Options

My experience towing 2021 Tab 320 with 2019 Subaru Outback

ChopinChopin Member Posts: 40
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum, but have been reading it for a while, in the run up to our purchase of a 2021 Tab 320, which I am pleased to say we received in December. Because we live in a cold northern state, it sat in the driveway until March. But that was a real benefit as we could take our time to learn all the systems and spend time in it (driveway camping!) and get to know it.

We have now taken it out on two trips, not including the delivery trip, which was 120-miles one way. Both of the camping trips were roundrips of about 250 miles each.

We tow it with a 2019 2.5L Subaru Outback. Before buying the Tab, I did as much research as I could about the advisability of towing with the Outback. I found mixed opinions, some people warning strongly against it, with others saying it's fine. There were others who said that it's fine on relatively flat terrain, but mountains should be avoided.

We decided to go ahead and tow with the Subaru, because this is our first RV and we did not want to have to get a new vehicle as well. Also, the weight of the Tab is well within the Subaru's factory rated towing capacity.

I am sharing this just to give my own personal experience. I am not making recommendations or giving advice. Everyone's needs are different and you should do you own research and get expert advice where needed.

That said, my initial verdict: It's working out fine and this was a good decision for us.

A bit more detail:

Our Outback did not come equipped with a tow package, so I had the dealer install the OEM tow package. I then had a towing expert convert the four-pin connection to a 7-pin and purchased a Curt Echo bluetooth brake controller. This is an excellent set-up.

We opted to get the Tab 320S without the Boondock package or microwave, but with the solar. The Boondock is nice, but it's about 200lbs of extra weight. We did not want the microwave anyway, but not getting it means saving weight and gaining a really spacious and conveniently spaced cabinet.

As far as towing is concerned. The first time we went out we went to the Cat scales and weighed everything. The tongue weight came to just about 200lbs with a full load of water (we were going to a camp ground where the water had not been turned on for the season yet).

The total weight of the trailer, the weight of the car, and each axle weight were well below limits. This was with two adults, everything we needed for camping, including water for several days. But we don't carry a lot of extra stuff like bikes or kayaks. We just like to camp.

The Subaru tows very easily. You just have to remember you are towing, so smooth acceleration and watch your speed. On the Interstate I cruise at no more than 60, and on other highways at 55. I've been watching the engine temperature and RPMs and at these speeds there are no issues at all. Cruising along on relatively flat terrain, the RPMs stay below 2,000 (Around 1,600-1,800), which means just a little higher than when not towing.

It handles grades fine, though I have not attempted (and don't plan to in the near future) crossing the Rockies or anything like that. That said, I think it could be done if one were to take it cautiously.

Certainly on short climbs of hilly roads at moderate speeds there is absolutely no shortage of power, and long gentle grades on the highway have also been fine.

With the Curt brake controller properly adjusted and the trailer brakes, the whole rig handles very nicely. Stopping distances feel pretty normal and I don't feel the car being pushed or pulled by the trailer. 

Fuel economy is 16.5 MPG if cruising mostly at 60, but goes up to around 18/19 if cruising mostly at 55 or below. That compares to overall around 24MPG with the car alone. So I don't think that's bad at all.

So, I just wanted to share our experience! Good luck to all.

Comments

• Options
    MikeDawn265MikeDawn265 Member Posts: 29
    Oh boy, here we go!

As you may have seen in other post, you are in for a barrage of criticism and negativity.  See my post about about my previous vehicle for a taste of what you are in store for. (2019 Dodge Journey 3.6 L)

I was actually told I should just driveway camp and not put the rest of the travelers in danger.

That vehicle was totally adequate for my camping experience at that time.

It pulled my 2020 T@B 320S great and I was was comfortable doing 500-700 mile trips. 

I did monitor my transmission temps and when they were getting high, I would take a break.  That did not happen often, only in very hot weather. 

We are now ready to venture on much longer cross country trips and decided to upgrade our tow vehicle. 

The bottom line is, if YOU are comfortable and feel your vehicle is OK for YOUR camping experience, then don't worry about getting validation on this forum.

Wisconsinites 2020 T@B 320 S - 2021 Dodge Durango GT Plus TV
  • Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    @chopin Thank you very much for that informative, real life experience towing with Subaru, I am sure you are going to get tech specs and numbers thrown at you.  I am looking at Subaru as a tow vehicle so this is very helpful. If 2019 Subaru was very adequate then I am sure 2021 Turbo will be better than adequate for towing 320.
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    edited April 2021
    First off, welcome to the club! 

I usually advise not to get an Outback to tow a 320.  If it's what you have,  it will work, but if you're buying specifically to tow, there are better vehicles for that.

I've used ours a few times (pre-CVT 3.6 6 cyl) and power was fine, but transmission temps were very high most of the time.  The dummy light never came on so it never reached critical temps, but for longevity of the car,  I only use it for flat land trips to kayaking destinations.  Most of our travel is mountainous, so the Xterra is a better vehicle for most of our trips.

Bottom line for me is it's more about the transmission temps, and I don't trust the CVT's yet, maybe someday I will.   The 320 is under the tow limits for the Subaru, and I don't feel it's a safety issue, just a longevity issue for the car.  We replace our Subie's every 15 - 17 years. :)

Enjoy your T@b!
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    @db_cooper Thank you for the feedback. Just out of curiosity I bought an OBD device so I can monitor the CVT temperature. I'll be taking the Tab out this weekend, so I will let you know. So far I feel completely comfortable with the Outback.
  • Options
    Have a great trip, will be interested to see how the CVT temps look.  If we towed with ours more often, I'd certainly get a transmission cooler installed.  I have no idea if those work with CVT's, but assuming they can.

• Options
    @db_cooper As far as I understand the Outback already has a CVT cooler, as opposed to the Legacy, which does not. But let’s see how it does! https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/will-installing-a-transmission-cooler-void-cvt-warranty.514684/
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    @db_cooper I can report that we towed the 2021 Tab 320 with a full load of water with the 2019 2.5L Outback for two hours cruising at 55-60mph over varied gradients (not mountains). The outside temperature was around 55-60F. During this time the CVT temperature never exceeded 183F. It stabilized at about 178F, which is the same temperature it reaches in similar conditions without the trailer. So it would appear that Subaru has engineered the car to do what they say it will do. 
  • Options
    @Chopin, glad to hear it's working for you.  We had to press ours into service for a planned Canadian rockies trip, with lots of mountain passes in summertime.   I can't remember the max transmission temp but it was well over 200. That's why I'm sticking to using the Subie for cool weather kayak trips from now on. That, and we're too short to put the kayaks on top of the Xterra. 😜

• Options
    jules2gojules2go Member Posts: 164
    Good conversation. I have a Tacoma and a Tab and plan to be in lots of mountain ranges in the future. I need to get rid of one of my two cars (because I can't afford two cars) and am wondering what I can get for a daily driver and a TV. I like the Tacoma but it's kind of a beast for daily driving and a gas guzzler.
    2020 Tab 320S BE "Moonbeam"
    2019 Toyota Tacoma 

Asheville, NC

"Don't postpone joy!"
  • Options
    SamrollseyesSamrollseyes Member Posts: 29
    I couldn't afford to have a second tow vehicle so that factored into my decision to buy the T@B (plus it's pretty darn cute!)
    My 2017 Outback towed my 2018 T@Bs just fine. My base altitude is about 4800 feet and I only go up from there. I rarely drive faster than 60 mph with the trailer even on the Interstate. I rarely travel more than 200 miles to my next camping adventure.  It is a bit disconcerting to see the gas gauge needle plummet while climbing the 5 mile 6% grade headed to Yellowstone but I took it easy. Having said that, my old Subaru was rated at 2500 lbs towing capacity SO...I did trade it in for a 2021 Subaru Onyx (turbo) with a 3500 lb tow capacity. I feel much more comfortable about the TV/trailer combo (I still remain vigilant and weight and rarely tow with any fresh water on board). When not towing I have a great do everything car and when towing, I have a pretty good towing and everything car. 
    You do you and have a great time! Welcome to the group!!!

• Options
    SusanDSusanD Member Posts: 87
    Hi, I have the same setup as you, 2021 tab 320 and 2019 Outback 2.5l engine.  Last year I drove it from BC to Ontario and back, across the Rockies and everything in between.  It handled beautifully although I definitely slowed down (sometimes a lot) going up steep inclines.  No worse than the trucks on the highway and mostly better and I tried to never get my tachometer up past 4 which was my way of trying not to overtax the engine.  I tried to minimize towing weight (water) when driving so I mainly stayed where I could hook up and when I couldn't I just used a couple of water jugs. So, enjoy the ride, you'll be fine!   
    2021 Tab320S Boondock, 2019 Subaru Outback 2.5
  • Options
    CandyGCandyG Member Posts: 4
    I took my 2017 T@b 320 cs-s out with my 2019 Subaru Outback 2.5 for the first time this past weekend. It handled well on inclines although I did feel the difference. I would like to take it through a real mountain pass such as the Cascades, but am a little nervous about it. I’m wondering if anyone has done that.