Options

Another Lithium Upgrade

I've been following all the recent discussions on various aspects of battery and solar upgrades and rather than trying to piggyback onto one of those, it seemed easier to start a fresh one.

I have a 2020 320S Boondock Lite with factory solar and Victron 75/10 controller. My plan is to install a 100ah Lithium battery, Victron Smart Shunt and add a supplemental 100W Renogy portable suitcase installing an external port instead of alligator clips. So here are my questions:

BattleBorn seems to be the brand of choice. A 100ah BB looks like a Group 27 size which would mean changing out the battery box as well. Alternatively, Renogy's 100ah unit measures a stock Group 24 (and is $100 less than the BB) but I have not seen much posted here about Renogy lithiums. Does anyone have any feedback/opinion on one vs the other?

I can get the Renogy suitcase kit with or without their PWM controller but given that I will be using extension cables, would I be better off getting another Victron 75/10 that I can install near the battery, or would the voltage loss be negligible?

So, am I on the right track here? Have I left anything out? I appreciate any feedback/questions/input from your collective wisdom.

Thanks, as always.
Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
2019 Subaru Ascent Premium

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,528
    Plenty of people use suitcase models with the controller at the panels with good results.  The main issue is make sure the controller is waterproof - not all of them are.  While not ideal in terms of voltage loss (which is also dependent on distance of your extensions) your suitcase is essentially supplemental to your installed solar.  I think that the only big advantage of using another Victron controller is to network them on VictronConnect.  A PWM controller on a 100 watt suitcase is fine.  Seeing how you already have an installed panel with a maximally efficient controller, you aren’t losing much using the built in PWM controller.  Also, by using the built in controller suitcase model and the the solar port it is really plug-n-play.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio