Options

400ah Gyll battery and CIGS solar install in a 2019 T@B 400

With inspiration from @subfreq111 and @morey000, and with technical advice from YouTubers David Poz, RV with Tito, and Will Prowse, we undertook an upgrade to the electrical system in our TAB 400.  Our goal was to be able to boondock without worry, but also to be able to keep the A/C on for our favorite dog for a few hours if needed. 

Using a LifePower EG4ll 400ah LiFePO 12v battery from Signature Solar that cost about $375 per 100 ah of storage (v. Battle Born at about $900 per 100 ah), we installed the battery, charger, inverter, shunt and breaker under the bed on a platform that can be removed if necessary.  We installed a shore power/inverter transfer switch in the space under the 3-way fridge, and placed the solar controller in the Alde compartment.  The two 80w CIGS panels from Rich Solar are mounted fore and aft of the vent covers with wires going through the roof behind the vent pipe and running behind the fridge to the controller. 

As a final step, we replaced the existing battery disconnect with an A/B/OFF switch – to enable use of the new battery for DC directly, and we installed a contactor/switch to disengage the LiFePO battery whenever the inverter came on – to avoid self-charging. 

If anyone has suggestions or wants more detail, let me know.  Looking forward to a nice long road trip!

2019 T@B 400
2017 Highlander Limited Platinum

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Nice install.  What size (Watts) inverter did you use to run the CoolCat AC? 
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    RMoRMo Member Posts: 145
    edited April 2021
    Thanks, The inverter is a Giandel 3000 watt.  I thought 2000 would be OK but the form factor of the 3000 fit better and I like to oversize if there is any doubt.  The CoolCat draws about 850 watts from the battery when maxed out.
    2019 T@B 400
    2017 Highlander Limited Platinum