Options

Honda Stand alone or Companion

I am seeking input  and clarification on the Honda 2200i standalone and companion pro's and cons as a first and possibly only generator.  I may want to purchase a second down the road for use at home.  I know there are cheaper units out there but I like and have a few Honda items already and am satisfied with there reliability.

Are these statements true if only using one generator?

1. They both use the same engine and supply the same amount of power ?  Some sites claim a 10% increase with the companion.
  2. Both require an adaptor to plug into the trailer
  3. The companion 30amp outlet is only supplying 30amps when combined with the standalone.
  4. I already have the  adapter for the shore power extension cord to plug into the 20 amp receptacle that came with the trailer.  Why buy another adapter to plug into the 30amp on the companion.  
  5. When Honda advertises the companion as rv ready its just marketing.  
I am feel that the standalone is the logical way to go as a backup power source for charging the batteries on my 400 Boondock.

Runaway30

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    Do you have the factory solar panel option on your TaB400 BD?  If so, it will keep yiur batteries charged quite nicily.  The only reason to get a generator would be for running the CoolCat AC, or whilst camping in a deep forest, with little sun.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I bought a companion only because if I later decided to pair, the regular one is much easier to find.

In addition it does have the twist lock connecter and I bought a twist lock neutral ground bonding plug. I think it a little stouter and certainly with twist lock is more secure. Too bad it wasn't an RV 30a plug.

I think all of your assumptions are correct.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 171
    I went through the same thought process in 2018. I settled on a "regular" eu2200i. In 2020, I added a MicroAir EastStart for the a/c unit so that I wouldn't need or even think about a second Honda. The 2200i pretty much handled everything prior to the EasyStart, but I wanted to make it easier to start at altitude in very hot weather here in the high desert. The Honda partially failed me starting up for a while on a 105-degree day once and I haven't forgotten that possibility.  
    If you're going to emergency power the house down the road, that's when to consider the Companion or something larger. You don't want to camp dragging two Honda units with a Tab.
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD