Options

Coupler Lock Recommendation?

NorCalMikeNorCalMike Member Posts: 52
edited April 2021 in Products and Accessories
I would like to get a lock in place before my new 400 shows up so looking at PI and Ft Knox.  But not sure what coupler is on the trailer chassis.  NuCamp tells me the frame is a Norco 270101 but  I don't see that number on their site or B&L.   Does anyone know what coupler is on the 400?   I guess what I ultimately need to understand is what model PI and Ft Knox I should consider.  Also thinking of getting a wheel lock if any ideas on that front.  Thanks! 

Comments

• Options
    TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    For Proven coupler lock, you'll want the 2178-A.  Discussed here: https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/157011#Comment_157011

I received mine a month ago for my 2021 Tab 400 and it fits great
  • Options
    HuCampHuCamp Member Posts: 27
    I use the Fort Knox Atwood Plus. Also use a wheel lock like this one
    2021 T@b 400 Boonie
    2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4
  • Options
    dlbdlb Member Posts: 141
    I ordered a Proven lock for my 400 that was delivered in January.  They asked for a couple of pictures of the coupler.  They turned the pictures into an order in less than 30 minutes.
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
  • Options
    RMoRMo Member Posts: 145
    I’ve been wondering if a simple high-quality hitch pin lock would work if you placed a ball slightly larger than a golf ball in the hitch and locked it in.  Thoughts?
    2019 T@B 400
    2017 Highlander Limited Platinum
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited April 2021
    @RMo, some people have left their tow vehicle ball in the hitch and locked it in. The only problem is the hitch pin is the weak point. 

But as most people will tell you, any lock you put on is a deterrent so a thief will go to the next camper with no lock, so try it or just buy a second 2” ball and put it in the hitch then lock it. . 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Thanks @Verna, I think I’ll give it a try.  I had yet to worry about theft but reading this and other threads I’ll go with better somewhat safe than really sorry.  
    2019 T@B 400
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Any good lock is better than no lock.  I use a tight fitting pin lock when the TaB is connected to the TV, and this is the only lock on my utility ad boat trailers when parked, have not lost one yet.  You want a lock that fits tight on the hitch, so there is not room for a saw or pry bar on the pin part.
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    I have a good tight fitting pin lock so I'll just find a good sized ball to lock into the hitch for a bit more theft deterrent.
    2019 T@B 400
  • Options
    My 2 cents - if I'm paying $40k on a premium trailer, I'm not skimping on the lock - $250 buys a lot of peace of mind, and ensures would-be thieves move on looking for an easier target.  Coupler locks (and hitch pin locks) can be snapped in seconds with a 2 foot pipe or a heavy hammer strike, and they can always just tow you away using just your chains if they want it badly enough.  The Proven lock secures both the coupler and the chains.  Sure, it can be picked like any lock given enough time, skill, and determination - but I don't think there are too many opportunistic thieves that will carry a set of lock picks and crawl under your coupler to try to pick a lock - they're looking for the quick score..
  • Options
    FreespiritFreespirit Member Posts: 131
    x2 on TomCanada comments, purchased a Proven  lock and have no regrets. Lock looks good when on trailer and I can leave the T@B alone all day and not worry about it. Yes I do have excellent trailer insurance to cover the cost if I do come back to the T@B and it has left without me.
    2020 TAB 320 U
    TV 2022 Highlander
  • Options
    So now I’m curious.  How frequent are camper thefts?  Are they an urban issue? a campground issue?  Boondocking?  I don’t suppose there are readily available stats but I find it hard to worry too much about an issue I don’t know is a real problem.  Any theft experiences out there in NuCamp Land?
    2019 T@B 400
  • Options
    Most of the camper thefts I have heard of have been T@B 320 size and smaller, although one 30’ was stolen a month or so ago. 

I can only think of two T@B’s that were stolen from homes/apartment parking lots/alleyways, and the others have been from storage lots. Unfortunately, two, including @MandyLea first T@G teardrop were stolen and used for illegal drug making. Those two were not salvageable. 

No, I do not know how well these were locked. But always remember, locks are for honest people. Lock it up as well as you can and as well as you can afford, and keep replacement insurance on it. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    I've heard of all sorts of sizes and shapes of RV's being stolen, but it's usually from RV storage lots.  Very rare to have something taken from a home or campsite - but never say never!
  • Options
    Mandy Lea lost her trailer while parked in a rural campsite.  I have a Proven Ind. lock I use when our TaB is stored and when it is left on its own for any length of time.  That said, a thief with a flat bed trailer could still load it up a take it away.  :o
    cheers
  • Options
    dlbdlb Member Posts: 141
    edited May 2021
    Buy a good coupler lock and back that up with replacement insurance.  We have a policy through State Farm that is full replacement cost of a current model for 10 years, until 2031, for about $400 per year.   Someone steals it, I get to order a new one….  I sleep well.
    2021 Tab 400 Boondock
    2020 Audi SQ5
  • Options
    dlb said:
    ....full replacement cost of a current model for 10 years,...
    Maybe you should take the lock off in a few years...😉
    2019 T@B 400
  • Options
    Denny16 said:
    Mandy Lea lost her trailer while parked in a rural campsite.  
    @Denny16, this is incorrect. Mandy Lea’s T@G was stolen from her apartment parking lot.  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    OK, thanks Verna, I misunderstood her when she mentioned it in one of her videos while out camping.  Will change my post, thanks for the correction.
    cheers