Options

seven pin wiring

argemargem Member Posts: 17
I'm so sorry, i have searched many pages and can not find what I need. One of those things you read, then when you need it can't find the right keyword. I'm finally getting rid of the four pin for seven pin.i remember reading about an extra heavy wire running from TV back to camper and the value of having it. When I mentioned to front clerk she had never heard of it. So now I'm worried,. have an appt in a few hours and can't find my answer.   2005 DM -CS towing with 2014 venza
Ron & Abbie-Ashland,Ky 2005DM CS towed by 2014 Venza

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,496
    A 10 gauge charge wire will help deliver power to the TaB battery.  I believe someone also mentioned to have the 7 pin ground wire a 10 gauge.
    I think that is what you were after.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    yes it is thank you so much. but consider me a newbie, where does it go from here to there? I dont want to seem like an idiot if I have to have a discussion with technician
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Just let them know that you need a 10 gauge wire for 12v battery charging.  Both the 12v wire and the ground wire is part of the tow vehicle 7 pin.  The charge wire runs from the tow vehicle battery to the tow vehicle 7 pin. Just make sure they know you need to charge/top off your TaB battery.  If you don’t have electric brakes on your TaB (I think your DM has surge brakes), you may not need to have the 7 pin brake wire connected, but you may want to have it connected anyway just in case you get a trailer with electric brakes down the road.  It will not actuate your surge brakes, so no worries of having it installed.  
  • Options
    Thank you Thank you ! !
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @argem, is your Venza a 4 cylinder or a 6 cylinder? The 4 cylinder can tow 1,000 lbs and the 6 cylinder can tow 3,500 lbs. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    @argem, here is a typical 7-pin connector. The wire in question is the one feeding the "Aux 12V+ Charging" pin.

On the T@B side, this connects to your battery and your converter. This allows a running vehicle to power the fridge etc. in the camper, and--more importantly--charge the camper battery while driving.

Performance of this circuit can apparently be improved by using heavier wiring on the vehicle side.

2015 T@B S

• Options
    Thank you all! You will be probably be hearing from me again cause they did put the brake controller in and have no idea about the in's and out's.  I may grab someone at Nu camp. And yes Verna I have v 6!

• Options
    edited April 2021
    What kind of place did the install?  RV dealer, Utility Trailer shop, Car dealer, U Haul?
    Do you mean they installed the brake wire or a brake controller or ?
  • Options
    RV place I haven't had a chance to check it all out yet