in the next few days if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    It does, Imalready tested it.  The Echo will still activate the trailer brakes at the last’s eating used.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    @DougH and @Denny16
    thanks for the help.  Your argument makes sense about the multitude of phones to check. I’m both amazed at technology and annoyed when it doesn’t work (until I hear why it doesn’t... then I feel ashamedly entitled).  Humans are amazing. Tech is amazing. The T-Mobile guy tried to talk me into trading in for a Samsung...  I always resist upgrading hardware to compensate for advancing software. Yet, I love using the software and get grumpy when my old stuff isn’t relevant any more.  Times, they are a changing.
    Well, the other good news is that we still have our trailer brakes based on our last setting. Thanks for the reminder and test, Denny.
    i appreciate you guys.
  • Options
    I had a friend download the Curt app onto her iPhone and it worked.  Happy to know it wasn’t the device or the app. Today we ordered new phones.  The good news is that they were free.  T-mobile has a free trade in promo for a cheap 5G Samsung right now.  Thanks for the great ideas offered here!
  • Options
    And for all the folks with Curt Echo brake controllers... don't forget to get the cute remote button.  That way you can watch a movie on Netflix or Prime on the phone without having to run the Curt Echo app to get the manual override stop button.  Curt sells a separate button for that.  I just have mine stuck on the dash near the steering wheel where I can tap it in an emergency if needed.