Options

vibration

kteichertkteichert Member Posts: 21
We are getting vibration in our Jeep Grand Cherokee when pulling our 2018 TAB 400 at speeds of 54-60 mph
It is pretty noticeable
We can't see any balancing bars on the tires- do they get balance?
Is there anything else that could be causing the vibration?

Comments

• Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    How many miles on your tires?  What brand tires?
    I had a vibration on a van as I was traveling from LA to TX one time.  On the Interstate at about 70 mph I noticed a slight vibration.  It got worse as I travelled but nothing very alarming--until the tread separated from the carcass!  The vibration was coming from a bulge between the tread and the carcass that grew until the tread separated.  These were NOT retread tires and only had about 40,000 miles on them.
    I have no idea how you could check for a potential separation except to jack the vehicle (tow vehicle or trailer) and manual rotate the tire while observing/measuring the outer circumference of the tire.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    edited April 2021
    NuCamp does not balance any of the trailer tires.  We did ours soon after purchase.  Just to be clear, is it a vibration or are you feeling a tug due to the TaB wind resistance?  If you haven’t towed before, it is a different sensation.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Thanks- it is a vibration- I do feel the tug too sometimes, is there anything that helps that?  So I am gathering we should just take the tires to a tire shop and have them balanced?  It can't hurt right? The inside tread on one seem lower than the other treads.  We got the trailer used- it is a 2018 and the previous owner says it has about 10,000 miles on it.

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    NuCamp was using balance beads inside the tires, don't know if that is currently the case? If those are in there, you don't want to try an balance with lead.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    kteichert said:
    Thanks- it is a vibration- I do feel the tug too sometimes, is there anything that helps that?  So I am gathering we should just take the tires to a tire shop and have them balanced?  It can't hurt right? The inside tread on one seem lower than the other treads.  We got the trailer used- it is a 2018 and the previous owner says it has about 10,000 miles on it.

If you bought the trailer used and it still has its original tires it would probably be a good idea to take it to a good tire or utility trailer shop and have everything checked. Probably time to get new tires and repack the wheel bearings. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Thanks I know the previous owner had the bearings oiled and packed before it got shipped up.  Is there anything else that might cause the vibration just at that narrow speed window?

• Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited April 2021
    My 2019 320 S Boondock Tires came from the factory with balancing beads.  If balancing is not the issue, consider using a hitch-tightener.  That should resolve any tug, or clunking, created by the play where the hitch slides into the tow vehicle receiver.

This is the one I use.  It completely eliminated those issues for me:

https://www.amazon.com/Tightener-LIBERRWAY-Anti-Rattle-Stabilizer-Installation/dp/B01KZ25Y26/ref=sr_1_1?crid=LAWV25TVUXPT&dchild=1&keywords=liberrway+hitch+tightener+for+1.25"+and+2"+hitches+304&qid=1619212230&sprefix=libberway+hitch+tight,aps,216&sr=8-1

Here's a discussion thread about the hitch-tightener:

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/8526/tow-sounds#latest

NOTE:  To clarify the illustration below - - - when installed, the U-Bolt will be flush against the tow vehicle receiver opening.  There is another graphic that depicts that in the above-referenced discussion.

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Thanks for that I will definitely look into the hitch tightener
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Most tires that are supplied buy trailer chassis manufacturer’s are provided by the lowest bidder.  Have them checked for out of round and balance. Consider new tires from a quality manufacturer.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    If you are seeing uneven tire wear you should have the TaB brakes checked.  I think I would replace the tires.  If you keep the tires, you may want to ask nuCamp if they are putting beads in all their tires or just the Boondock tires.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    @kteichert Back in 2019 I put fresh tires on the station wagon tow vehicle.  Car drove great.  No vibration.  But towing the T@B on a road trip a week later, I'd get a horrible vibration on certain roads above 50mph. Pressures and temperatures of tires were all fine. I was worried it might be a trailer or vehicle bearing.  Ended up in a dealership for my previous tow vehicle in Albuquerque to rule that out first. Thinking bearing or axle shaft or transfer case. I know... not optimistic enough. Maybe too much coffee.  Anticipating $3k bill. They came back and said just the new tires. Service tech said they always balance to under 5 gram discrepancy...  better if they can. The tire shop had one at 8gm off and one at 15gm off. Never noticed it in the car alone. But while towing, and on some kinds of roads, bizarre vibration. Once car perfectly balanced, everything was fine.

Who knew that could happen. I've no idea if that has any possibility of being your problem as well.  But maybe.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    My 2019 400 had beads in the non-boondock tires--but not much.  About a teaspoonful.  I doubt that small amount was doing any good anyway.  I replaced the tires with Goodyear Endurance tires and had them balanced with balancing weights.
  • Options
    Doug H- thanks for that info- we just got new tires on the tow vehicle maybe that is it!