Options

2021 Tab 400 BD Load Carrying Capacity

We have a month to go before picking up our new 2021 T@b 400 Boondock.  We are new to trailering but so excited about this, and are working hard to assemble basic gear without going overboard.
My question is how much weight, over it's dry weight, the trailer itself can carry safely.  For this question, I'm leaving aside issues of the tow vehicle's pulling and tongue capabilities, and just trying to find out the cargo weight, including liquids, the trailer itself can handle.
A key figure that I have come across--and I'm hoping you can check me on--is that the maximum weight the T@b frame and axel can carry is 3900 lb.  I am not sure of this figure, and am also not sure if it applies to all T@b 400s, or if BD 400s are different.
The second key figure would be the trailer's dry weight, which I have seen listed for the 2021 400s as 2864 lbs.  I'm not sure if there is any difference for BDs.
If both these numbers are right, then the total weight carrying capacity of the 2021 400 BD should be 3900 - 2864 = 1036 lb. 
The 1036 lb. (if correct) would cover water (of all colors), propane, any added equipment (e.g., we're installing a PurpleLine and bike rack), and everything else carried inside.
For example, for boondocking, if I subtract off departing with a full fresh water tank (22 gal) and 5 gal of extra drinking water (@ 8.3 lb/gal), then we would be left with 1036-224 = 812 lb for everything else inside the trailer.
Any help you can give with these numbers is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    85Redwood85Redwood Member Posts: 52
    The TIRE AND LOADING INFORMATION sticker on my '21 T@B400 Boondock says "The weight of the cargo should never exceed 423 kg or 933 lbs."
    2021 T@B 400: boondock, 3-way fridge, microwave, solar
    2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7 L
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Yes, best to go by the Tire Loading Info sticker on the side of the trailer, as it’s dry weight can vary, depending on accessories installed.  The nüCamp TaB400 specification sheet shows: 
    GAWR:  3900 lbs
    Tongue Weight (Dry):  318 lbs
    Total Gross Weight (Dry):  2,876 lbs (this is less gas bottle and gas, water, and any gear in the front tongue box.  If you have the storage rack, this will increase dry weight, and will reduce your cargo rating on the sticker.  So you need to wait until your trailer arrives to get an accurate cargo rating for your trailer.

If you deduct dry weight from gross weight from the gross weight rating, you get 1,024lbs of cargo.   Now you add up the weight of a full gas bottle, any accessories added (like the cargo racks, or full size spar tire, and any water in the tanks, then deduct that from the 1024 lbs, and what you have left is how much cargo weight you can put in the TaB lockers, etc.  
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Tabbers4LifeTabbers4Life Member Posts: 9
    Thanks to both of you, this is really helpful.  I didn't know there would be a sticker on the T@b itself with extra weight and loading info.

As side questions, what are the optional cargo racks?  Is this something other than the bike rack, which we are having installed?  And, I thought a spare tire for the T@b came with it as a normal part of the trailer.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    The new Boondock model comes with an Aluminum tongue box (tub) mounted on top a rack with two side platforms.  This adds weight over a non Boondock tab.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.